OT: Job Market in Calgary/Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yes, come vacation at Red Deer and view our many RV dealerships!

Thats not completely fair. Theres also liquor stores on every corner, pole dancing down the street, and the sleaze bar on the next block. Take a large walking berth around the drug or gang house. and don't go downtown..lol

What we're servicing here with this is the OP and any unsuspecting knowing that next to Ft. Mac, Red Deer is the armpit of Alberta.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Thats not completely fair. Theres also liquor stores on every corner, pole dancing down the street, and the sleaze bar on the next block. Take a large walking berth around the drug or gang house. and don't go downtown..lol

What we're servicing here with this is the OP and any unsuspecting knowing that next to Ft. Mac Red Deer is the armpit of Alberta.

There's also the Sutter house.

Stand in awe at a place that could produce that much personality.

Downtown is a very safe area!:laugh:

Red Deer has a downtown? I was under the impression it was just a long road with RV dealerships on the one side and fast food joints on the other.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There's also the Sutter house.

Stand in awe at a place that could produce that much personality.

See, no end of redeeming features. Theres also DB central in the province, Sylvan Lake, nearby, which an amazing amount of local people can't spell but manage to find it just the same when they're not driving into the lake or offroads or across lanes or plowing into cows..

Reminder. NEVER be driving ANYWHERE on a highway near Sylvan lake on any weekend late night.:amazed:

whlscowt

It really depends on your field and who you know. A lot of what you hear in regards to Alberta's booming economy is oil & gas and outside of the jobs relating to the oil sands, I wouldn't consider the opportunities anymore bountiful than any other city given it's density. At least not in the professional spectrum. I have some friends here with Business Marketing degrees who currently wait tables 4 years after graduation due to the high competition for jobs in their field. Again, I think it's all about who you know. If you have some ins here you will be just fine.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

What we're servicing here with this is the OP and any unsuspecting knowing that next to Ft. Mac, Red Deer is the armpit of Alberta.

As bad as Red Deer is;I really do believe that there's competition between Red Deer and Hobbema for winning the Ultimate Undisputed Championship for being Alberta's largest armpit.:biglaugh:

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Red Deer and Medicine Hat are awesome places.... to drive through... but calling them cities (though may be technically feasible)..is over achieving.. they are borderline villages... and alot rougher then Edmonton or Calgary... Edmonton is closer to Fort Mac.. so I would go with E-Town where you can drive up and look for better work every week-end.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
As bad as Red Deer is;I really do believe that there's competition between Red Deer and Hobbema for winning the Ultimate Undisputed Championship for being Alberta's largest armpit.:biglaugh:

The whole region is a disaster in the making.

More on drunk driving charges. Keeping in mind much of the driving done in the region would be on highways. Next time you wonder why a vehicle is coming against you at high speed on the wrong side of the QE2 highway. I have to say I have difficulty comprehending how screwed up a person has to be do be driving on the wrong side of a multilane divided highway.

http://madd.ca/reddeer/pages/posts/drunk-stats-stun-ponoka253.php

This is like society fail in these regions. Imagine over 10yr periods what proportion of the total pop in surrounding area are charged with drunk driving?

Last edited:

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
A typical week in Red Deer:

http://www.reddeer.ca/City+Governme...hive/2008/April/Crime+Stats+April+7+to+13.htm

Note that due to the resident population these all neatly conform automatically to rates/100,000.

Next

http://madd.ca/reddeer/pages/local-rcmp-stats.php

Naughty, naughty, boys and girls. This is some pretty active mayhem for a very small city. Note, this is per week, not per year, lol.

Love how you cherry pick one week from a year lol now show Edmonton for a week and divide each by 8, you act like Edmonton is saint ville lol I love Edmonton hate the traffic but you think your a expert on a city you have already claimed you refuse to go through :laugh: Here is another week http://www.reddeer.ca/City+Governme...08/April/Crime+Stats+April+21+to+April+27.htm Now lets see Edmonton's weekly breakdown cherry picker eagerly waiting and why you pick 2008 where it is known crimes across Canada have been dropping.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
When you have no reasonable reply resort to the above.

Fact of the matter is you CAN get to U of A in around half an hour. How was I wrong?

What you state is irrelevant and anecdotal. Fact of the matter is the city does provide reasonable avenues of transportation to get to all locations. Just because it isn't your CHOSEN means of transportation doesn't mean jack****.

Put it a different way. Transportation from North Van or Lonsdale to downtown Vancouver is brutal. So the city puts in the Seabus to ease some of that overload in an area and pathway that is bound to be difficult. You'd be hollering that the city should put in a ferry so you could drive your vehicle across the harbor when other modes do fine for most.
Similarly Vancouver has Skytrain to many outlying areas as well as West Coast Express. This hbeing an acknowledgement of the NEED to put these other modes in because servicing vehicular traffic is just not going to be the answer (and rarely is) none of them btw piggyback personal vehicles on the trains..

Similarly in Toronto, or basically any large city Go Trains service the commute to outlying regions. Because the highways are over run no matter how many lanes you care to add.

Edmonton is a rapidly growing city, different modes of transportation are required in any such city. But to try to pretend that commute time is significant in anyway in Edmonton is laughable.

your turn

Everything you have said in this thread is anecdotal, Replacement. Jesus Christ, man.

Since you are choosing to be purposely obtuse and belligerent, for the third time, I need my vehicle because I travel all around the city on a daily basis as part of my job. A point I keep making, a point you keep ignore and telling me to choose another mode of transportation to the University area. Shows your simply too eager to engage in response without actually reading what is replied to your posts. But then again, since my actual experience driving all over town daily doesn't jive with your illusions about traffic in this city is, it doesn't count for ****.

Between your Red Deer rant and anyone who can't get anywhere in the city in 30 minutes anytime of day (which is absolutely laughable, do you know what the Yellowhead Trail is?) useless ******** which of course you claim as fact, then turns around and claims someone's daily experience has no merit just because you say so just shows your on one of your crusades again. And I want no part of it.

As someone who spent 10 year living in Vancouver, why would I want a Ferry?!? If I need my vehicle for work, which I did, I just drive it over one of he bridges.

I consider any discussion with you on this matter over. Please follow suit.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Everything you have said in this thread is anecdotal, Replacement. Jesus Christ, man.

Since you are choosing to be purposely obtuse and belligerent, for the third time, I need my vehicle because I travel all around the city on a daily basis as part of my job. A point I keep making, a point you keep ignore and telling me to choose another mode of transportation to the University area. Shows your simply too eager to engage in response without actually reading what is replied to your posts. But then again, since my actual experience driving all over town daily doesn't jive with your illusions about traffic in this city is, it doesn't count for ****.

Between your Red Deer rant and anyone who can't get anywhere in the city in 30 minutes anytime of day is useless ******** which of course you claim as fact, then turns around and claims someone's daily experience has no merit just because you say so just shows your on one of your crusades again. And I want no part of it.

I consider any discussion with you on this matter over. Please follow suit.

Looks like a bad day for you, consider it done, it was just our usual back and forth banter, cheers.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Love how you cherry pick one week from a year lol now show Edmonton for a week and divide each by 8, you act like Edmonton is saint ville lol I love Edmonton hate the traffic but you think your a expert on a city you have already claimed you refuse to go through :laugh: Here is another week http://www.reddeer.ca/City+Governme...08/April/Crime+Stats+April+21+to+April+27.htm Now lets see Edmonton's weekly breakdown cherry picker eagerly waiting and why you pick 2008 where it is known crimes across Canada have been dropping.

I tried to get more recent numbers from the same site. Couldn't find them for some reason. Perhaps too depressing. Don't think I cherry picked either. The week you picked out of the hat is a complete disaster. The entire city of Edmonton wouldn't run up those numbers listed in one week. Do some homework.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
For what your doing business admin/management Calgary is where you want to be. All the corporate head offices are there. Edmonton is more the blue collar end of the oil industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad