Management Jim Montgomery 2: Trouble in Paradise?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Jim Montgomery was and will be a fantastic college or Junior hockey coach.

He has an impressive record of success as an NHL assistant coach with St Louis, specializing in offense.

However, FWIW, I have concluded that at present, he is not an NHL head coach.

Not for this team, at any rate.

I wish him well and mean no malice, but the Sunny Jim experiment in Boston has come to an end, or will in short order.

Yes, it is early in the season.

Yes, it will take time for this edition of the Boston Bruins to mesh and become a team. That will be the case no matter who is behind the Boston bench.

But the results are clear.

The results that matter, which is to say the playoffs and going deep into them - speak for themselves.

All credit for advancement into the second round after several seasons of failure to do so under Bruce Cassidy.

Even so, this is not going to work out.

Jim Montgomery is not the head coach the Boston Bruins need.

I don't wish to be cruel or nonchalant, but get rid of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe Pasta doesn’t get 2 bad penalties in first 8 minutes of second period that lead to 2 PP goals

The first one 11 seconds in a flat footed reach of stick to hands

The second an offensive zone trip at the end of a long shift that kind controlled play - inexcusable penalty

In between those two a bad wiff and interference on Wotherspoon ~ bad play all around ~ another PP goal

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
How about a hockey trade, Jim Montgomery for John Tortorella?
A Lot of Philly fans would love that.

I think the real question is would they hire Quenneville? Or just go to interim Leach? I think Leach is the likely candidate. If they lose to the Leafs and Philly I think Monty's done.

Jorgolyte

Jun 9, 2024
I'm not in love with the guy but look at the forward corps he's rolling with every night. He did very well last year and probably deserves some time

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

He has an impressive record of success as an NHL assistant coach with St Louis, specializing in offense.

I wish him well and mean no malice, but the Sunny Jim experiment in Boston has come to an end, or will in short order.

Yes, it will take time for this edition of the Boston Bruins to mesh and become a team. That will be the case no matter who is behind the Boston bench.

The results that matter, which is to say the playoffs and going deep into them - speak for themselves.

All credit for advancement into the second round after several seasons of failure to do so under Bruce Cassidy.

If the results are what matter, then I'd aim higher: Cam and Donnie

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The chances of that happening this year are unlikely DQ. There is still enough talent to get a WC spot and ultimately save those two. JM has almost all the jeapordy, unless they DNQ.

Do people think 2 of NJ, WA, OTT, DET, BUFF or NYI are making PO ahead of Boston?
Sure NJ will but I say Boston is still the choice over remaining 5.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The Bruins problems are with their best players not performing

Pastrnak is in idle mode to much and his 2 lazy stick penalties one on offensive zone trip led to 2 early second period PPG

McAvoy is clearly excited to become a dad and his complete focus seems not there

Between child and getting hair I get it but he’s got to be better

Monty is all over the map with lines & pairings - he’s had more failed lines then Edison with electricity

I think they get beat tonight he’s gone

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not in love with the guy but look at the forward corps he's rolling with every night. He did very well last year and probably deserves some time
Yah big disagree

Marchand is still quick and around puck and getting opportunities

His decisions are to high risk and his style can best be described out-of-control

A 63-28-88 should be a high end line

Coyle & Frederic have long been an very good duo

They were very good the other night - they were skating and had several high scoring chances individually and setting up their RW. Their game didn’t get praise because of 63 & 88 four penalties all weak but deserved and flipped game and momentum

They aren’t washed up

The 4th line has been superb

I’d keep Kastelic & Beecher together on 4th

I’d keep Fredric & Coyle together on 3rd

I’d keep 88 & 63 together with Lindholm ~ those two are making the majority of mistakes so stick them together and assume they bear down

Right now they are the trick o’ treat line

Poitras has shown growth at center and for general effort and nice plays Zacha after Koepke has been their shift to shift best forward

Load it and leave it ~ mess around with the RW group

63-28-88
18-51
11-13
19-47

I’d try Koepke with lines 2 or 3 he seems very disciplined and high hockey iq

Smart move getting a young Tampa guy with some power game

If Marchand is going to play out of control, Pastrnak like he’s still releasing doves off some castle in Prague, and Mac like he’s just to excited or tired from first child then they are doomed

My other complaint is the D

Lohrei - Mac
Lindy - Carlo
Z- Peeke

Wortherspoon nice injury replacement although Sweezey is better ~ but brutal bad penalty (there’s a pattern here) that led to third goal

Bruins have talent - they are sloppy, unfocused, reckless and it’s their core

Last edited:

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
The results haven't been good, but Montgomery can't be blamed for the rampant stupid penalties each game. He hasn't gotten one slashing, tripping or cross checking penalty that I can remember. As a coach you can only remind your players so many times not to do those things and after that it is on them (Talking to you Pasta, Charlie, Brad and Z). Collectively this seems to be a stupid team. As Ron White has said "You can't fix stupid".
Ron White.jpg

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Pastrnak is in idle mode to much and his 2 lazy stick penalties one on offensive zone trip led to 2 early second period PPG

McAvoy is clearly excited to become a dad and his complete focus seems not there

Monty is all over the map with lines & pairings - he’s had more failed lines then Edison with electricity

Coyle and Carlo have been terrible since they reproduced. Maybe too many distractions and they can't handle living here I bet they wouldn't suck this much if they were playing in Calgary.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
Yah big disagree

Marchand is still quick and around puck and getting opportunities

His decisions are to high risk and his style can best be described out-of-control

A 63-28-88 should be a high end line

Coyle & Frederic have long been an very good duo

They were very good the other night - they were skating and had several high scoring chances individually and setting up their RW. Their game didn’t get praise because of 63 & 88 four penalties all weak but deserved and flipped game and momentum

They aren’t washed up

The 4th line has been superb

I’d keep Kastelic & Beecher together on 4th

I’d keep Fredric & Coyle together on 3rd

I’d keep 88 & 63 together with Lindholm ~ those two are making the majority of mistakes so stick them together and assume they bear down

Right now they are the trick o’ treat line

Poitras has shown growth at center and for general effort and nice plays Zacha after Koepke has been their shift to shift best forward

Load it and leave it ~ mess around with the RW group

63-28-88
18-51
11-13
19-47

I’d try Koepke with lines 2 or 3 he seems very disciplined and high hockey iq

Smart move getting a young Tampa guy with some power game

If Marchand is going to play out of control, Pastrnak like he’s still releasing doves off some castle in Prague, and Mac like he’s just to excited or tired from first child then they are doomed

My other complaint is the D

Lohrei - Mac
Lindy - Carlo
Z- Peeke

Wortherspoon nice injury replacement although Sweezey is better ~ but brutal bad penalty (there’s a pattern here) that led to third goal

Bruins have talent - they are sloppy, unfocused, reckless and it’s their core
IMO this post absolutely nails it. The leaders of this team have been a major problem. Id probably extend if to the other key veterans too. Coyle, Zacha, Geekie. All virtually useless thus far.

The stuff I do worry about that is reflective of coaching are the penalties and the constant needless icings. That’s effort and attention to detail. That’s very uncharacteristic of the Bruins in recent years.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I'm going to have to disagree with that statement.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland

I laugh at this but I see where you are coming from and agree. Off ice very comfortably comfortable (which is fine) but you’re getting paid for on ice performance. And 100% agree too top guys have looked lazy. Lazy plays….. lazy penalties. That for the veterans to fix should be a very easy thing to do.

I think Monty is given until game 20. It would look pretty bad to can him soon after hearing Sweeney say last month that they wanted to extend him. Coach has his issues but for me it’s more on the ice right now and if he had lost the room the effort vs the Avs and how they played in the 3rd vs the Stars wouldn’t have been close to good at all.

Maybe a game vs the Leafs tonight is exactly what the hockey doctors ordered for this team??!!??

Reactions: DKH

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Agreed.

Them and Jay Leach. He was married to Kathryn Tappen, right? Must be a broken man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad