Prospect Info: Joel Blomqvist, goaltender (2nd round, #52 overall, 2020)

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Blomqvist is fourth on the depth chart right now. Hellberg has been the first recall all season.

Blomqvist will be third on the depth chart next year with the idea that if he continues to perform at a high level in the AHL, the Pens will move whoever their backup goalie is and make way for Blomqvist.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised to see him up after the deadline this season to get some NHL games. He's a Matt Murray like dark horse candidate to come in as the backup next season and the starter the year after.

Coffee

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
Dude looks like a young Khabibulin, small sample size, sure, but he has always had good numbers in other leagues too

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What’s gonna be the plan with him this season??? to the AHL pretty quick and roll with Jarry/Nedel???

Seems like Blomqvist has impressed but I get contract wise it’s most likely AHL unless a trade can happen to open a spot for him

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Blomqvist doesn’t look like an NHL caliber goalie to me. He seems a little slow tracking the puck and is often off his angle. Maybe someone can correct me in this, but I think he’s just getting a lot of support from the fanbase because our goaltending is a huge issue right now, and we’re all happy he’s not Jarry.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Blomqvist doesn’t look like an NHL caliber goalie to me. He seems a little slow tracking the puck and is often off his angle. Maybe someone can correct me in this, but I think he’s just getting a lot of support from the fanbase because our goaltending is a huge issue right now, and we’re all happy he’s not Jarry.
IMG_3953.jpeg

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
That’s not productive.
Apologies, but there's really no way to sugarcoat it. Blomqvist has shown he's at least a solid starter in this league, and on a team that actually has the capability to play a structured, defensive game? He could probably be a very good starter. To say you don't think he's even an NHL caliber goalie is asinine. /shrug

Yes, we are all tired and disgusted with Jarry and Ned, but that's not why people are pointing to Blomqvist as one of the very few bright spots in a dismal season. Dude has shown the potential to be a borderline great goalie. But he's gonna have to escape this hellhole of a coach and team to hit his ceiling.

Randy Butternubs

Registurd User
Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If it’s productive discussion you want, you can catch me on my alt account (@Randy Butternubs).

I use this account if I’m just in a goofy mood, and don’t want to take my posting too seriously.

And If I feel like pissing everyone the f*** off I post as my dark alter ego (@Gurglesons)

Not sure if these Randy posts are productive either.

• Love
Reactions: KareemTrustfund

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Blomqvist has been fine. And even if he wasn’t you don’t stamp a goalie as not NHL caliber at 22.
I guess I should have clarified that he doesn’t look NHL caliber right now. I’m not saying he will never be. But he looks slow tracking the puck to me, because his movement seems to be slightly behind what I’ve seen from NHL starters.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I guess I should have clarified that he doesn’t look NHL caliber right now. I’m not saying he will never be. But he looks slow tracking the puck to me, because his movement seems to be slightly behind what I’ve seen from NHL starters.
All joking aside , besides the Marner goal where he lost the net a bit , I’m not seeing what you’re seeing. He seems to be tracking it excellently through traffic , rebound control is pro level , positionally he’s been great. He’s been absolutely peppered with grade A scoring chances and looks up to the task.
He’s got all the talent to play in the league and should be this teams numéro uno right now.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pens don't have a plan, more than just try to survive the week. Blom looks good but rehabbing Jarry, either to be the guy or at least convince someone else to take him off our hands, is important. Ned is back from injury and deserves a shot to claim the net as well. More than anything though the team needs to find a way to win a game.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
You have to give Blom an A+++ thus far. He's the lone bright spot this season and playing leagues better (literally) than anybody could have expected.

With that said, goalies are notoriously volatile. In the last 5 years alone, we've seen both Murray and Jarry fall off the cliff MASSIVELY.

It's too early declare Blom the goalie of the future, but there's nothing more he could have done thus far to prove that he at least has a chance to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad