Jim Matheson should have his voting privileges revoked

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I suppose the charitable explanation is that he was assuming the Oilers would win Game 7 and just didn't bother to update his ballot. But even then...
Voters are allowed to submit conditional ballots. They collect them with about 10 minutes left. You can have a ballot that says "McDavid, then Hyman, but if Florida wins, McDavid then Barkov"

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
When you’ve shown you cannot make an unbaised judgment you shouldn’t be voting for NHL awards.

That is pretty bad. I'm all for allowing heterodox voting, but listing 3 Oilers shows this isn't an off-base analysis, it's just bias.

Also as a secondary point the voters shouldn't have to vote before game 7. In a scenario where the Conn Smythe race is tight, it could end up badly.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Matheson should retire but in this case it's really not that unreasonable to have McDavid and the top goal scorer of the playoffs and the top point-producing dman of the playoffs on the ballot. It's not how I would have voted, but others had two Oilers. Since the outcome is unknown, voting Skinner, for example, at that juncture is also perfectly reasonable.

Florida's win was a quintessential team effort. Ekblad might have garnered a vote as well.

• Haha
Reactions: bdub24

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Matheson should retire but in this case it's really not that unreasonable to have McDavid and the top goal scorer of the playoffs and the top point-producing dman of the playoffs on the ballot. It's not how I would have voted, but others had two Oilers. Since the outcome is unknown, voting Skinner, for example, at that juncture is also perfectly reasonable.

Florida's win was a quintessential team effort. Ekblad might have garnered a vote as well.
exactly, not sure why bouchard is there but hyman was 4th in points and first in goals by a good margin

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Total homer vote... that's clear.

Having said that IF the Oilers had won there are "colorable" arguments for Bouchard (most assists for D ever), Hyman (most goals since Crosby). I mean the Hyman argument is a bit weaker, but both Bouch and Hyman had exceptional playoffs.

Having said that:
1) Oilers didn't win, so you gotta have Panthers in there, what are you doing old man!
2) Every Oiler fan would be happy to see Matheson's credentials revoked...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad