Prospect Info: Joel Blomqvist, goaltender (2nd round, #52 overall, 2020)

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Pronman had him as his highest ranked goalie available. I would have wanted a skater if the emphasis is the remainder of the Crosby/Malkin era.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If he develops into a quality goalie, then you can have options to not have one of those 6 year 7 million goalies that have risk in term and AAV. I like the pick here rather than another 5- 10 170lb lefty D man.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So we traded Murray for this goalie basically.

On one level it makes sense. The Pens would have lost Murray to expansion for nothing. Or worse had to tie up a ton in the goal position then lose him in free agency.

You keep this guy for a while.

But it seems silly on the surface.

Reactions: pengineer

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
So we traded Murray for this goalie basically.

On one level it makes sense. The Pens would have lost Murray to expansion for nothing. Or worse had to tie up a ton in the goal position then lose him in free agency.

You keep this guy for a while.

But it seems silly on the surface.

Silly on the surface? Probably. However, we’ve normally drafted goalies pretty well and have generally been average drafting at all other positions (aside from Guentzel and Letang), so I’ll take it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Goalies are such a crapshoot, but like people are saying, we usually hit on them.

Not a terribly exciting pick for anyone looking to have fun boxscore watching, but whatever. Let's see how she goes.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Annoyed just because. We desperately need center prospects and I wanted one. No idea if there was one available worth taking, but I want to be mad.

6XLk.gif

Reactions: Shady Machine

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Jan Mysak is who I wanted there. But was taken a few picks earlier. There was nobody else.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I trust that he was the BPA, and he fills a position of need in the farm system. Sounds promising.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
What’s his status there in Karpat? Starting temporarily due to injury? Will he make WJC team?

Both goalies were injured, but are back now. Blomqvist will play the rest of the season in Mestis(2nd tier pro)

Should be a starter for Finland at WJC.

Kärpät goalie coach Ari Hilli has a great track record developing goalies. Best ones being Nicklas Bäckström, Pekka Rinne and Tim Thomas. Done a great job with Colorado prospect Justus Annunen for the past two years as well.

Blomqvist will probably stay in Mestis for the whole year and be a starter in Liiga next season.

Reactions: Jacob

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Both goalies were injured, but are back now. Blomqvist will play the rest of the season in Mestis(2nd tier pro)

Should be a starter for Finland at WJC.

Kärpät goalie coach Ari Hilli has a great track record developing goalies. Best ones being Nicklas Bäckström, Pekka Rinne and Tim Thomas. Done a great job with Colorado prospect Justus Annunen for the past two years as well.

Blomqvist will probably stay in Mestis for the whole year and be a starter in Liiga next season.
Will be nice to see possibly multiple Pens at the WJCs

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Annoyed just because. We desperately need center prospects and I wanted one. No idea if there was one available worth taking, but I want to be mad.

Same. I know it's partly irrational, but I'm just not a big goalie proponent. While it's obviously a valuable position, I just think it's much easier to acquire a competent goalie for relatively less value than it is to land a high end scorer or a top pairing defenseman, so I prefer using high draft picks on the chance of the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad