Prospect Info: Joel Blomqvist, goaltender (2nd round, #52 overall, 2020)

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Blomqvist is fourth on the depth chart right now. Hellberg has been the first recall all season.

Blomqvist will be third on the depth chart next year with the idea that if he continues to perform at a high level in the AHL, the Pens will move whoever their backup goalie is and make way for Blomqvist.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised to see him up after the deadline this season to get some NHL games. He's a Matt Murray like dark horse candidate to come in as the backup next season and the starter the year after.

Coffee

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
Dude looks like a young Khabibulin, small sample size, sure, but he has always had good numbers in other leagues too

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What’s gonna be the plan with him this season??? to the AHL pretty quick and roll with Jarry/Nedel???

Seems like Blomqvist has impressed but I get contract wise it’s most likely AHL unless a trade can happen to open a spot for him

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Blomqvist doesn’t look like an NHL caliber goalie to me. He seems a little slow tracking the puck and is often off his angle. Maybe someone can correct me in this, but I think he’s just getting a lot of support from the fanbase because our goaltending is a huge issue right now, and we’re all happy he’s not Jarry.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Blomqvist doesn’t look like an NHL caliber goalie to me. He seems a little slow tracking the puck and is often off his angle. Maybe someone can correct me in this, but I think he’s just getting a lot of support from the fanbase because our goaltending is a huge issue right now, and we’re all happy he’s not Jarry.
IMG_3953.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad