Johnny Gaudreau Dead

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HLLYWD99

Mar 8, 2011
Amherstburg
RIP Johnny and Matthew and condolences to the family.

The amount of pain that this drunk driver has unleashed is un f*#kin believable!

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I think they should vote Gaudreau into the Hall of Fame when the time is right.

He would have been over 1000 points when he retired if his life wasn't cut short.

I disagree

He never won a major award, had a limited playoff career and only had two elite seasons in his career

His death was tragedy but that doesn't make him a HHOF IMO

If guys like Middleton, Mogilny, Nicholls, Brind'Amour, Fleury, Larmer and Damphousse are not in HHOF it would be hard to justify JG going into HOF ahead of them

Then you got guys like Brad Richards, Vincent Lecavilier, Gary Roberts, etc and others who you can argue had greater careers, on par or it can be argued were more impactful

There are 4 guys with 500+ goals who are not active players who are not in HOF (Only 47 players in history of league have scored 500 goals)

Patrick Marleau (566)
Keith Tkachuk (538)
Pat Verbeek (522)
Petr Bondra (503)

Can it be argued JG is more deserving than them? Tkachuk and Bondra scoring 500+ playing in dead puck era for most of careers to me is more impressive then Gaudreau career

Also, Gaudreau was not safe bet for 1,000 pts

He was 31 yrs old and has shown decline his last 2 years. There is no reason to assume safely that decline would not have continued

Last edited:

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
I disagree

He never won a major award, had a limited playoff career and only had two elite seasons in his career

If guys like Middleton, Mogilny, Nicholls, Brind'Amour, Fleury, Larmer and Damphousse are not in HHOF it would be hard to justify JG going into HOF ahead of them

Then you got guys like Brad Richards, Vincent Lecavilier, Gary Roberts, etc and others who you can argue had greater careers, on par or it can be argued were more impactful

There are 4 guys with 500+ goals who are not active players who are not in HOF (Only 47 players in history of league have scored 500 goals)

Patrick Marleau (566)
Keith Tkachuk (538)
Pat Verbeek (522)
Petr Bondra (503)

Can it be argued JG is more deserving than them? Tkachuk and Bondra scoring 500+ playing in dead puck era for most of careers to me is more impressive then Gaudreau career

He was 31 yrs old and has shown decline his last 2 years. There is no reason to assume safely that decline would not have continued
It isn’t the NHL hall of fame though. He won a Clark Cup, was USHL RoY, Hobey Baker winner, won NCAA championship, WJC gold, 3rd most points in a season by an American. Was he truly declining or just on a not so good CBJ team the last two years?

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I disagree

Patrick Marleau (566)
Keith Tkachuk (538)
Pat Verbeek (522)
Petr Bondra (503)

If you want to play devils advocate, go ahead.

Gaudreau going to the Hall doesn't mean the players you listed can't get in. I don't understand your logic. It took JR 15 years... I'm sure some of the guys you listed will get in as well.

Gaudreau was having himself a HOF career before it was cut short.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If there was a HOF Gaudreau would be in, I'm 100% putting him in the USA Hall of Fame. He'll likely have his number retired in Boston College (amazing collegiate career) and Calgary as well. The Hockey Hall of Fame is a bit of a stretch though in my opinion.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
it's petty compared to the sheer humanity of what's occurred, but a small part of the tragedy is we will never know what gaudreau would have done going forward. it would be hard to justify putting him in the hall of it actually meant something besides pleasing the correct people, but it doesn't, so i can see him going in out of sentimentality, and i wouldn't complain being as how i don't take the hof seriously and don't know why anyone else does.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It's really impossible to seperate the two. The actualities of the tragedy are heartbreaking on every level, but at the same time it's understandably and undeniably depressing for an already depressed fanbase. His free agency signing was basically the only voluntary signing worth celebrating in franchise's history, after all, and his death is one of the bleakest in team history both on- and off-the-ice.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Can't really put guys in on what ifs. No idea how his career would have went.
I disagree in general - a guy like Cam Neely got in based on peak and career cut short by injury.

I tend to agree with BWC on JG's potential for the HOF. I wouldn't have said that JG was a HOF'er previously based on a very short peak. With that said though, there are worst things than honoring a guy who was taken way too soon, and who was a rare breed of a guy who was able to be elite at his size. I think that's worth a lot when you think about JG's ability to overcome physical limitations and put up the career he did. YMMV.

Reactions: Drumman44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad