Prospect Info: Jett Luchanko Thread: a new thread about Jett Luchanko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No, he doesn't. He produces offense like a typical 3C, but he's an top defense center, with Luchanko type speed he'd be top 5 Selke every year. Speed is the one thing Cates lacks.

Interesting that they have him playing center with Foerster and Brink while Laughton is the 4LW.
They've been doing that for almost a week in practice.

In no universe does he produce offense at a 3C level. He is a 4th liner offensively and not even a particularly gifted one

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
240th forward, i.e, the median 3rd line forward, has 23-24 ES points, Cates had 28 at center two years ago.
And it's not like he was playing with talented forwards.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
240th forward, i.e, the median 3rd line forward, has 23-24 ES points, Cates had 28 at center two years ago.
And it's not like he was playing with talented forwards.
I don’t know what Cates is. On the US national teams where he was a member, he never flashed top six scoring and was relegated to bottom six and PK roles. He never complained about that though there were times when did make good offensive plays. One could also say that his coaches gave him defensive roles because others couldn’t do that as well as him. Maybe he has enough skill to be a 3C instead of a 4C. What would help him would be for the coaches to make up their mind and decide whether he is a C or a wing and go from there. Right now he’s being molded into being a mess with no line or position.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
2022-23:

Cates:
TK 409
Farabee 394
Tippett 261
Laughton 245
Hayes 223
Allison 184
MacEwen 166
JVR 104

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don’t know what Cates is. On the US national teams where he was a member, he never flashed top six scoring and was relegated to bottom six and PK roles. He never complained about that though there were times when did make good offensive plays. One could also say that his coaches gave him defensive roles because others couldn’t do that as well as him. Maybe he has enough skill to be a 3C instead of a 4C. What would help him would be for the coaches to make up their mind and decide whether he is a C or a wing and go from there. Right now he’s being molded into being a mess with no line or position.
I think he's smart enough to handle both roles.
Right now in camp he's been centering Foerster and Brink.
Next season, if Luchanko sticks, he'll probably move back to LW.

Cates is underrated around here, he's what they pretend Laughton is.
Buffalo wanted him over Laughton this summer.

Really smart, lacks speed but he's not slow, slightly below average, lacks size but isn't small.
Has some offensive skill, but nothing special.
Finished strong his rookie season, dinged the first half last year then shut down, finished strong when he returned at LW.

What he does is make plays through anticipation, he's the perfect "3rd wheel LW" on a scoring line, or the center on a 3rd line matched up against a 1st line (his rookie season). On a scoring line, like Foerster, he'll do the dirty work and CYA for his linemates, as a center he'll be a defensive mainstay.

Exactly the kind of guy you want as your 7th or 8th forward on a playoff team.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I think he's smart enough to handle both roles.
Right now in camp he's been centering Foerster and Brink.
Next season, if Luchanko sticks, he'll probably move back to LW.

Cates is underrated around here, he's what they pretend Laughton is.
Buffalo wanted him over Laughton this summer.

Really smart, lacks speed but he's not slow, slightly below average, lacks size but isn't small.
Has some offensive skill, but nothing special.
Finished strong his rookie season, dinged the first half last year then shut down, finished strong when he returned at LW.

What he does is make plays through anticipation, he's the perfect "3rd wheel LW" on a scoring line, or the center on a 3rd line matched up against a 1st line (his rookie season). On a scoring line, like Foerster, he'll do the dirty work and CYA for his linemates, as a center he'll be a defensive mainstay.

Exactly the kind of guy you want as your 7th or 8th forward on a playoff team.
Going to be interesting what the sign Cates for.

Didnt see in that piece said they wanted Cates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad