GDT: Jimmy Hayes Plays - New Jersey Devils at New York Rangers 7PM MSG+, MSG2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
News flash that’s why you have a goalie! You know to make a big save and bail the team out when mistakes happen?
Eh, it wasn't nearly as bad as Cory's softies from last night. I get that Cory won the first game against Columbus for us, but he absolutely blew it last night. If he had played half-way decent we would have won as most of the goals last night were completely stoppable.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Eh, it wasn't nearly as bad as Cory's softies from last night. I get that Cory won the first game against Columbus for us, but he absolutely blew it last night. If he had played half-way decent we would have won as most of the goals last night were completely stoppable.

This isn't true either.

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
I think shero with his hockey acumen may have passed if he was given the opportunity to get Cory

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who is talking about his season? Right now we would be done 3 or 4 goals if not for Keith.

Man when you have an axe to grind
He’s played fine tonight, I’ll give you that. I still don’t like the goal he allowed, but this was a sleepwalker period. Started out fine, until the goal was scored. This 1st period was awful, as we usually look good after getting scored on.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Just hypothetic

Just hypothetically speaking here, I know it’s too early to consider, but speaking in hypotheticals here.

If we miss the playoffs after the hot start, that will be two straight years that we were in a playoff spot at Thanksgiving and missed in the end. Is it unfair to move on from Hynes and consider that he’s not getting us over this hump of making the playoffs?

They miss the playoffs he is gone. That would be three seasons and no playoffs. Also would be three seasons of having one of the worst possession teams in the league.

And this year after the trade I think the roster excuse is gone. To me this is like the ‘08 Devils with a top goal, top line and nothing else.

But most importantly, next year is critical. You have to be nearing top tier status next year or the clock on Hall’s free agency starts. If we get to that point then you could fall in the Thrashers trap of having the rebuild the rebuild. Can’t take a chance in the coach

Reactions: Bleedred

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I don’t get the criticism on the goal. Even if you think kinkaid should have that one, what about the sure goals he stopped? He was our best player by a wide margin that first period. It’s very difficult to stop them all so the main thing is to keep your team in the game. Mission accomplished on his part, bad goal or not. I just don’t think it matters much on how it beat him. Trailing by only a goal after a period like that, you take that all day long.

Reactions: Blackjack

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
How many years in a row do you allow a head coach to miss the playoffs before making a change? Peters in Carolina is the only current head coach who has survived 3 straight playoff misses and is still employed. Even the bad teams fire their coaches after that many playoff misses.

Tippett has been the only other one in recent years to survive that many years and he was basically running the team until the owners said enough of that, during the past offseason.
The team has been rebuilding. Look at our roster compare to others. No coach in the league would have made us a playoff team the last while. Even this season, our record is better than it should be.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think shero with his hockey acumen may have passed if he was given the opportunity to get Cory

The team and organization was in a completely different mindset in 2014. And Cory has nothing to do with tonight.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I don’t get the criticism on the goal. Even if you think kinkaid should have that one, what about the sure goals he stopped? He was our best player by a wide margin that first period. It’s very difficult to stop them all so the main thing is to keep your team in the game. Mission accomplished on his part, bad goal or not. I just don’t think it matters much on how it beat him. Trailing by only a goal after a period like that, you take that all day long.

You certainly love to use whataboutisms to deflect any criticism of the goaltending.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
They miss the playoffs he is gone. That would be three seasons and no playoffs. Also would be three seasons of having one of the worst possession teams in the league.

And this year after the trade I think the roster excuse is gone. To me this is like the ‘08 Devils with a top goal, top line and nothing else.

But most importantly, next year is critical. You have to be nearing top tier status next year or the clock on Hall’s free agency starts. If we get to that point then you could fall in the Thrashers trap of having the rebuild the rebuild. Can’t take a chance in the coach

Huh? What top goalie? Cory has not been a top goalie by any stretch of the imagination. And we have a very good 4th line as well as a solid 1st line. The lack of a good 2nd/3rd line is entirely on Hynes being unable to ice good lines. We have more than enough talent, but Hynes has no clue what he's doing.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Greene is the teams worst defenseman. By a large margin. Lovejoy has his problems, but he can at least clear the puck well even if it is a icing.

Moore has offense to make up for his defensive lapses. Butcher same thing. Severson is starting to get around to be an all around defenseman.

Santini is fine defensively and brings physicality. Vatanen brings offense and an okay defensive game.

Greene brings nothing now. Absolutely nothing, not even leadership (no clue why he has the C).

He's the Mike Cammalleri of the team this year. Was once good, but now dragging the team down and ****ing up when ever he is on the ice. And he fell off a cliff fast.

Agreed, he's finished in my opinion. Hopefully we find a way to get rid of him in the off-season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The team has been rebuilding. Look at our roster compare to others. No coach in the league would have made us a playoff team the last while. Even this season, our record is better than it should be.
And do you think our record is better than it should be because of coaching?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Huh? What top goalie? Cory has not been a top goalie by any stretch of the imagination. And we have a very good 4th line as well as a solid 1st line. The lack of a good 2nd/3rd line is entirely on Hynes being unable to ice good lines. We have more than enough talent, but Hynes has no clue what he's doing.
Cory has a .919 save percentage this season, that's in the top 10 (or on the border) of starting goalies in the league right now. Not counting the backups that have played very limited action.

He's playing much closer to his pre 16-17 form than his 16-17 form.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Fine. But with a much enhanced roster this year the team is still bottom of the league in shot differential at even strength.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Schneider has been a top 5 goalie in the league this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad