Player Discussion John-Jason (JJ) Peterka, RW (34th overall, 2020) -- Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
He buried a one timer from the slot for his 2nd of the game. Good setup, defense went chasing the puck carrier behind the net and left him completely uncovered in front.

Reactions: Slangston

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It's nice to see him have success but they're not very competitive in that league. There's not much hitting, there's an abundance of time and space to make plays, and positional play is weak. Mittelstadt would love playing in the AUS.

Reactions: Shootica

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Some thoughts:
  • His burst and acceleration are definitely the first thing that jump out at you. Wide stance, good edgework, powerful strides.
  • He seems to have a knack for finding open ice and gaps in the defense. Couple that with his burst and it felt he could create space at will.
  • I was surprised with how much more playmaker than shooter he was in this game. He looked very comfortable holding the puck and waiting for lanes to open up, and there were a few times I thought he could've went for the shot instead of waiting for a passing option. Almost seemed timid on the shot at times, which surprised me given the scouting report.
  • I know he's been billed as a north-south style player, but he had much more patience in his game than the Justin Bailey types. I liked what I saw there.
  • I'm not too familiar with the league he's in, but the quality of competition was rough. It really looked closer to a high level beer league at times than the NHL. Hopefully they get him into a higher tier league at some point.

Reactions: Slangston

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
It's nice to see him have success but they're not very competitive in that league. There's not much hitting, there's an abundance of time and space to make plays, and positional play is weak. Mittelstadt would love playing in the AUS.

Once the DEL in Germany starts will he go back to Munich?

Edit
Found that he is loaned to Salzburg, so its obivous he plays DEL after WJC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shootica

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Some thoughts:
  • His burst and acceleration are definitely the first thing that jump out at you. Wide stance, good edgework, powerful strides.
  • He seems to have a knack for finding open ice and gaps in the defense. Couple that with his burst and it felt he could create space at will.
  • I was surprised with how much more playmaker than shooter he was in this game. He looked very comfortable holding the puck and waiting for lanes to open up, and there were a few times I thought he could've went for the shot instead of waiting for a passing option. Almost seemed timid on the shot at times, which surprised me given the scouting report.
  • I know he's been billed as a north-south style player, but he had much more patience in his game than the Justin Bailey types. I liked what I saw there.
  • I'm not too familiar with the league he's in, but the quality of competition was rough. It really looked closer to a high level beer league at times than the NHL. Hopefully they get him into a higher tier league at some point.
That burst and first few strides were very McDavid like. I had to watch it a few times to see how slick his crossovers got him up to full speed.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
It's nice to see Peterka dominating against lesser competition - if he wasn't, that might open some eyes. But it does not really mean that much - other than he's skating, playing hockey and staying in shape. We'll get to see how he's really progressing when DEL starts playing and the WJC tournament.

It's the same deal with Arttu. It's easy to get carried away.

Reactions: jfb392

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
That burst and first few strides were very McDavid like. I had to watch it a few times to see how slick his crossovers got him up to full speed.

He definitely looked heads and shoulders better than anyone else out there in that regard. I'm struggling to pinpoint how much of that is him and how much is the quality of competition, but it really impressed me.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Is the Austrian league effectively a farm league for DEL? Or just another European league that’s just on a lower level than DEL?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is the Austrian league effectively a farm league for DEL? Or just another European league that’s just on a lower level than DEL?

There is no formal relationship between the leagues, I believe. But, Red Bull owns teams in both leagues and they have a relationship as part of the larger Red Bull family.

Reactions: joshjull

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
No, it's just a league that not a lot of people give a f*** about. And with no real money to be made, not a lot of attention, it's just there.

Hockey is just so far down on the list of our favorite sports over here.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad