Prospect Info: Joakim Kemell, 17th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Finnish winger Joakim Kemell had a real coming-out party at the 2022 Under-18 World Hockey Championships. He scored six goals and two assists for eight points in five games, helping the Finnish team to the bronze medal. Kemmel was also named a top-three player on the team. The excellent tournament performance came after a strong rookie season in the SM Liiga. Playing for JYP, he scored 15 goals and eight assists for 23 points in 39 games. Kemell led all SM Liiga rookies in goals. He was also named to the Finnish team at the World Juniors, but the tournament was postponed due to COVID.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Great pick, pretty unbelievable he fell to us. Sort of a risky pick, but if he pans out, look out.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He's a very good pick; I just need to take some time to get past the horror I had associated with his name for so long owing to fear that the Jackets would take him earlier than he should have been. :D

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Building a logjam on the right side in the future with Tomasino, Kemell and Evangelista. Pretty nice problem to have, though.

I think with this pick, our forward prospect pool looks good. Kemell, Tomasino, Evangelista and L'Heureux are all on the smaller side. Svechkov, Glass, Pärssinen and Afanasyev fortunately bring some size.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yes! Fantastic pick.

The wait is over for Kemell. I spoke with an NHL draft analyst who said the most shocking part of the first round was seeing this elite goal-scoring prospect tumble out of the top 10 -- and continue to tumble all the way to No. 17 and the Predators. The reason: He's 5-9 and plays on the wing. For all the talk about this becoming a "small man's league," the 2022 draft had a surprising emphasis on size. Kemell had 15 goals in his first pro season in Liiga. He's got terrific hands and a dynamic offensive game, but how that projects to the NHL has been a mystery scouts have been trying to solve for a while. -- Wyshynski

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Building a logjam on the right side in the future with Tomasino, Kemell and Evangelista. Pretty nice problem to have, though.

I think with this pick, our forward prospect pool looks good. Kemell, Tomasino, Evangelista and L'Heureux are all on the smaller side. Svechkov, Glass, Pärssinen and Afanasyev fortunately bring some size.
Gotta wonder if any of them can play offwing? Tomasino maybe swing back to center?

Kemell and L’Heureux could become a rather pesky line

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Gotta wonder if any of them can play offwing? Tomasino maybe swing back to center?

Kemell and L’Heureux could become a rather pesky line
I would think Kemell would be the most likely to switch. He does a lot of damage with his one-timer, so he'd be a logical fit on the left-wing as well.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Debrincat is listed at 5’7 and 165 lbs so it can be done at even smaller size
Yes! Fantastic pick.

The wait is over for Kemell. I spoke with an NHL draft analyst who said the most shocking part of the first round was seeing this elite goal-scoring prospect tumble out of the top 10 -- and continue to tumble all the way to No. 17 and the Predators. The reason: He's 5-9 and plays on the wing. For all the talk about this becoming a "small man's league," the 2022 draft had a surprising emphasis on size. Kemell had 15 goals in his first pro season in Liiga. He's got terrific hands and a dynamic offensive game, but how that projects to the NHL has been a mystery scouts have been trying to solve for a while. -- Wyshynski

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
MSz1W0T.png

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00