Confirmed with Link: John Hynes fired; Andrew Brunette hired as new HC

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Hynes was a mid pack coach who let an 8 game run early in 2022-23 derail the season …. 600 hockey for a 60 game stretch wasn’t enough to overcome that abysmal return to North America.

Brunette did well with a stacked team …. a team that is continuing to do quite well without him behind the bench. That is his only head coaching stint, the bulk of one season after Quenneville got booted where he still didn’t get the permanent job in spite of a Presidents Trophy and 1st round series win.

Carbery getting an interview with the Preds then returning to the Caps organization is the interesting part, and biggest potential miss for the Preds here given his performance behind the bench at the ECHL and AHL levels.

Now to see what happens with Vanderklok and Hinote.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I guess all the dominoes are falling. Carbery to Washington, Lavy to the Rangers, Brunette to us, Columbus you're on the board...

I definitely did not see this coming. Not Hynes being fired (at least not until the "rumblings" this week made it apparent it was happening), and not Brunette being the guy (it's always a name you don't talk about isn't it?)

But it's great news IMO! Brunette (a pure offense style of player in his heyday) is a younger candidate, he apparently likes an attacking and up-tempo style. He's not some recycled dinosaur, as he has only had the 1 year with Florida as a Head Coach anywhere. (He's batting 1.000 for President's Trophy wins!)

He seemed to be a guy who was among the top candidates for all the open jobs. This suggests to me he's probably getting a fairly significant contract in term and $. I guess we'll hear something about term shortly, but probably not the $. I won't be surprised if it's as much as 4x$4M, considering he seemed to be a leading league-wide candidate? :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
holy cow. whoever said get ready for the golf cart jokes wasn’t kidding. that’s gonna get old quick especially since there is a video of the whole ordeal.
Doesnt anyone have the whole story on this? I for one, have done alot of drinking while golfing. Was he just driving around in a golf cart drunk

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Initial reaction: I’m fine with this. I’m not overly thrilled with Brunette but getting rid of Hynes is a win in my books. Still want to bring in Taylor into the mix, as I see Brunette as an overpass coach into the ultimate transition to Taylor’s Era.

Reactions: SouthNash

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm not gonna dwell on why I think Hynes should be gone because.... he's gone. No reason to debate it any more.

From reading the article, it sounds like Carbery chose Washington over us and so we hired Brunette.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Taylor. Hopefully he's hired as an assistant.

Wouldn't mind Hinote staying but a clean slate would be good too.

Unless Trotz goes out and makes a bunch of stupid free agent signings that keep the kids down, it's gonna be a really fun season next year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
As before, if Taylor is agreeable, I'd much rather see him continue with the youngsters on the Ads. If he doesn't want to do that anymore and prefers being an NHL assistant, he has certainly earned the right to make that choice, but I sure hope he's not tired of Milwaukee. :crossfing

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Initial reaction: I’m fine with this. I’m not overly thrilled with Brunette but getting rid of Hynes is a win in my books. Still want to bring in Taylor into the mix, as I see Brunette as an overpass coach into the ultimate transition to Taylor’s Era.
From what ive read, Brunette and Taylor's systems seem to match up better than Hynes and Taylor. Should make for smoother transitions for the young players coming up

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Of course the DUI in a golf cart happened in Florida…….
Local radio show had a daily segment called "Florida or not Florida" with some bizarre news story that occurred and callers trying to identify if it did happen in Florida or not. Most times it DID happen in Florida.

On Taylor, for all we know maybe the guy just likes being an AHL-level coach and isn't interested/ready to pursue the NHL level? Alternatively, maybe they consider the AHL to be his ceiling and also the best place for his particular skill sets--some coaches are great at teaching younger players/lower-level vets, but aren't cut out for the dynamics of the NHL. Who knows?

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Local radio show had a daily segment called "Florida or not Florida" with some bizarre news story that occurred and callers trying to identify if it did happen in Florida or not. Most times it DID happen in Florida.

On Taylor, for all we know maybe the guy just likes being an AHL-level coach and isn't interested/ready to pursue the NHL level? Alternatively, maybe they consider the AHL to be his ceiling and also the best place for his particular skill sets--some coaches are great at teaching younger players/lower-level vets, but aren't cut out for the dynamics of the NHL. Who knows?
Could very well be. I'm thinking they want to ease him in as an assistant first, and go from there.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
@maplepred I was there. Took 15 minutes to decide if it was a goal or not and so many people were clueless to that fact. Now people would be actively engaged in whether that was a goal or not. Time changes a lot of things!

I'm ready to move on. Whether it was Brunette (which was not my expectation but I'm good) or anyone else we needed to start anew with someone. Of course it IS a former Preds player, but still. I wish Hynes well unless he's playing the Preds but welcome back AB!

Regarding golf cart DUI...I remembered reading that, kind of like the Zamboni thieves getting stopped for same but with a southern twist. Probably not something a coach should do though. Ha!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00