John Klingberg - Done In the NHL After $45M Blunder?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, “We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate.” The farmer said, “Maybe.”

The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, “Oh, isn’t that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!” The farmer again said, “Maybe.”

The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, “Oh dear, that’s too bad,” and the farmer responded, “Maybe.”

The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, “Isn’t that great!” Again, he said, “Maybe.”

The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity, and it’s really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad — because you never know what will be the consequence of the misfortune; or, you never know what will be the consequences of good fortune.
Maybe

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Once upon a time there was a Chinese farmer whose horse ran away. That evening, all of his neighbors came around to commiserate. They said, “We are so sorry to hear your horse has run away. This is most unfortunate.” The farmer said, “Maybe.”

The next day the horse came back bringing seven wild horses with it, and in the evening everybody came back and said, “Oh, isn’t that lucky. What a great turn of events. You now have eight horses!” The farmer again said, “Maybe.”

The following day his son tried to break one of the horses, and while riding it, he was thrown and broke his leg. The neighbors then said, “Oh dear, that’s too bad,” and the farmer responded, “Maybe.”

The next day the conscription officers came around to conscript people into the army, and they rejected his son because he had a broken leg. Again all the neighbors came around and said, “Isn’t that great!” Again, he said, “Maybe.”

The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity, and it’s really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad — because you never know what will be the consequence of the misfortune; or, you never know what will be the consequences of good fortune.
You need to work on your punchlines a bit.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
I get that he's already generationally wealthy either way, but you would have to imagine something like this weighs on a guy.

He'll get another shot somewhere though.
Absolutely. At a certain point it's not just about you too. Sure his kids will have a nice inheritance, but what about their kids? What about siblings, parents or other people who are important to you? Supporting causes that you care about? The Sedins threw 1.5 million to the local children's hospital and basically deified themselves in Vancouver... Not saying he couldn't do all that now, but an extra 40 million would make it a hell of a lot easier.

• Haha
Reactions: andora

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Estimated Career Earnings
Tooltip
: $38,048,418
No matter how much money one has - being able to double it or more, and missing out, stings

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
After 30M, Klingberg probably stopped counting the pennies
30 million isn't even close to enough to not mourn the loss of $45+ million lol.

Not to play the worlds smallest violin for a guy who made more last year than most of us will make in our lifetime but 30 million minus taxes, purchases already made, property bought, etc, doesn't leave you a ton to live off of for the rest of your life when you retire in your late 30's and have an expensive lifestyle that you seek to maintain.

That extra 40 million would make a massive difference to his financial security.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
To make matters worse he was injured early in his Maple Leafs stint and barely played in 2023-2024. It's July 4th now and Klinger hasn't signed. Is he done in the NHL for good?
He's probably done in hockey for good due to injuries. If not, I'm sure Frölunda will take him on a mercy contract.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
His agent at the time couldn't have bungled that worse.

He was offered $58M and his agent thought he could get $64M in free agency and to hold out. A difference of $6M over the life time of the contract.

How dumb (and greedy) do you have to be to follow that advice?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
30 million isn't even close to enough to not mourn the loss of $45+ million lol.

Not to play the worlds smallest violin for a guy who made more last year than most of us will make in our lifetime but 30 million minus taxes, purchases already made, property bought, etc, doesn't leave you a ton to live off of for the rest of your life when you retire in your late 30's and have an expensive lifestyle that you seek to maintain.

That extra 40 million would make a massive difference to his financial security.
Lol……bs.

What he made is plenty to live on, you’re making some curious comments about this guys lifestyle - is this known? He could still go back to Europe and play for years making good money before he even needs to touch his pile.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He turned down a guaranteed contract worth roughly $56M. I'm sure he'll be OK, but there's no way he's fine with pissing away $45M away just like that in the blink of an eye.
You know when you first heard of bitcoin and thought about buying a couple hundred dollars of it but didn’t?

Reactions: Andrei79

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Klingberg made 11 mill since he had that contract offer

7 with the ducks and 4 with the leafs

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I never understood all the hate in the first place. I just figured he just didn’t want to play in Dallas and wanted to try free agency. They were trying to keep him so everyone made a big deal about him turning it down.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
John Klingberg played hardball with the Dallas Stars as he refused an 8-year-deal at $7M AAV in 2022 and it backfired on him in spectacular fashion as he was forced to take a 1 year show-me deal with the Ducks. Basically he f'd around and found out, and missed out on a huge long term deal and tens of millions in the process. About $45M. OUCH.

To make matters worse he was injured early in his Maple Leafs stint and barely played in 2023-2024. It's July 4th now and Klinger hasn't signed. Is he done in the NHL for good? And how crazy was his reluctance to sign with the Stars? One of the absolute biggest fumbling the bag moments in NHL history.

Discuss.
This has been flogged more than once. He got bad advice.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022

"Hey John, I think you should take that contract, it's a really good offer" Maybe

"Hey John Dallas just called and said it's your last chance, what should I tell them?" Maybe

"John are you gonna put down that stupid f***ing taoist book and actually play Hockey?" Maybe

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I’ve lived through and missed out on all kinds of financial opportunities in the past 25 years

I haven’t spent one day counting the money I could have made. Maybe that’s loser thinking. Don’t care really

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Lol……bs.

What he made is plenty to live on, you’re making some curious comments about this guys lifestyle - is this known? He could still go back to Europe and play for years making good money before he even needs to touch his pile.
I didn't say you couldn't live off of it, I replied to the person saying he's made enough money to shrug off losing 30-40 extra million had he signed that Dallas deal.

And even as far as being able to live off of it; pro athletes aren't living in a duplex, driving a Hyundai Sonata, and taking one vacation a year at a 4 star resort in Punta Cana.

These guys live in mansions (high property tax), drive luxury cars (expensive to repair, service, and fuel), travel to luxury resorts, wear luxury clothing. It's not easy to step back from that lifestyle and what's left over after you retire on 40ish million in career earnings (half of that goes to taxes) isn't that easy to stretch from age 35 until you die when you want to keep living that way.

I'd guess 40 mil in career earnings leaves you with like 8-12 million in the bank when you retire. Shit load of money but when you're 35 and you and your family have to live off it forever you're certainly wishing you had doubled that. (Anecdotally, Biz once said in an interview that Ryan Whitney retired with "11 sheets in the bank" off 35 mil in career earnings so I think my 8-12 range is pretty fair).

• Haha
Reactions: TheStatican

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I’ve lived through and missed out on all kinds of financial opportunities in the past 25 years

I haven’t spent one day counting the money I could have made. Maybe that’s loser thinking. Don’t care really
I think there's a difference between hard to quantify things like regular folks thinking back on how much money they've wasted ordering Taco Bell on Uber Eats in their lifetime or how they should've invested in Nvidia in 2014 vs outright declining a $56 million contract thinking you can do better only to make "just" 11 million for the remainder of your career.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Lmao why does anyone care. I'm sure it bothers the dude, but getting threads about it every offseason is a weird fixation.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
rejected calgarys 9x8 and ends up with 7.7 x 7. Elias Lindholm despite making 48 million in career earnings.

Lindholm lost out on 18.1 millioin by rejecting Calgary offer.

now in this case, I think OP has an interesting point.

8x7 56 MIllion dollars

since rejecting deal he signed 7 million x1 followed by 4.1 X 1 with the leafs.

The dude lost out on 44 million.

maybe its his agent? maybe its him? who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad