Joe Thornton Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
I think the most important part of these lines that some people are totally under rating is the fact that Hyman will be an absolute monster puck hound on the third line and can finally be given a chance to excel at he does best without worrying about trying to get the puck to others. He can grind the shit out of the opposition. Even if/when Jumbo is replaced on the top line, I hope Hyman stays on the grinder line, it will be fun to watch. Zezel Berg Osbourne all over again.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think the most important part of these lines that some people are totally under rating is the fact that Hyman will be an absolute monster puck hound on the third line and can finally be given a chance to excel at he does best with worrying about trying to get the puck to others. He can grind the shit out of the opposition. Even if/when Jumbo is replaced on the top line, I hope Hyman stays on the grinder line, it will be fun to watch. Zezel Berg Osbourne all over again.

But way faster and more skilled than that line.

horner

May 22, 2007
Seems a bit odd putting him on the top line at his age.

I would have thought they would try to shelter him with fewer minutes.

I do wonder if he can keep up the pace that's needed to play top-line minutes.
Especially with a shortened training camp and no exhibition.
You want you top two lines to come out of the gate flying .
Don't try new chemistry in the first day if practice.
Hi with the top six from the playoffs.

Just like leaf management to get all excited about what could be .

Unless there is an injury

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
A lot of Habs fans ripping on Joe Thornton in the top six as if old man Joe didn't outscore 2/3 of their forwards last year.

the same fans that are pencilling in Jonathan Drouin and Josh Anderson as their "1st line".

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
A lot of Habs fans ripping on Joe Thornton in the top six as if old man Joe didn't outscore 2/3 of their forwards last year.
Damn COVId really makes you forget how shitty that habs team was. They were same as buffalo before getting hot and having a good playoffs.

They've added pieces so their team should be better and competitive but the way some hab fans talk it was as if they had a division spot clinched come COVID with a strong team before adding Anderson, Edmunson, Toffoli.

They were a mediocre team who added some good size, and skill which should help them. They are not a 100 point team going to a 110+ point team

They are a 85 point team trying to go to a 100 point team

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
For all you who doubt the great Joe Thorton just keep in mind that Thorton had 12 points in 16 games against the Canadian teams that he'll be playing this year all season. So that would be a nice 42 points in a 56 game season if he performs like last year. Now he'll have way better players to play with as well. Thorton might just surprise everybody.

And we might even look at Thorton's 2018-19 season for anybody who complains about small sample size and we'll see that Thornton has had 31 points in 36 games against his Canadian opponents. Remember that this is Thornton after his knees gave up on him. So that would give him 48 points in a 56 game season. 45 points really isn't that crazy if Thorton will play all 56 games and gets some time with Matthews and Marner.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Thornton's most common 5v5 linemates last year, with their total scoring rates 5v5 (both with and without each other):

Thornton: 26pt pace

1. Sorenson (449:30): 21pt pace
2. Labanc (392:37): 26pt pace
3. Meier (253:06): 42pt pace
4. Marleau (173:16): 25pt pace
5. Goodrow (141:18): 23pt pace
6. Karlsson (124:31): 15pt pace
7. Gambrell (80:52): 16pt pace
8. Hertl (62:55): 36pt pace
9. Kane (48:57): 27pt pace

So of all the linemates Thornton played with last year, of the frequent ones only Meier was better than him offensively at 5v5 last year, while both Hertl and Kane who he barely played with were only slightly better than him at 5v5 last year.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I think the most important part of these lines that some people are totally under rating is the fact that Hyman will be an absolute monster puck hound on the third line and can finally be given a chance to excel at he does best with worrying about trying to get the puck to others. He can grind the shit out of the opposition. Even if/when Jumbo is replaced on the top line, I hope Hyman stays on the grinder line, it will be fun to watch. Zezel Berg Osbourne all over again.

After watching Dallas' playoff run and seeing their 3rd line dominate the possession game against the oppositions top line, it made me realize that this is what we were really missing.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think the most important part of these lines that some people are totally under rating is the fact that Hyman will be an absolute monster puck hound on the third line and can finally be given a chance to excel at he does best without worrying about trying to get the puck to others. He can grind the shit out of the opposition. Even if/when Jumbo is replaced on the top line, I hope Hyman stays on the grinder line, it will be fun to watch. Zezel Berg Osbourne all over again.

The underrated part about this is the trickle down effect of having that line. We're no longer forced to play Matthews/Tavares head to head against the opponent's top line, that opens up a lot of soft offensive minutes and double shifting opportunities against 3rd pair D.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Last season Thornton played in all 70 games with the Sharks getting 7 goals, 24 assists, and 31 points. That was better than Jonathan Drouin who had 7 goals, 8 assists, and 15 points, although he only played in 27 games.

However if you go back to the 2018-19 season when Thornton played in 73 games he had 16 goals, 35 assists, and 51 points. Drouin played in 81 games and had 18 goals, 35 assists and 53 points.

A 38-year old Marleau with Matthews and Marner on the 1st line by Babcock -- pure blasphemy!

A 41-year old Thornton with Matthews and Marner on the 1st line by Keefe -- pure genius!
There is one thing you forgot.

Marleau was playing on a 3 year $6.25 million AAV contract and in some games he was getting more ice time than Auston Matthews.

Thornton signed a 1 year $700,000 AAV contract and no rational Maple Leafs fan expecting him to put up 125 points which is what he got in the 2005-06 season when he won the Hart Trophy and Art Ross.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Keefe likes to mix lines up, it’s not like it’s been etched in a stone tablet. Curious to see what Joe can teach the two both off and on the ice.

I love both players, but they need to get their heads on straight.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Don't think so, but he's split center duties with Pavelski before.
He hasn't no. He rarely even touched the wing in san jose. But he he still bout that sire. He adapts to everythang cause of his experience and wealth. It's a beautiful thang really when we all look at it. Still scoring 50 points, what!

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I want to see Joe fight Kadri if they ever get to play him.
It will be great trivia........fight him against the Leafs then fight him for the Leafs. Lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Oftentimes, fans need to be reminded of the fact that top six roles can be filled by players who are not top six caliber players because they bring a specialized complementary skillset or just be playing a temporary role to change the complexion of a line.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The underrated part about this is the trickle down effect of having that line. We're no longer forced to play Matthews/Tavares head to head against the opponent's top line, that opens up a lot of soft offensive minutes and double shifting opportunities against 3rd pair D.

This is a valid point. You place him on top line, allowing him to be more effective with two players who already do well together, while balancing out the other lines. This makes it tougher for the opposition coaches to match up. If Joe plays as he can, it's a great problem to have.

I'm not going to compare Matthews/Marner to Oates/Hull, but one can observe this situation in an equivalent manner. You reinforce the two who have had scoring success together and you have the luxury of adding any number of 3rd wheels and it will work. If that player has any history of scoring generation, it's going to work that much better.

Thornton may not be 25 anymore, but he's used to being an elite player. Whether he or Spezza, you adapt your game slightly as you age, but, you don't forget your fundamentals and your former elite success.

It's like anything in life with success, experience and confidence. He will play a few years younger with them. At least in theory. There will be numerous different looks this year, it's almost a certainty.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I often felt that Spezza should've been elevated to one of the top 2 lines last year.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
So many of us have hoped for this for years. Let's see him finally played where he should be!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad