Player Discussion Joel Eriksson Ek: The 2nd Act

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ek looks very good. He seems to be turning a corner in how he sees the game. Just more evidence that most young players have a maturing process, and that it seldom happens all in one season.
He looked overwhelmed earlier in the year.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Since the season is over, how about moving Kunin and JEEK to some PP time? I think we've seen Staal is not interested in looking like a good trading piece so what have you got to lose?

Did anyone see the Habs-Bolts game? WOW. Lightening fast pace. Precision passing. Made these Wild games look like they are in slow motion.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I will say that I am done with Suter dominating the PP. He does some good things, but is too deliberate and stationery for my taste. PP is too easy to defend.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I will say that I am done with Suter dominating the PP. He does some good things, but is too deliberate and stationery for my taste. PP is too easy to defend.

Yes but also I don’t think it’s just Suter that’s the problem. I don’t know if it’s coaching or that our players just suck, but even without Suter it looks slow and predictable.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
and we're back to this old chestnut? News flash, Suter is better at his job on the PP than any other Wild player is at his. And it isn't really close.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes but also I don’t think it’s just Suter that’s the problem. I don’t know if it’s coaching or that our players just suck, but even without Suter it looks slow and predictable.
That's partly because he and Koivu tend to dominate the PP. Both are slow, have mediocre shots, and don't move in the Ozone. It makes for an easy PP to defend.
The PP as a unit has to be somewhat interchangeable, and be able to move around and still be effective.
There's no doubt that we could use better personnel. Dumba is perfect as a shooter, and maybe even a QB, in the future....I want him out there for almost the entire PP. We also need a RH shooter from the half wall. Would be nice if Kunin could be that guy. Parise , and maybe Greenway can be two different looks at the crease. Granlund is fine ...on the right half wall only, please.

I'm sure they do this during practice, but they have to continue to practice changing positions during the PP. I suspect( but don't know) that they practice it, but then Suter reverts when he gets to games, and does what he is comfortable with.

Oh, and Staal/ Koivu only seem to be comfortable in the slot, yet how many times do they get a shot, deflection or good pass off from that position? They just sort of stand there. Why not move a bit?

Reactions: 63firebird

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's partly because he and Koivu tend to dominate the PP. Both are slow, have mediocre shots, and don't move in the Ozone. It makes for an easy PP to defend.
The PP as a unit has to be somewhat interchangeable, and be able to move around and still be effective.
There's no doubt that we could use better personnel. Dumba is perfect as a shooter, and maybe even a QB, in the future....I want him out there for almost the entire PP. We also need a RH shooter from the half wall. Would be nice if Kunin could be that guy. Parise , and maybe Greenway can be two different looks at the crease. Granlund is fine ...on the right half wall only, please.

I'm sure they do this during practice, but they have to continue to practice changing positions during the PP. I suspect( but don't know) that they practice it, but then Suter reverts when he gets to games, and does what he is comfortable with.

Oh, and Staal/ Koivu only seem to be comfortable in the slot, yet how many times do they get a shot, deflection or good pass off from that position? They just sort of stand there. Why not move a bit?
Huh?
Dumba is the RH shot from the half wall. not sure where you're thinking of puting Kunin.
Parise and Granlund are the guys that slow down the PP. Granlund makes up for it somewhat with his creativity. Parise is terrible on the PP.
Koivu hardly ever even enters the slot on the PP, not sure where you got that take?

The Wild PP right now is designed to be worked from the half walls. That's Parise and Granlund.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
and we're back to this old chestnut? News flash, Suter is better at his job on the PP than any other Wild player is at his. And it isn't really close.
How can you tell? He plays 1:30 of each PP. Bringing up the puck and zone entry is painful to watch. He lollygaggles up the ice with the puck with no energy. I'd rather see Spurge in his place.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just realized that this is the Ek thread. :boredom:

Hope he keeps up his progress, but he'll probably have his up and downs.

Reactions: Wabit

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
How can you tell? He plays 1:30 of each PP. Bringing up the puck and zone entry is painful to watch. He lollygaggles up the ice with the puck with no energy. I'd rather see Spurge in his place.
You can see Spurgeon's entries on the 2nd unit. They're terrible

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Ya think? So predictable. He holds the puck too long on a dump in. It needs to be dumped in as the forwards are hitting the line with speed.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Yes. Slow and predictable Suter is the best option the Wild have.
It's just maddening to fans when there is no urgency when behind in games and pp time is running out. But it's been like that for years.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
So, I've been an Ek doubter for the past couple seasons. I tried to stay quiet with my criticisms because the kid was 21-22.

Ever since the Koivu injury, he's been impressing the hell out of me. Kid's a monster on the puck. Battles hard. Uses his size well. Makes smart plays. Shot isn't bad, either. Incredibly impressive how he has stepped up.

I'm gladly eating crow on his progression.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So, I've been an Ek doubter for the past couple seasons. I tried to stay quiet with my criticisms because the kid was 21-22.

Ever since the Koivu injury, he's been impressing the hell out of me. Kid's a monster on the puck. Battles hard. Uses his size well. Makes smart plays. Shot isn't bad, either. Incredibly impressive how he has stepped up.

I'm gladly eating crow on his progression.

Agree with you on all this, but he still needs to take another significant step forward next season. 9 points in his last 21 games is a 35 point pace in a full season. That's still very disappointing. He needs to start producing.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Agree - he made the play on Read's goal last night - recently had a nice goal disallowed on a challenge - scored a late winner in the 'Peg. He is contributing good shifts all game long these days.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Agree with you on all this, but he still needs to take another significant step forward next season. 9 points in his last 21 games is a 35 point pace in a full season. That's still very disappointing. He needs to start producing.
For a guy who has never had more that 22 points in a season anywhere, that would be a solid step forward.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
If he continues to play this well with consistency, I think the points will come.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Eriksson Ek is starting to look like a very good 3rd line center. That's a huge improvement from where he was 2 months ago, but still isn't close to deserving some of the praise being thrown around.

I'm happy for the kid, and would genuinely love for him to make me look like an idiot, and become a 2nd line center. But, he isn't close to that yet, and a dozen solid games doesn't do enough for me. Reading about people being worried that Koivu might come back and take some of his icetime away, is beyond hilarious to me.

Reactions: TaLoN and AKL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad