Value of: Jettisoning Darnell Nurse

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This post doesn't make sense to me, on one hand you seem to be defending him but you also admit to him being overpaid by 4M+ a season?

Jacob Slavin, 10x better than this guy, just signed for 8 years 6.5M and signed the deal 3 years after, only 1 year older than Nurse.

It's an absolutely horrendous contract that might prevent Oilers from getting over the hump. It won't cost them McDrai, it could cost them adding one or two high end compliemntary pieces that could get them over.
Everyone on this board thought Slavin signed for too little, again. If you look at the most team friendly deal, you have to look at the most player friendly one as well. In doing that, if Joel Edmundson is 3.85Mm for 4 more years, Nurse is worth 9 easily

The real comparables should be Skjei and Montour at around 7M. That is the level of player that Nurse is.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Everyone on this board thought Slavin signed for too little, again. If you look at the most team friendly deal, you have to look at the most player friendly one as well. In doing that, if Joel Edmundson is 3.85Mm for 4 more years, Nurse is worth 9 easily

The real comparables should be Skjei and Montour at around 7M. That is the level of player that Nurse is.
The Edmundson deal is awful, but I'd still take him at his cap hit over Nurse at his every day of the week

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
giphy.webp
This.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
You give him away at 50% just to get away from having to depend on a liability with little upside.

You can find much better players at $4.625m. Artem Zub, Rasmus Andersson, Nicklas Jensen, Dylan Demelo, Brandon Carlo, etc.

• Wow

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You give him away at 50% just to get away from having to depend on a liability with little upside.

You can find much better players at $4.625m. Artem Zub, Rasmus Andersson, Nicklas Jensen, Dylan Demelo, Brandon Carlo, etc.
And then what are they giving up to land a Carlo or Zub?

Reactions: voxel

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His game stabilized a lot more when they moved Ceci away from him. Those two do OK with out each but for whatever reason just bring out the worst in each other together. From about the mid point of the Dallas series they stopped playing them together so much and both of their metrics improved.

In the seven game Finals, Nurse was +3 with 2 goals and 1 assist which isn't terrible.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
His game stabilized a lot more when they moved Ceci away from him. Those two do OK with out each but for whatever reason just bring out the worst in each other together. From about the mid point of the Dallas series they stopped playing them together so much and both of their metrics improved.

In the seven game Finals, Nurse was +3 with 2 goals and 1 assist which isn't terrible.
It's alright.. you aren't convincing anyone so just let em have their fun bashing this player.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's alright.. you aren't convincing anyone so just let em have their fun bashing this player.

He deserves some bashing, you set yourself up for it if you want that much salary and don't produce like a star, but I was just pointing out that away from Ceci his game isn't *that* bad. The Oilers just have to realize those two just don't mix.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
To visualize this for EDM :

Hopkins - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Bourgault
(Henrique/Foegele) - Copp - Holloway
(UFA) - (UFA) - Ryan
13F = Lavoie
14F = Caggiula

Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Broberg
(UFA) - Holl ---> dump ---> (UFA)
7D = Chiarot

Skinner
Rodrigue / Campbell

You can also immediately trade Holl (50% retained) to Anaheim for a 7th round pick or future considerations. Replace him with a 3rd pairing cheap UFA. Chiarot expires in 2026. Holl or the 50% retention on Holl expires in 2026. Copp expires in 2027. This does solve Edmonton's cap problems related to overpaying Nurse, but EDM has to wait 2 years to get the majority of the cap relief, and 3 years to get all of it. They can only get $1.7m cap relief (minus the cost of a league minimum replacement) right away by dumping Holl with full retention, which isn't much, but hey, it's something.
This is far worse TF

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Yikes....

ffsIBK1.png

Sounds and looks insane but could almost make the argument they should buy him out for those first 2 years savings and go all in, that might be their cup window anyway honestly.
That contract also stretches over McDavid and Draisaitls prime years.
I think the only way is to deal him.
Otherwisw he will be a classical LTIR case.

Oh.. that fingertoe you said is sore is...uh... unfortunally prohibitating you for skating. We want you to fully heal up, so Darnell, my...eh... advice is to IR you this year and then we will... uh..see. maybe you have to...uh retire?

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I've talked with some affiliates of NHL management/scouting teams. I'm not claiming any fancy insider information but just sitting by them with some mutual friends type things, probably have to have our mutual friend remind them of my name when we occasionally get together but otherwise friendly enough people with me.

And boy oh boy do they hate Nurse's contract.

These are the same people who (I would argue) overvalued and overloved their big strong defenseman of years past, but even Nurse being 6'4'' doesn't persuade them at all. The way they talk about his compete level and low IQ play you would think he was an ECHLer and how they talk about his contract you would think he makes 30 million a year. They give him the classic case of a player not being as good as the sum of his parts, all the tools without the toolbox. I don't think they necessarily said anything we don't already know, but if the rest of the league shared their opinion then he might be far more of an albatross then we might even think. Huberdeau might as well be on a league minimum ELC contract given how they compared him and his contract to Nurse lol.

For what it's worth the only actual "inside information" I have ever had from this circle of people was Fleury's coming out of retirement a month before it became public but they had no issue shitting on Nurse lol.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Yikes....

ffsIBK1.png

Sounds and looks insane but could almost make the argument they should buy him out for those first 2 years savings and go all in, that might be their cup window anyway honestly.
the first two arent bad but the following four will absolutely cripple a contender. Nurse will likely retire an Oiler, this buyout hit is so much worse than I thought

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Not really that weird? Nothing he said was wrong, maybe Edmonton would've had a parade a few week ago if Nurse wasn't on the team.
There's a million reasons why Edmonton didn't win the cup and Nurse was just one of 'em.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not really that weird? Nothing he said was wrong, maybe Edmonton would've had a parade a few week ago if Nurse wasn't on the team.
Nurse played well in the finals and contributed a lot in the games the Oilers won. If he was replaced with the same caliber player at less salary and that allowed us to have another upgrade in one of our other spots, sure, but Darnell Nurse didn't prevent the Oilers from winning the cup. His most notable mistakes came earlier in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad