Seravalli: Johnny Gaudreau informed the Flames he will not be returning

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I genuinely feel for Flames fans.

Canadian small markets (Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa) just can't compete with the many advantages of other markets. These have to be the 4 least desirable landing spots of almost every NHLer - draftee, free agent, traded player... you name it, none WANT to play in these locations. Then they also have to compete with some of these teams having significant tax advantages.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
what was the reason he declined to not re-sign? if money was not the reason?
Treliving said family.

The belief is he wants to play at home because Gaudreau and his wife are both from the Philly area, both their families live in the Philly area. She is pregnant with their first child, also works in a children's hospital in Philly. In Calgary his wife wouldn't have the familial support that she would in the Eastern US, where pretty much any city is less than a 2 hour flight from Philly without having to deal with customs.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
No question Treliving signs a big name UFA within the next few days to replace Gaudreau. Daryl Sutter is probably already harping him about it.

Do the Flames get Kadri? Wouldn’t be shocked.

Reactions: Devonator

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Canadian small markets (Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa) just can't compete with the many advantages of other markets. These have to be the 4 least desirable landing spots of almost every NHLer - draftee, free agent, traded player... you name it, none WANT to play in these locations. Then they also have to compete with some of these teams having significant tax advantages.
Alberta teams are actually middle of the pack in the nhl for taxes.

FreudsLeatherJacket

Oct 19, 2019
I mean the only cities ranked ahead of Calgary for liveability were Vienna, Copenhagen, and Zurich.

Came out as the most liveable city in North America

I've never been to Calgary and I'm sure it's a great city, but that said those types of rankings are completely meaningless. Why is the Economist Intelligence Unit the arbitrator of what makes a city the most "livable." What the hell does "livable" even mean to them? Is their definition of livability the same as others? What random metrics did they decide are the most important in a city? Would actual human beings find these metrics more important over their actual personal preferences?

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
With Johnny walkin’ the pacific has had far more subtraction than addition. The weakest division needs a huge free agency or it’s likely if Vegas stays healthy they take it easily

Reactions: Devonator

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I'm sure Calgary is a great city but I can see why someone would pick Philly even disregarding family. Philly itself is a big city and it's also close to NYC, DC, and the beach.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Treliving said family.

The belief is he wants to play at home because Gaudreau and his wife are both from the Philly area, both their families live in the Philly area. She is pregnant with their first child, also works in a children's hospital in Philly. In Calgary his wife wouldn't have the familial support that she would in the Eastern US, where pretty much any city is less than a 2 hour flight from Philly without having to deal with customs.

There's that, but his dad Guy Gaudreau had some health issues in the last few years. IIRC, John took a leave of absence for that. His mom also often misses him and Matthew and their family is very tight.

To be fair, the Gaudreau's (not just John) have embraced Calgary as a second home. But... it seems there are some very specific circumstances that have caused them to think very hard about settling back down at home. I wish the Gaudreau family the best. It's quite sad. It's like hearing about a long time friend who has decided to move away elsewhere for legitimate family/career reasons. You feel betrayed, but deep down, you also know it wasn't a personal vendetta against you.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Alberta teams are actually middle of the pack in the nhl for taxes.
That's why I said "some".

Of the US teams that pay more taxes... most of them are in significantly more desirable lifestyle, weather &/or in-season-travel markets.... California teams, New York teams (Rangers/Islanders are basically the exact same as the Alberta teams), Jersey, Philly and Minny.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
That’s your opinion. There’s plenty of nice parts in the lakes and forests of the north.
Fair enough....I own a farm near Kindersley and I guess I am going by that area.....quite flat and not very attractive....but great farmland for sure for growing....

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I had Calgary picked to win the cup. No way Trevling could trade Gaudreau, and at the draft...at that point the late round pick is not worth completely destroying even the slightest chance of resigning him. No blame on Trevling here at all...just unfortunate, but it's a business.

Reactions: majormajor

Bond

May 10, 2012
No question Treliving signs a big name UFA within the next few days to replace Gaudreau. Daryl Sutter is probably already harping him about it.

Do the Flames get Kadri? Wouldn’t be shocked.
Don't want Kadri. That will be a bad contract the day it is signed especially to Calgary as it would be a gross overpay

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I'm sure Calgary is a great city but I can see why someone would pick Philly even disregarding family. Philly itself is a big city and it's also close to NYC, DC, and the beach.
In-season travel also is a huge difference than playing in Calgary... this can play a significant factor in these players decisions, especially when they have kids... AND WIVES!

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021

And I wonder why a canadian team hasnt won the Stanley Cup in my almost 30'years of existence...

Habs win Cup in 93.

Batman takes Office in Spring of 93.

Since then. No Canadien Teams have won a Stanley Cup.

But Arizona has a team playing for a crowd of 200 people....

1657690167818.jpeg

Reactions: zar

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Lake Louise isn't 45 minutes from Calgary or Edmonton. The rest of your post is drivel, as usual.

When did I say Lake Louise is 45 mins from Calgary or Edmonton? I said it's closer to Calgary than Edmonton.

There's a reason Alberta and Manitoba are significantly less populated than Ontario for example. The vast majority of the world would prefer not to be in -30 temperatures half the year in an underdeveloped city (relative to Toronto and major American markets). A few guys from Edmonton will tell you it's great though.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Don't want Kadri. That will be a bad contract the day it is signed especially to Calgary as it would be a gross overpay
Flames owners want to push for the cup next year regardless. I think they make a serious offer at Kadri just for the fact they tried to trade for him once when he was a leaf and he just won the cup. What a perfect fit in Calgary.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
what I don't understand is, if Gaudreau wasn't interested in staying in Calgary due to family reasons ... then why the f*** did he drag the Flames all the way till the last minute for??!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
what I don't understand is, if Gaudreau wasn't interested in staying in Calgary due to family reasons ... then why the f*** did he drag the Flames all the way till the last minute for??!

I don't think he dragged the Flames, he never said he'd sign with them.

The issue was more the result of an incredibly weak division with Vegas injured and Calgary decided to go for it because they were winning the division. The weak division made them think they were closer than they really were though. You can't blame them though, what kind of team winning the division is going to trade their star player?

Calgary can sign Kadri and be just as good next season. It's not a big blow to them because the playoffs aren't tough to make in the Pacific. You just got to be better than 2 of EDM/VGK/SJ/LA/VAN/ANA/SEA.

I think this exact same Flames teams minus Gaudreau finishes top 3 in the Pacific. That's why they're in a tough position. If money is the goal, the owners can milk a few playoff births before the Pacific actually becomes competitive. However, this team probably isn't close to winning a Cup (without signing players to replace Gaudreau). So it's - make the playoffs and hope for the best, or blow it up, lose money, but have a greater chance at the Cup in a few years - but then the division might be tougher to get out of by then also.

Last edited:

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal

The issue was more the result of an incredibly weak division with Vegas injured and Calgary decided to go for it because they were winning the division. The weak division made them think they were closer than they really were though. You can't blame them though, what kind of team winning the division is going to trade their star player?

Calgary can sign Kadri and Kane and be just as good next season. It's not a big blow to them because the playoffs aren't tough to make in the Pacific. You just got to be better than 2 of EDM/VGK/SJ/LA/VAN/ANA/SEA.

I think this exact same Flames teams minus Gaudreau finishes top 3 in the Pacific. That's why they're in a tough position. If money is the goal, the owners can milk a few playoff births before the Pacific actually becomes competitive. However, this team probably isn't close to winning a Cup (without signing players to replace Gaudreau). So it's - make the playoffs and hope for the best, or blow it up, lose money, but have a greater chance at the Cup in a few years - but then the division might be tougher to get out of then also.
I feel bad for the organization and fan base. Especially at his prime, and where Calgary were at. Should he have told management he wasn't interested in staying, for whatever reason? Yeah, maybe.

An example, off the top of my head, is David Krejci. Last year (not known to fans) he told management and colleagues that he wanted to return home with his family to play in his hometown. Boston management knew, so they made moves - but were given a heads up.

I'm not mad at the situation with Gaudreau. I just believe it could have been handled better to help each other out. Maybe trade his rights early to get something in return?

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
• All eyes are on New Jersey and Philadelphia for Gaudreau. The Flyers have indicated James van Riemsdyk will not be traded, because they are not willing to pay what it will cost to move the cap hit. One source indicated it was similar to what Toronto sent Carolina — a first-round draft pick — for the Hurricanes to take Patrick Marleau in 2019. And teams prefer Philadelphia’s 2023 pick, not the Florida 2024 selection acquired for Claude Giroux.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I feel bad for the organization and fan base. Especially at his prime, and where Calgary were at. Should he have told management he wasn't interested in staying, for whatever reason? Yeah, maybe.

An example, off the top of my head, is David Krejci. Last year (not known to fans) he told management and colleagues that he wanted to return home with his family to play in his hometown. Boston management knew, so they made moves - but were given a heads up.

I'm not mad at the situation with Gaudreau. I just believe it could have been handled better to help each other out. Maybe trade his rights early to get something in return?

Let's say Gaudreau said he wanted to test the market. Calgary is leading the Pacific by a large margin. Do they trade him?

I don't think they do anything differently. They probably hope a long playoff run changes his mind. I mean just look at Winnipeg, PLD literally told them I will not re-sign here and they're convinced they can change his mind.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

Calgary can sign Kadri and be just as good next season. It's not a big blow to them because the playoffs aren't tough to make in the Pacific. You just got to be better than 2 of EDM/VGK/SJ/LA/VAN/ANA/SEA.

I think this exact same Flames teams minus Gaudreau finishes top 3 in the Pacific. That's why they're in a tough position. If money is the goal, the owners can milk a few playoff births before the Pacific actually becomes competitive. However, this team probably isn't close to winning a Cup (without signing players to replace Gaudreau). So it's - make the playoffs and hope for the best, or blow it up, lose money, but have a greater chance at the Cup in a few years - but then the division might be tougher to get out of by then also.

Yup I’ve been saying it all along. Treeliving just offered 10M per for Gaudreau, he can easily just offer that same contract to Kadri in a couple of days. Flames ownership I’m sure are already pressuring him to sign a big name UFA and there’s no hotter UFA to a team who wants to contend than Kadri who just won the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad