Value of: Jettisoning Darnell Nurse

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You could probably move him, the problem would be more his NTC/NMC. Like a Utah would probably take him, it's just he wouldn't waive to go there. Cap is going to be near 100 million in a couple of years, 9 million is not going to be what it's been in the COVID freeze years.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes... and then we give up a good defenseman and have to have all this dead cap too? It's not happening

I'd rather have the dead cap of his overpayment rather than the dead cap of his retention.

Get him a new partner. Also, it's not Stecher. This is why I don't give Jackson an A+. We are great at forward but it looks like another season of Nurse-Ceci
Agreed. The only way Nurse could be traded (from a team perspective) is if they found a guy in a similar situation - who was a bit overpaid, probably could use a shake up and fresh start on another team. The unfortunate part is that these guys all seem to have NTC's now, so it isn't really possible. In some ways, Nurse for Trouba makes some sense for both sides, but it's impossible, as neither guy would waive that NTC - especially Trouba, there's no way he's coming to Edmonton to play.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Agreed. The only way Nurse could be traded (from a team perspective) is if they found a guy in a similar situation - who was a bit overpaid, probably could use a shake up and fresh start on another team. The unfortunate part is that these guys all seem to have NTC's now, so it isn't really possible. In some ways, Nurse for Trouba makes some sense for both sides, but it's impossible, as neither guy would waive that NTC - especially Trouba, there's no way he's coming to Edmonton to play.
Nurse + Holloway for Laine once Holland becomes their GM.

Book it!

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I dont know -- you look at some of the contracts that just came out for Skjei, and Montour-- I think Nurse's contract is now within shouting distance of his actual value.

Like I think I'd rather have Nurse then Skjei and/or Montour.

That said his pure physical talent is not enough to be a top pair defender and his mental game is too inconsistent. But he did play some decent playoff hockey and is a competitor--just still inconsistent.

I think they need to consider cap moves for Drai and McD extensions but if they trade Nurse they will instantly need a top 4 D.

Someone had posted Nurse for Trouba or somehow getting Parayko in a 3 way which makes some sense. But shockingly I may be of the opinion they should keep him.
Montour and Skjei are solid secondary options on a top pair, or #3's at worst and paid appropriately. Nurse makes more than them and is a #4 at best. I wouldn't even take Nurse over them at even money

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I was about to say that Nurse isn’t that bad and still has some upside, then I realized he’s 29 and probable to decline if anything.

I guess he’s one of those guys that peaked young and was paid for potential, without ever fully following through. That said, Nurse is probably worth something like 6mil a year or even 5mil a year. So Edmonton either has to either take back a cap dump or retain to get anything resembling value.

I’d probably just keep him or trade him for another player who could use a change of scenery. Laine for Nurse would be a fun trade in NHL 25.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Montour and Skjei are solid secondary options on a top pair, or #3's at worst and paid appropriately. Nurse makes more than them and is a #4 at best. I wouldn't even take Nurse over them at even money
The only major difference between a #3 and #4 is the ability to run that second pair. That's basically it. Nurse has shown that he can be the #3 when he isn't paired with a #5/6. His pair struggled a lot last year, and that was certainly partially on him, but they need to find him a new partner - the ones we've had for him aren't working properly. The only difference between a Montour/Skjei and Nurse, is playing style.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
So many dumb takes ITT. He's a very solid 2nd pairing guy who any GM would take at 5m. He's just grossly overpaid. Those offers at 50% with the oilers adding value are beyond ridiculous.

Probably. I think a lot of people look at the performance and the salary, and forget that he mostly plays with Cody Ceci. If he was a UFA this offseason he'd probably get a long term deal with an AAV in the 5-6 mil range.

But he's still a 29 year old D with term and a NMC and complete to mostly complete trade protection. The issue is that generally teams with cap space this time of year are in a position where they put less value in what Nurse provides right now AND aren't the teams Nurse would want to leave a cup finalist for. If Edmonton wants to move Nurse, they need to either convince Nurse to go to a team who can take his cap (who would need future pieces needs to entice a team that

Edmonton would frankly be better off paying to dump Ceci (who only has a year left and no trade protection) and signing one of the leftover RD UFAs.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You could probably move him, the problem would be more his NTC/NMC. Like a Utah would probably take him, it's just he wouldn't waive to go there. Cap is going to be near 100 million in a couple of years, 9 million is not going to be what it's been in the COVID freeze years.

I doubt that. Hes a pylon and paid way too much money.

Bond

May 10, 2012
You could probably move him, the problem would be more his NTC/NMC. Like an Utah would probably take him, it's just he wouldn't waive to go there. Cap is going to be near 100 million in a couple of years, 9 million is not going to be what it's been in the COVID freeze years.
Don’t think any team touches his contract. He cost the Oilers a few games in the playoffs

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So... Nurse has shown he can run a middle pair when he's with someone better than him? Lmfao
No, he's shown he can run a middle pair when he isn't playing with fringe NHL'ers or with Cody Ceci - who I think is overmatched in that role and Nurse has to cover for him. I don't think he needs someone "better" than him to anchor that pair - but he does need someone better than who he has had to partner with.

I doubt that. Hes a pylon and paid way too much money.
Nurse is the furthest thing from a pylon. Pylon's are slow (stationary). Nurse isn't slow by any means, he's a great skater. But he puts himself out of position a lot.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Let's go with the ever so common, four way trade:

To Edmonton:
Erik Karlsson ($1M retained)
Ryan Graves

To Pittsburgh:
Darnell Nurse
Cody Ceci
Matvei Petrov

To Ottawa:
Brett Kulak

Fourth team with Cap Space (like Columbus):
2026 3rd Round Pick (Florida's from Ottawa)
Retaining $1M on Karlsson

Rationale:
For Pitts:
- Cap relief for the next 3 years and getting out Graves' contract
- Hope that Nurse can play better with a solid, puck moving partner like Letang
- Ceci to play in the bottom six and possibly dealt at the deadline if they are not in the playoffs

Nurse-Letang
Pettersson-Aho
Grzelyck-Ceci

For the Oilers:
- RD for Top 4
- clears up the LD log jam, allowing for Broberg to move back to his natural side
- Cap space after the next 3 seasons

Ekholm-Karlsson
Broberg-Bouchard
Graves-Stecher

For the Sens:
- Based on another thread, there was interest in Kulak
- Gives them a solid vet for their third pairing for one of their many 3rd round picks

Fourth team:
- $1M cap space over the next three years for a third round pick

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

A fair take -- which I shared maybe at one point. But they've been perennial contenders with him.

I guess it depends what the options are I just think treating him as a straight cap dump is not the way to go anymore if they will need to pay 7 million for someone with nurse like attributes (speed, leadership, competitiveness, off ice contributions).

I'd just assume best case scenario is saving a couple million and getting someone slower who makes less glaring mistakes.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
So many dumb takes ITT. He's a very solid 2nd pairing guy who any GM would take at 5m. He's just grossly overpaid. Those offers at 50% with the oilers adding value are beyond ridiculous.

This post doesn't make sense to me, on one hand you seem to be defending him but you also admit to him being overpaid by 4M+ a season?

Jacob Slavin, 10x better than this guy, just signed for 8 years 6.5M and signed the deal 3 years after, only 1 year older than Nurse.

It's an absolutely horrendous contract that might prevent Oilers from getting over the hump. It won't cost them McDrai, it could cost them adding one or two high end compliemntary pieces that could get them over.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don’t think any team touches his contract. He cost the Oilers a few games in the playoffs

There's going to be lots of teams like $20 million below the cap floor this year and moving forward too, if the Oilers take back like a $3-$4 million dollar player, then it's effective getting Nurse for $5-$6 million.

Regarding the length of the contract the deal is front loaded, like the last 3 years of the deal are $7 mill or so I believe.

I don't think the Oilers actually have much interest in dealing him. To find another top 4 D would be a pain in the ass and he's very close to McDavid. It's mainly he and Ceci together just don't mix for whatever reason, the Oilers just need to accept that. Separately they do a lot better apart.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Bond

May 10, 2012
There's going to be lots of teams like $20 million below the cap floor this year and moving forward too, if the Oilers take back like a $3-$4 million dollar player, then it's effective getting Nurse for $5-$6 million.

Regarding the length of the contract the deal is front loaded, like the last 3 years of the deal are $7 mill or so I believe.

I don't think the Oilers actually have much interest in dealing him. To find another top 4 D would be a pain in the ass and he's very close to McDavid. It's mainly he and Ceci together just don't mix for whatever reason, the Oilers just need to accept that. Separately they do a lot better apart.
Would have to be a 4 million dollar contract with the guy playing like a million dollar contract with the same term.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Let's go with the ever so common, four way trade:

To Edmonton:
Erik Karlsson ($1M retained)
Ryan Graves

To Pittsburgh:
Darnell Nurse
Cody Ceci
Matvei Petrov

To Ottawa:
Brett Kulak

Fourth team with Cap Space (like Columbus):
2026 3rd Round Pick (Florida's from Ottawa)
Retaining $1M on Karlsson

Rationale:
For Pitts:
- Cap relief for the next 3 years and getting out Graves' contract
- Hope that Nurse can play better with a solid, puck moving partner like Letang
- Ceci to play in the bottom six and possibly dealt at the deadline if they are not in the playoffs

Nurse-Letang
Pettersson-Aho
Grzelyck-Ceci

For the Oilers:
- RD for Top 4
- clears up the LD log jam, allowing for Broberg to move back to his natural side
- Cap space after the next 3 seasons

Ekholm-Karlsson
Broberg-Bouchard
Graves-Stecher

For the Sens:
- Based on another thread, there was interest in Kulak
- Gives them a solid vet for their third pairing for one of their many 3rd round picks

Fourth team:
- $1M cap space over the next three years for a third round pick

Because four-ways, as in life, are just so common?

:D

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
We meet in the middle. Nurse at 7.5M for Morgan Rielly. Won't trade Marner. Let's trade the other core player to shake things up
id do the trade to create cap space other then that I wouldn’t move Rielly for Nurse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad