Value of: John Marino to Canada before his NTC kicks in, 24-25 offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I do not expect him to be traded this year. Next year, I think he will be on the market, but Casey should take a year in the AHL, and then Marino should be potentially sold. Additionally, while Nemec and Luke continue to develop, keeping a lockdown responsible guy like Marino should be important.

However, a fair portion of the teams in need of a strong defensive RD are in Canada (Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, etc) and if those teams want Marino, they would likely have to make an offer before July 1st, when his 8 team NTC kicks in.

This year he will be competing with a much stronger UFA RD market in Pesce, Roy, Montour, Tanev, Walker, DeMelo

Next year the market is much weaker, with Ekblad, Larsson, Pionk headlining, and then a steep drop off to guys like Savard and Ceci.

He plays the toughest matchups, is a very low event player (not many chances either way when he is on the ice), with 3 years left at a very reasonable cap hit of 4.4 million.

What would these Canadian teams (or any team) be willing to pay for Marino in order to secure him before his NTC kicks in. Would it be enough to make it worth NJDs while?

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Would want him but not sure what we could trade for him. Silovs is probably good enough to be your #2 as well, but we need him so I doubt he's available. You guys have $18 million, with Hamilton on LTIR, and Schmid/ Daws/ Kahkonen all as FA's, and Mercer as the big name to re-sign.

Would you guys do Hronek + Mikheyev for Marino + Mercer? If Dougie's still out, Hronek's shown he can be a top-pair RD next to Quinn Hughes, so perhaps he could play next to his brother? Mikheyev's speedy and defensive but probably miscast here, so maybe he could be a two-way wing on the 2nd line with Palat and Hischier? If Mercer is also miscast on the Devils in a down year and guys like Holtz could use a bigger offensive role, perhaps we can take him and also get the defensive help that Marino would provide.

Meier - J. Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Hischier - Mikheyev (could be a two-way unit)

L. Hughes - Hronek (could be the big dog on NJ's RD if Hamilton remains out)

******************************************************************************************
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander? - Petey - Mercer

Q. Hughes - Marino (lock down our top-pair RD for an affordable cost)

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Would want him but not sure what we could trade for him. Silovs is probably good enough to be your #2 as well, but we need him so I doubt he's available. You guys have $18 million, with Hamilton on LTIR, and Schmid/ Daws/ Kahkonen all as FA's, and Mercer as the big name to re-sign.

Would you guys do Hronek + Mikheyev for Marino + Mercer? If Dougie's still out, Hronek's shown he can be a top-pair RD next to Quinn Hughes, so perhaps he could play next to his brother? Mikheyev's speedy and defensive but probably miscast here, so maybe he could be a two-way wing on the 2nd line with Palat and Hischier? If Mercer is also miscast on the Devils in a down year and guys like Holtz could use a bigger offensive role, perhaps we can take him and also get the defensive help that Marino would provide.

Meier - J. Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Hischier - Mikheyev (could be a two-way unit)

L. Hughes - Hronek (could be the big dog on NJ's RD if Hamilton remains out)

******************************************************************************************
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander? - Petey - Mercer

Q. Hughes - Marino (lock down our top-pair RD for an affordable cost)

Hamilton will be back next year.

That Hronek for Marino swap is probably close fair value wise considering the contract gap required. However NJD is not looking to add another 7-8 mill dman, so not a fit.

And Mikheyev for Mercer is a straight no go. Not even in the realm of close

Marino and Casey are not the same lol. You will not replace Marino with anyone close to him for the deal he is currently on.
The alternatives would be to play Casey at LD when he's ready, or move Hamilton once his contract becomes a M-NTC.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Next year the market is much weaker, with Ekblad, Larsson, Pionk headlining, and then a steep drop off to guys like Savard and Ceci
According to Jets fans (Pionk) and HFBoards in general (Savard, Ceci), it would probably be :

TIER 1
Ekblad, Larsson

TIER 2
Savard, Marino

TIER 3
Pionk, Ceci

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Toronto, Ottawa, Winnipeg I could definitely see interest.

Montréal and Calgary, no.

Edmonton and Vancouver yes in theory, but the cap cost and asset cost might prevent it from being realistic.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
According to Jets fans (Pionk) and HFBoards in general (Savard, Ceci), it would probably be :

TIER 1
Ekblad, Larsson

TIER 2
Savard, Marino

TIER 3
Pionk, Ceci
Marino is a better option than anyone other than Ekblad.

Savard, who is not only levels below Marino now, but will also be 35 years of age, being in the same tier as marino is wild

Tier 1
Ekblad

Tier 2
Marino (28 years old)

Tier 3
Larsson (33 years old), Pionk (30)

Tier 4
Savard (35), Ceci (32), Borgen, Fabbro, Perbix

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Assuming the Senators think they’ll miss out on the top 4/5 UFA RHD this makes a ton of sense. I’m not going to pretend I know what fair value is but he’d certainly fill a need on the 2nd pair.

Reactions: Altimus

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
Ottawa would want to make the trade if Chychrun is a major player in the trade. They need to balance thier dcore. Brannstrom could be a minor part to help get one lhd out of the nhl system.

Off topic, Ottawa needs to move either Chabot, Chychrun or Brannstrom this year if they can land a competent RHD so JDB and Kleven can cost control the bottem pair. f*** Hamonic.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I could see Allvin being interested, absolutely.
He should've acquired him when PIT was selling Marino low.

There is really no reason for NJ to move Marino. They absolutely shouldn't. He's still in his prime years, cost-controlled at a favourable AAV, and is really NJ's only reliable defensive defenseman.

The young defensemen NJ has aren't going to crowd out Marino. They're not filling the same role on the team. Honestly, the guy they should proactively be looking into moving is Dougie.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

There is really no reason for NJ to move Marino. They absolutely shouldn't. He's still in his prime years, cost-controlled at a favourable AAV, and is really NJ's only reliable defensive defenseman.

The young defensemen NJ has aren't going to crowd out Marino. They're not filling the same role on the team. Honestly, the guy they should proactively be looking into moving is Dougie.

Paying four million for a third pairing defenseman makes no sense for Jersey now that they know Nemec is the real deal.

Trading Hamilton would be wild after what they saw happened with him out last year.

Siegs - Hamilton
Bahl - Nemec
Hughes - X

Is a solid build moving forward.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Paying four million for a third pairing defenseman makes no sense for Jersey now that they know Nemec is the real deal.

Trading Hamilton would be wild after what they saw happened with him out last year.

Siegs - Hamilton
Bahl - Nemec
Hughes - X

Is a solid build moving forward.
Marino is the guy who takes the tough matchups and DZ assignments. His job is to eat all the muck, so that the other offensive guys' shifts are basically subsidized. You take away Marino, you're basically left with Dougie and Luke handling a lot more defensive responsibility, which they definitely don't want. He plays like over half of every PK. He's not a 3rd paring defenseman for this team. That is a bananas statement.

And yes, Dougie is the guy they should look at moving, sooner than later. They have Hughes, Nemec, and Casey coming for offensive minutes. There's only so much to go around, and only one guy is going to be on PP1.

The issue with Dougie is he's 30 and coming off a major injury. Those aren't great signs. The injury itself (complete pec tear) is also very detrimental to how Dougie creates offense - primarily from his shot. Matt Dumba went through the same injury and it basically robbed him of his offensive game. Dougie's also never been the fleetest of foot, and if he loses a half step, he'll turn into like late-stage Brent Seabrook real quick.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Marino is the guy who takes the tough matchups and DZ assignments. His job is to eat all the muck, so that the other offensive guys' shifts are basically subsidized. You take away Marino, you're basically left with Dougie and Luke handling a lot more defensive responsibility, which they definitely don't want. He plays like over half of every PK. He's not a 3rd paring defenseman for this team. That is a bananas statement.

And yes, Dougie is the guy they should look at moving, sooner than later. They have Hughes, Nemec, and Casey coming for offensive minutes. There's only so much to go around, and only one guy is going to be on PP1.

The issue with Dougie is he's 30 and coming off a major injury. Those aren't great signs. The injury itself (complete pec tear) is also very detrimental to how Dougie creates offense - primarily from his shot. Matt Dumba went through the same injury and it basically robbed him of his offensive game. Dougie's also never been the fleetest of foot, and if he loses a half step, he'll turn into like late-stage Brent Seabrook real quick.

Sign Troy Stecher for a million next year and get exactly what Marino does for 3 less.

Nemec and Hamilton is the better top four RHD option.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Oilers drafted him, but he refused to play for them so he was traded for pennies. Why would he want to come Edmonton?
Hence why, if Edmonton wants him, they would be on a very hard deadline of July 1st

I'd also be willing to move Dougie.

Honestly, if a team Dougie would waive to offers a late 1st, I would accept.

Cap space is always valuable, and while dougie is an elite dman, getting a UFA for free, getting the best years out of him, then trading him for positive value is always a win in my eyes

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Assuming the Senators think they’ll miss out on the top 4/5 UFA RHD this makes a ton of sense. I’m not going to pretend I know what fair value is but he’d certainly fill a need on the 2nd pair.
Marino+10th+Something (not sure what fills ottawa's needs) for 7th+26th?

The gap in pick value is equivalent to 17th overall per puckpedia. I think Marino is somewhat close to that, but may need to add something sweetener.
I would be targeting dickinson with that pick

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Zero reason to move off Marino right now, it’s silly to even entertain the idea unless they have an NHL level replacement ready and Casey isn’t even close yet

Reactions: HBK27

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
4.4 million per year. That’s acceptable even if he gets bumped to the 3rd pairing. Career #5 D Zadorov wants 6x6. 4.4x3 is excellent in this rising cap environment.

Yup, especially considering their 2nd pairing defenseman is still on his ELC the next two seasons.

Devils had the luxury of have Severson on their 3rd pairing last season at $4.2M and that worked out quite well for them as they set a franchise points record.

There's no way the Devils should consider moving Marino this offseason. Casey will likely spend most of the upcoming season in the AHL and hopefully makes a push for a roster spot in the '25-'26 season, though something else probably has to give as it's hard to imagine a team with Hamilton, Hughes & Casey as 3 of the 6 defensemen. Hamilton and Hughes don't play any PK time currently and it's doubtful that's a role Casey can jump into. Maybe Hamilton or Hughes gets worked into the PK this upcoming season and that changes, but collectively the two averaged 18 seconds per game on the PK this season.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Sign Troy Stecher for a million next year and get exactly what Marino does for 3 less.

Nemec and Hamilton is the better top four RHD option.
LMAO dude. I provide a detailed analysis, and your response is to ignore all that and say to replace Marino with a 7D.

Admit you don't know what you're talking about and take the L.
Hence why, if Edmonton wants him, they would be on a very hard deadline of July 1st

I'd also be willing to move Dougie.

Honestly, if a team Dougie would waive to offers a late 1st, I would accept.

Cap space is always valuable, and while dougie is an elite dman, getting a UFA for free, getting the best years out of him, then trading him for positive value is always a win in my eyes
I really like Dougie. But they do have to think about the longer-term. The injury and age-related decline are also huge concerns.

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad