Value of: John Marino

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Chychrun swap?

I feel like this is actually a great deal for both sides. Marino has his issues, but he's a righty DFD that Ottawa really seems to lack and wants to address this off-season. Trading for Marino is probably better than giving Tanev a huge deal in UFA.

I'm not 100% sure that New Jersey would be that interested in Chychrun, but the deal makes a ton of sense for Ottawa I think.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
He's probably an upgrade at 2RD for what arguably 27 teams currently have under contract or as RFAs (Pulock, Carlo*, Spurgeon, Whitecloud*)

Now probably Roy, Montour, and Pesce are upgrades in UFA, but with NJD apparently getting Pesce.

That's going to leave 25 teams who marino would improve at 2RD.

Golden Knights
Penguins
Bruins
Sabres
Avalanche
Stars
Panthers
Islanders
Rangers
Flyers
Kraken
Blues
Lightning

13 teams out of 31 guaranteed to have better RDs in the top 4.

Some teams on the fence where is he better or worse.

I am a big Marino fan and I definitely think you will find something but I also do not think his value will be as high especially after last season.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Golden Knights
Penguins
Bruins
Sabres
Avalanche
Stars
Panthers
Islanders
Rangers
Flyers
Kraken
Blues
Lightning

I am a big Marino fan and I definitely think you will find something but I also do not think his value will be as high especially after last season.
HAHAHA
We have 3 NHL defensemen on the roster for next year (assuming signed Harley) and none of them are actual RD's.
I wouldn't call Lindell better than Marino either

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would think Buffalo would be interested in a way - though the no prospect/no draft pick part of things makes that troublesome. Jokiharju and say a third for Marino isn't particularly sexy.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Golden Knights
Penguins
Bruins
Sabres
Avalanche
Stars
Panthers
Islanders
Rangers
Flyers
Kraken
Blues
Lightning

Agree with islanders, bruins, VGK

He's better than Trouba, Larsson, Perbix, Faulk, Nils Lundqvist, Letang, Perbix, Clifton, Manson, Kulikov and Drysdale imo.

Now, if you want to throw in resigning guys like Tanev (but for how much longer), Walker I'd take them as arguments, and of course montour is levels above

Last edited:

mlzy

Sponsor
Feb 7, 2009
Why not just run Hamilton, Pesce and Marino down the right side?

Are the Devils more concerned with winning a Stanley Cup or trying to develop Simon Nemec?
Developing Nemec and Luke are both key components to winning the cup!

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Why not just run Hamilton, Pesce and Marino down the right side?

Are the Devils more concerned with winning a Stanley Cup or trying to develop Simon Nemec?
They can do both, Nemec looked just fine last year, having Hamilton back should lessen his minutes. Does going to the AHL and dominating there help more than playing in the NHL?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Agree with islanders, bruins, VGK

He's better than Trouba, Larsson, Perbix, Faulk, Nils Lundqvist, Letang, Perbix, Clifton, Manson, Kulikov and Drysdale imo.

Now, if you want to throw in resigning guys like Tanev (but for how much longer), Walker I'd take them as arguments, and of course montour is levels above
If he is so great they should just keep him then.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If he is so great they should just keep him then.
Well Brett Pesce is better than Marino.

If Pesce has given an indication he'll take some kind of discount, or one of the very many teams in desperate need of a 2RD have indicated they'll pony up large assets of marino, or both, then it would make sense from an asset management perspective to move him

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I feel like this is actually a great deal for both sides. Marino has his issues, but he's a righty DFD that Ottawa really seems to lack and wants to address this off-season. Trading for Marino is probably better than giving Tanev a huge deal in UFA.

I'm not 100% sure that New Jersey would be that interested in Chychrun, but the deal makes a ton of sense for Ottawa I think.
Aren't Devils stacked with RHD and prospects but their LHD isn't looking so good with Siegenthaler's huge decline, Hughes still being young and fresh, and the departure of Bahl? If that's the case, Chychrun would probably be great for the Devils.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Aren't Devils stacked with RHD and prospects but their LHD isn't looking so good with Siegenthaler's huge decline, Hughes still being young and fresh, and the departure of Bahl? If that's the case, Chychrun would probably be great for the Devils.
Chychrun hasn't been all that durable after past year we had with injuries would rather not risk it

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If Marino is available, and I'm not convinced he is, but if he is I'd bet Treliving calls the Leafs need a RD.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The Chychrun option doesn't make sense for Ottawa, given the Tanev rumors. If for whatever reason, they don't get a notable UFA - then sure.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The Chychrun option doesn't make sense for Ottawa, given the Tanev rumors. If for whatever reason, they don't get a notable UFA - then sure.
If they’re banking on trading for Brandon Tanev to attract his brother, he still has a limited NTC. Also Tanev is probably going to get 5.5 mil or so offers from contending teams. Too many things need to happen for him to be a Sen.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Personally I'd try moving one to the left side, I wouldn't want to remove a piece of that D
I'm assuming that is an option as well, but if NJ can fill a need by using their surplus of RHD, it should be considered as well. If the right deal isn't there, I'm sure they won't mind keeping him and having someone play on the left side.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If they’re banking on trading for Brandon Tanev to attract his brother, he still has a limited NTC. Also Tanev is probably going to get 5.5 mil or so offers from contending teams. Too many things need to happen for him to be a Sen.

1. See if Brandon would waive for OTT
2. Trade for Brandon
3. Sign Chris

I don't consider that to be all that complicated... and that's IF Brandon is even needed at all. There's also Roy and Pesce available, which are both better options than trading Chychrun for Marino.

I literally created a thread suggesting Ottawa should get Marino before NJD did. I like the guy - but there are better options than forcing something right now.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He is 100% better than 37 year old letang.

You want to talk about down years, letang fell off a cliff from 22-23 to 23-24. And again, is likely only getting worse
All the love to Marino. It was criminal incompetence that the Pens traded him away in the first place. But he is not better than Letang. Maybe in 3 years we can have that conversation.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
All the love to Marino. It was criminal incompetence that the Pens traded him away in the first place. But he is not better than Letang. Maybe in 3 years we can have that conversation.
I would 100% take Marino over Letang. I understand why you wouldn't, but I very much saw the decline last year. And at 37, once it starts, it tends to go pretty fast.

I would not be shocked in the slightest if Letang is legitimately atrocious next year, and not a single other person should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad