News Article: Johnny Gaudreau and brother Matthew Killed by Drunk Driver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Absolutely horrible and avoidable tragedy. Johnny was one hell of a player and struck fear into me everytime he had the puck against us. May his family find peace in their grieving. Both brothers were scheduled to be groomsmen in their sisters wedding today, where Johnny's wife Meredith was to be the Maid of Honour.

Rest in Peace Johnny Hockey and brother Matthew.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I just want to point out to you OP that I'm glad you didn't sugarcoat it by saying he "passed away". He didn't. He was killed. It's a horrific tragedy caused by a reckless idiot who thought they knew better.

Plan ahead, people. There's never an excuse for drunk driving. It destroys so many lives.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hell of a player. 31 and 29 is far too young, not that being killed by an idiot dunk driver at any age is good. Just terrible all around.

Don't drink and drive folks. Your dumb decision might just ruin the lives of an entire family forever. He had a wife and 2 small children. Not sure about his brothers situation.

Edit: Just realized it was his birthday yesterday as well.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Wanted to post @bucks_oil post from the mains here because i think he does a good job summing up my thoughts as well

So to focus on Johnny (and his brother),… it’s devastating to hear of his passing…. You can’t truly know a persons personality without really knowing him, but I’m forever grateful to have seen Johnny Hockey play the game. Not just the elegant plays, but his approach to the game and his teammates. As an opposing Oiler fan it was always so easy to see a guy who brought joy to the game and those around him… always seemed like the nicest guy and teammate at the rink. His love of the game, and life, was always shining through the color of his jersey… he will be missed.

Rest in Peace

Reactions: bucks_oil

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Devastating news. Condolences to the family. Can't even imagine what their sister is going through.
RIP Johnny and Matthew.

Reactions: oilers'72

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Absolutely tragic. Every Condolence to the Gaudreaus and their friends.

Jesus f***king Christ...

"The crash happened around 8:30 p.m. on Pennsville Auburn Road near Stumpy Lane in Oldmans Township.

Johnny, 31, and Matthew, 29, were traveling north on County Route 551, close to the line on the side of the roadway.

Police say 43-year-old Sean M. Higgins, of Woodstown, New Jersey, was traveling north on County Route 551 in a Jeep Grand Cherokee when he allegedly attempted to pass a slower-moving sedan and SUV.

Police say Higgins entered the southbound lanes of the roadway and passed the sedan.

When he attempted to reenter the northbound lanes, police say the SUV in front of him moved into the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes in order to safely pass two bicyclists on the right side of the road.

Higgins then attempted to pass the SUV on the right and struck the Gaudreau brothers from behind, troopers said.

The Gaudreau brothers died from their injuries, according to state police.

According to the police affidavit, the trooper who arrived on the scene detected a "strong odor of alcohol," and Higgins allegedly told the trooper he had consumed "five to six beers" before the crash.

Higgins allegedly told investigators that he thought the driver of the SUV was trying to stop him from passing. Higgins told investigators that his consumption of alcohol contributed to his impatience and reckless driving, according to the criminal complaint.

The trooper also said Higgins then failed a field sobriety test."

Lock this s**t stain up and throw away the key.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
This makes me feel sick. Their poor family… their poor sister. Johnny has a young girl. So many lives ruined by one moronic decision.

RIP Matthew and Johnny. Prayers for the family.
Also has a young son named Johnny.

Johnny was one of the greatest opponents I can remember and a huge reason for the amazing rivalry us fans got to enjoy over the past decade. Everyime the puck touched his stick you expected magic. May his family find peace in their grieving. Tragic loss of both brothers. RIP

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
This is so incredibly sad.

I remember I got a troll warning my first year on here during the last Tippett games ..I said something like "I've been having more fun watching Johnny hockey rip corners."

Which was true at the time.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
On the eve of such an important day, this senseless act happens.
We all need to send thoughts/hopes of strength for the family. I cant imagine how they move forward from this.
Even though he played for our biggest rival, I always respected/enjoyed his talent and he often impressed me as being a really good fellow.
Terrible day

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Shocking and tragic. Life is precious, you never know when it is your time. We squabble and stress at the stupidest things at times, when a senseless tragedy like this occurs it can make you realize how petty some of our issues really are. Both him and his brother, wow. And leaves behind 2 kids under 2 years old.

My heart goes out to their family, God bless. And the driver responsible should see a prison cell for a long time.

Reactions: Duke74 and 5 14 6 1

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I just want to point out to you OP that I'm glad you didn't sugarcoat it by saying he "passed away". He didn't. He was killed. It's a horrific tragedy caused by a reckless idiot who thought they knew better.

Plan ahead, people. There's never an excuse for drunk driving. It destroys so many lives.
Ditto for the use of the word "accident". Seeing that used in this context is maddening.

Absolutely f***ed and guttingly sad.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
That's f***ing terrible. I hated him as a player due to how good he was, but he was nothing but a good teammate and husband. His entire exodus from Calgary was to be closer to family, can't blame a guy for that.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

It's never the drunk drivers who end up dying in these accidents either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad