Player Discussion John-Jason (JJ) Peterka, RW (34th overall, 2020) -- Signed to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He kinda sounds like a Girgensons or Barbashev stylistically, but has the upside to be better offensively than both

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'll always wonder if it was regression, or did Nolan did hyper-feed him prime minutes, so he rode high for 1 1/2 years.

Probably a mix. He was definitely getting prime minutes on those tank teams that simply aren't available to him now because we have better offensive talents to give them to, but also I feel like he used to try to make skilled plays more frequently. I'll always wonder with him what he might've turned out like if he hadn't been rushed into pro hockey.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Probably a mix. He was definitely getting prime minutes on those tank teams that simply aren't available to him now because we have better offensive talents to give them to, but also I feel like he used to try to make skilled plays more frequently. I'll always wonder with him what he might've turned out like if he hadn't been rushed into pro hockey.
Man that goal against Montreal.... like wow. What happened to that player. He should be in our top 6

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
JJ looks like a total hunk. We've drafted some butt-ugly players in the past. Maybe this draft is part of making the organization look better, literally. (And drafting by looks is probably still better than what Botterill would have done.) ;)
I hear there's some handsome woman out that way

FrenchConnection

Aug 28, 2020
cgvwkcr.gif
So..the Sabres drafted something the entire team LACKS,,,possibly some grit and work along the boards effort? Amazing!

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
JJ looks like a total hunk. We've drafted some butt-ugly players in the past. Maybe this draft is part of making the organization look better, literally. (And drafting by looks is probably still better than what Botterill would have done.) ;)

The 99/00 team was pretty good looking..maybe it works?

Reactions: Wisent42

hockeyman1

Aug 21, 2020
If you watch the full game highlights it's obvious he needs to work on his defense. He also seems to have that typical do-it-all-by-myself attitude that most kids his age have when things don't go their way.
I could be wrong about that point though, haven't watched him enough.
A couple seasons away from entering the big stage.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011

I know it wasn't exactly your point, and we did get to enjoy a very effective 3rd/4th line, but I always thought the right way to use Girgensons would be to have him do the hard work on a line with 2 high-end players...sort of like Holmstrom. He doesn't really play like Holmstrom, but I've wanted to see his doggedness and corner battles open up the ice for Eichel and Olofsson/Skinner/Hall. Just by being on this line would probably help him to put up some better offensive numbers, but really not the point of putting him there. It's not fair to compare him to prime Lucic but maybe we'd see more of a trend in that direction if he got that chance under someone other than Nolan.

But since this thread is about Peterka I'll add that he excites me much more than Girgensons ever did. He is hopedully going to be a fun part of the core going forward.

Reactions: brian_griffin

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

I remember Girgs not being able to stay on his skates while trying to pull off moves during the Nolan tank years. He was definitely rushed to the NHL though.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Livestream for EC Red Bull Salzburg
From now on it's possible to watch games from anywhere, worldwide, you don't need a VPN.

Next game for Red Bull Salzburg and J.J. Peterka is in ~6 hours, official starting time 1 p.m. EST, or 7 p.m. local time CET

They will also stream the next couple games, this Sunday and Tuesday next week!
Do they archive them, or only available live?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad