OT: Job Market in Calgary/Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Off topic I know, but I figure no better place to get an opinion on the Alberta job market. I'll be graduating in April (Business Admin: International Business), and have years of management experience (seasonal), but the Niagara Region has recently been rated the worst in Canada to find fulltime work. I'm also not a big Toronto fan.

I'm planning on coming to Calgary for a couple weeks (and maybe Edmonton too) right after graduation to look for jobs in marketing, customs brokerage, sales, purchasing, quality control... basically whatever I can get.

Is there lots of opportunity there for a new grad with some experience, and if so, is there a lot more in Calgary than Edmonton? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MrOiler

Jul 28, 2006
Calgary
Off topic I know, but I figure no better place to get an opinion on the Alberta job market. I'll be graduating in April (Business Admin: International Business), and have years of management experience (seasonal), but the Niagara Region has recently been rated the worst in Canada to find fulltime work. I'm also not a big Toronto fan.

I'm planning on coming to Calgary for a couple weeks (and maybe Edmonton too) right after graduation to look for jobs in marketing, customs brokerage, sales, purchasing, quality control... basically whatever I can get.

Is there lots of opportunity there for a new grad with some experience, and if so, is there a lot more in Calgary than Edmonton? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There's an equal amount of work in either City. To generalize, in Calgary you're going to find oil companies, engineering firms and all the companies that cater to them. In Edmonton you will find oil and gas manufacturing and service companies and government jobs.

Take your pick.

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
^also, do go to both cities, see what's there job wise and which city you might like best to live in....but keep in mind there's also a chance you could find a good job in a smaller town like Fort Mac, Red Deer or Medicine Hat....

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton

Thanks!

There's tons of opportunities in either city.It's really just a matter of what market you want to specialize in.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I often think of moving back to Edmonton and get a well paying job, but every so often I remind myself of the winters and you either love or hate winters and I like warmth

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Red Deer is another City to check out for Jobs.

Growth in the last twenty years:

1993-59,826
2013-97,109

City is booming.

The whole province is like that though. My dad moved to Edmonton in 1975 and it had a population of around 250 000. We've added nearly a million people since. But you're right, Red Deer is a good place to look for work.

@ OP. I think, given your field (international business), you're more likely to find work in Calgary than Edmonton so I'd concentrate a bit more on there than here.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/14/top-canadian-cities-entrepreneurs_n_3232577.html

Grande Prairie, Alberta, landed the top spot as the overall best city in Canada to launch a business in. So it should come as no surprise that Western Manufacturing, the company that currently holds the number one spot on PROFIT Magazine’s Hot 50 list, is based there.

Grande Prairie is a good place to get your feet wet if your coming out of school and need that good first job to acquire experience.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Red Deer is another City to check out for Jobs.

Growth in the last twenty years:

1993-59,826
2013-97,109

City is booming.
It is also so nice not to be stuck in traffic daily, I grew up and lived in Edmonton lived in Calgary as well and now when I go back to either city I can not handle driving thru them anymore, Can't see how I put up with it living in those cities.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The whole province is like that though. My dad moved to Edmonton in 1975 and it had a population of around 250 000. We've added nearly a million people since. But you're right, Red Deer is a good place to look for work.

@ OP. I think, given your field (international business), you're more likely to find work in Calgary than Edmonton so I'd concentrate a bit more on there than here.

This is far off the mark. The pop of Edmonton in 1975 was 462,000. With the metro pop being around 650K at the time. The current COE pop stands at 817,000 with the latest numbers. The metro population being around 1.2M currently.

In essence what you're saying is true but using wrong numbers to make that argument.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
It is also so nice not to be stuck in traffic daily, I grew up and lived in Edmonton lived in Calgary as well and now when I go back to either city I can not handle driving thru them anymore, Can't see how I put up with it living in those cities.

Speaking of our terrible roads system, what the hell is up with highway 21 in Sherwood Park being a ****ing 80 limit? And the cops like to set up their speed trap directly before it finally turns to 100. Totally criminal.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

lol

I can't stand how Red Deer, a *city* of 100K manages to sprawl endlessly that it seems to take forever to get through the urban blight even while driving 120K. I don't stop in Red Deer unless I'm in dire danger of running out of gas.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
lol

I can't stand how Red Deer, a *city* of 100K manages to sprawl endlessly that it seems to take forever to get through the urban blight even while driving 120K. I don't stop in Red Deer unless I'm in dire danger of running out of gas.

Red deer from south to north is like going from 23 ave to jasper ave from east to west from 91 st to 122 st south side also takes less than 15 min to get anywhere even during rush hour. Also highway rounds around the edge of city even on busiest road gaetz with all the lights from south most end to north most end 15 min.I lived in Edmonton over 30 years and only reason for never moving back is the traffic.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Red deer from south to north is like going from 23 ave to jasper ave from east to west from 91 st to 122 st south side also takes less than 15 min to get anywhere even during rush hour. Also highway rounds around the edge of city even on busiest road gaetz with all the lights from south most end to north most end 15 min.I lived in Edmonton over 30 years and only reason for never moving back is the traffic.

lol

Red Deer is a city of 100K. How long do you think it should take to get through?

If you think Edmonton or Calgary have bad traffic you've never driven in a city that has traffic jams.

Try a 2hour standstill in the Vancouver area lower Mainland sometime. Or try Toronto just about anywhere. Or London England. NEVER drive there.

Ringroads in Calgary and Edmonton have made traffic an entire non issue. Not that it ever was one.

At least I can park my vehicle in this city pretty much anywhere and not worry about it. Wouldn't spend time in Red Deer if you paid me. Always glad to be passing through quickly. The rest of the province considers Red Deer as a general speed bump annoyance on the way to Calgary or Edmonton.

Last edited:

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
lol

Its a city of 100K. How long do you think it should take to get through?

If you think Edmonton or Calgary have bad traffic you've never driven in a city that has traffic jams.

Try a 2hour standstill in the Vancouver area lower Mainland sometime. Or try Toronto just about anywhere. Or London England. NEVER drive there.

Ringroads in Calgary and Edmonton have made traffic an entire non issue. Not that it ever was one.

At least I can park my vehicle in this city pretty much anywhere and not worry about it. Wouldn't spend time in Red Deer if you paid me
Been to Vancouver many times and when I lived in Edmonton and Calgary you get used to the traffic when you leave for a few years and come back you realize what a pain it is. You seem to have never lived anywhere else to understand how nice it is not stopped at every second light breathing fumes or bouncing around cause the piss poor states of the road , also going thru downtown Red Deer all lights are synchronized you hit one green you get them all green something Edmonton and Calgary are both clueless about every 2nd light your stopped stupidity at its finest. I also know a lot of other people here in Red Deer from Edmonton as well and they will never go back either Red Deer great little city.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Been to Vancouver many times and when I lived in Edmonton and Calgary you get used to the traffic when you leave for a few years and come back you realize what a pain it is. You seem to have never lived anywhere else to understand how nice it is not stopped at every second light breathing fumes or bouncing around cause the piss poor states of the road , also going thru downtown Red Deer all lights are synchronized you hit one green you get them all green something Edmonton and Calgary are both clueless about every 2nd light your stopped stupidity at its finest. I also know a lot of other people here in Red Deer from Edmonton as well and they will never go back either Red Deer great little city.

Red Deer a great little city? lol

Drinking, drugs, gangs, wannabes.

A lot of young people with a lot of cash they don't know what to do with and with associated social and criminal problems. I'm amazed how many problems there are in Red Deer.

IN anycase it seems as if you've never been on either Edmonton or Calgarys ringroad or freeways. Wait at traffic lights? Majority of driving I do here I rarely see lights even being a factor. Not hard to find routes here that involve minimal traffic lights and delays.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013

A lot of young people with a lot of cash they don't know what to do with and with associated social and criminal problems. I'm amazed how many problems there are in Red Deer.
Lol you.re clueless
Red Deer 100 times safer than Edmonton quit Talking out of your ass, The majority of this city is employed and without homeless people very quiet city . I love Edmonton was born raised there still follow what goes on in the city, but don't want to live there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lol you.re clueless
Red Deer 100 times safer than Edmonton quit Talking out of your ass, The majority of this city is employed and without homeless people very quiet city . I love Edmonton was born raised there still follow what goes on in the city, but don't want to live there.

lol

citation please

Red Deer "Very quiet" lol

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/city/story.html?id=1e1a16b5-ba49-4081-bed9-74712adf852e

I would rather have some homeless people then 100's of gang members finding turf in a small community.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Lol you.re clueless

Yet,Crime rates actually show that Red Deer is more dangerous than Edmonton.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013

IN anycase it seems as if you've never been on either Edmonton or Calgarys ringroad or freeways. Wait at traffic lights? Majority of driving I do here I rarely see lights even being a factor. Not hard to find routes here that involve minimal traffic lights and delays.
Lived in Red deer 3 years been on henday many times grew up near southgate Henday runs around perimeter of the city Does not immune you from traveling south to north or east to west if you live at south gate you going to hope on Henday to get to downtown or Capilano lol And whitemud still a parking lot if their is a stalled car on it . How abut going up 99 street or Argyll Henday improved yellowhead but that's about it. How about the trek from downtown to summerside yea Henday really helped that :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad