Seravalli: Johnny Gaudreau informed the Flames he will not be returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Wow, this is actually insane news to me.

IMO the right move for CGY. Won't be worth next contract. Just a feeling.

If CGY gets Kadri for about 8, that's a huge win for them. More of their identity and will go further, imo.

Reactions: Kimota

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I think Johnny will age fine for the most part, but I think expectations should be that you maybe get 4 good years on this 7 year deal, maybe the fifth year is decent. If you get good 6th / 7th years, count your blessings.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Wow, this is actually insane news to me.

IMO the right move for CGY. Won't be worth next contract. Just a feeling.

If CGY gets Kadri for about 8, that's a huge win for them. More of their identity and will go further, imo.

Gaudreau at 11>Kadri at 8

I think Johnny will age fine for the most part, but I think expectations should be that you maybe get 4 good years on this 7 year deal, maybe the fifth year is decent. If you get good 6th / 7th years, count your blessings.

I think you're getting at least 5. I don't see him falling off by 33. 34 can get iffy but I think there's still a good player there and hopefully by then the cap has risen enough that at worst it's something you can stomach

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Let's say Gaudreau said he wanted to test the market. Calgary is leading the Pacific by a large margin. Do they trade him?

I don't think they do anything differently. They probably hope a long playoff run changes his mind. I mean just look at Winnipeg, PLD literally told them I will not re-sign here and they're convinced they can change his mind.
in knowing that in the offseason, couldn't they have traded his rights to at the very least obtain something in return?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
in knowing that in the offseason, couldn't they have traded his rights to at the very least obtain something in return?

What team would want his rights?

He's turning 29 next month. Getting his rights just means you can sign him to an 8 year contract instead of 7. Do you think a team wants to give up assets to sign him until 35-36? Also, when you know he's leaving Calgary, why trade for his rights?

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Only Flames fans thought this wasn't actually happening lmao. Who would want to stay there after the fans regularly trash him for years while he's carrying Sean's jock the whole time.

NJ would be an amazing fit after missing out on Slaf.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I know it hurts but it's better for the Flames to not have given him a golden pond.

Now. They should have predicted him going away. A player this important to your club should not be leaving as UFA. They should have extended him one year ago or traded him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think Guadreau could care less about world rankings on where to live.
Guys from Northeast US, if he wants to move there by all means he has the right since he's a free agent.
It varies by player and person obviously. JVR wanted to stay in Toronto but we wouldn't give him that deal since that cap space was needed for JT.
No. Edmonton is about 3 hours from Jasper. It's a 40 minute drive to Canmore and an hour to Banff from Calgary.

About the same time it takes the average torontonian to drive 10km on the 401
I have cousins in Jasper and have been multiple times. I'd lose my mind if I had to spend more than a week there. The elk have more power than the people, and a shopping trip means going to Wal-Mart in Hinton. But, I also realize there are people who love that lifestyle due to the positives I'm relatively indifferent too (nature hikes, skiing, etc). And, I get others would hate living in a crowded city. Granted, I would avoid the 401 at all costs during rush hour.

Reactions: Oneiro and 5 14 6 1

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Neutral fan here who would just love to see you choke on your keyboard. Just such a useless, insensitive, and dimwitted post.
If you are neutral, what are you so butthurt about? lol, choke on my keyboard? haha. That stick up your ass must really be agitating you...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Find it surprising that there are no concrete rumours of where he and a few other higher end UFA's are going to sign. Last year, it seemed like the top 25 guys available we knew where they were going the day or two before UFA opening. Not a complaint, just find it surprising.

My prediction, is he signs with one of these 3 teams:

Seattle
New Jersey
Philadelphia (this is the one I expect the most)

Reactions: Nate070

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
It's bittersweet. You probably can't win a cup paying Gaudreau 10+ million but he is such a unique and electrifying player who makes any team he plays for all the more enjoyable to watch. I would have still loved to have him the next 8 years in a Flames uniform. I don't like that he dragged this out and informed management so late into summer. Sure, it's management's job to have a contingency plan for if he leaves but until you actually get the final word, it makes negotiating with your other players more difficult without knowing the full picture of your roster moving forward.

At the end of the day it's a business to them and most of us fans cheer for the logo on the front of the jersey, not the names on the back. What the Flames do next this off-season will define the franchise for years to come.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I mostly wonder what this means for Tkachuk, kinda expected that Gaudreau would move on.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Whoever pays for Gaudreau will regret that contract. Unless they just want to entertain the crowd, which is something that has its own merit.

30 goals from Kovalev is not the same as 30 goals from Pacioretty.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Dudes built like a 12 year old. Maybe his body don’t break down… but if he ever gets sloppy one night with his head down… you never know.

That can happen to anyone. I mean it literally happened to a giant in Lindros. Gaudreau has missed 17 total games in his career. 0 in the past 4 years.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Dudes built like a 12 year old. Maybe his body don’t break down… but if he ever gets sloppy one night with his head down… you never know.
He's got a pretty excellent history of avoiding injury. Heck, the only time he really missed time from an injury was when he got two handed and broke his finger.

Reactions: Hisch13r
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad