John Gibson is a bad goalie, and I'm tired of people suggesting otherwise

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If the only argument in favour of Gibson is that he's not motivated enough in a losing environment getting shelled, I wouldn't want to roll the dice on Gibson via trade at this point just on the hope that he turns it all around after a ~5 year sample size of generally playing poorly.
Reminds me of Elaine’s boyfriend from Seinfeld that was shaving his head. Then one day when he tried to grow it back he realized it was too late.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Seems like your agenda is to discredit Gibson so that Detroit will want Jarry instead. It’s almost like you believe Yzerman reads these boards and will be magically convinced that you are right...

Sure cause his whole "Ottawa will flip Korpi & assets for Jarry" plan fell through.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
It’s a fools game comparing the stats from the starter to the backup when most teams play the backup in games that should be easier and, a lot of times, teams play a more sound defensive game when the backup is in because they don’t trust him as much as the starter.

Reactions: The Pale King

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Been saying this for YEARS. Any other goalie with numbers and performances like Gibson would be looked at as a shitty goalie. Why is it only Gibson that gets his numbers excused? NO other goalie in the League gets the benefit of the doubt for what? 5 years in a row now?

Reactions: Shane Diesel

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Seems like your agenda is to discredit Gibson so that Detroit will want Jarry instead. It’s almost like you believe Yzerman reads these boards and will be magically convinced that you are right...
We have already decided what to do and all of you will soon se what it is.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Playing on a bad team will wear any goalie out over a long season, which Gibson has done for 4-5 years now. Anaheim also sells off at the deadline every year which is when the numbers get worse. When you watch him play he is constantly barraged with lots of shots and chances and no person athlete or not is going to be able to have the same drive and compete when the score hits 4-0 and then ends 7-2 for example. Especially when it happens so often. Having watched the Wings during their most recent really bad run, the goalies got burnt out from all the bad defence/games in front of them and as the season wore on, their numbers plummeted and overall play as well.

I don't care what the backups do, as they play less and are generally starting against the worse teams. Give any of his backups Gibson's workload of the past 4-5 years and I highly doubt their numbers look very good at all.

I think if you put Gibson on an actual good team, that team will be more than happy with his performance.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Playing on a bad team will wear any goalie out over a long season, which Gibson has done for 4-5 years now. Anaheim also sells off at the deadline every year which is when the numbers get worse. When you watch him play he is constantly barraged with lots of shots and chances and no person athlete or not is going to be able to have the same drive and compete when the score hits 4-0 and then ends 7-2 for example. Especially when it happens so often. Having watched the Wings during their most recent really bad run, the goalies got burnt out from all the bad defence/games in front of them and as the season wore on, their numbers plummeted and overall play as well.

I don't care what the backups do, as they play less and are generally starting against the worse teams. Give any of his backups Gibson's workload of the past 4-5 years and I highly doubt their numbers look very good at all.

I think if you put Gibson on an actual good team, that team will be more than happy with his performance.
This is a good post and the irony about the hate Jarry gets while not understanding this will be lost on them. Ah well.

Gibson looks like a bloke that is just tired of the BS in Anaheim and is too nice to ask to be moved, so he just waits until Verbeek is done staring out into space and figures out how to move him to save him from the misery of whatever Verbeek thinks he's doing.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
And that is basically the only argument the pro-Gibson crowd makes. It's literally just "he's good because I say he's good".

Literally everything from basic stats, advanced stats, Ducks record with or without Gibson and performance relative to backups say that Gibson has been bad for a long time. But the pro-Gibson crowd just comes in and says "you don't watch the Ducks" as if that's a rebuttal to the overwhelming stats that show how not good Gibson has been for years.

To be honest I think the thing that makes Gibson good is his competitive-ness. He's got a fire in him that reminds me of a Mike Smith or a Grant Fuhr. When it's the most important - He's just dialed in and wants to win so badly.

I say this as someone whose watched McDavid and Draisaitl light him up for 5 to 8 goals every game multiple times for almost half a decade - I would take Gibson on the Oilers every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I've also seen it probably 50 times where he has made 10+ ridiculous saves to keep it a 0-0 game before the dam breaks and he gives up. I think this pattern is responsible for a lot of his statistics being bad, at a certain point he just realizes the game is over and he just says "GG go next" like a LoL player in Solo queue. He knows the ducks can't score and they won't win, so why bother trying?

It's not a great attitude, but it's understandable. On a true contender though, I think he'd shine to be honest.

Reactions: Doothpick

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think it's wishful thinking. He was really good until about 2019. He's been on a bad team. He's young enough where he shouldn't be cooked. There are definitely reasons to be hopeful. But goalies are voodoo and sometimes guys just lose it. At this point there have been so many years of mediocrity in addition to 3 years of $6.4m AAV remaining, it would be a risk to take him for free.

That said, these trades always find a way. If someone like the Oilers could dump Campbell plus a very good prospect/pick combo, it could be worth a try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad