Post-Game Talk: Jets Smash Preds 6-2

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yes, I think the general noise of the fans through various outlets can influence a team over time.

I just don’t think Paul Maurice is trolling through dozens of pages between playoff games to say, “Yeah, maybe I should have played Perreault”. :)

Your right--Maurice is to busy to look at these threads, but I'd bet Chevy, and Chipman have read thru numerous threads on here-- just my opinion though. I know if I owned the team, I'd want to get feedback from the fan base, and keep my finger on the pulse.

Do you not think Chipman, Chevy and Maurice have friends that are on HF boards --and mention some of the comments to them ?? --I do.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Partly goalies. Partly injuries. Partly very poor specialty teams play, both PP and PK. Partly depth (think of the names that were on the team last year, but not this year). All of these things were relevant.

Most mostly, it was experience. Even Wayne Gretzky wasn't ready to be "WAYNE GRETZKY!!!" until suddenly...he was. Flat out, they weren't ready yet, last year. And in fairness to management and coaching, they were all but telling us that to our faces, all year long. People who know and understand how these things work saw it, which was why there was such cause for optimism among the smart followers, and such impatience, frustration, and anger among the followers who didn't get it. A lot of people mocked the "it's a process" talk, without understanding that it is, indeed, a process - a process that is now coming to fruition.

I'm a systems guy - it's my education, it's my occupation. It's gratifying beyond words when a plan is made, followed, and comes together successfully. If there are any fans from other cities who are cheering for the Jets, it is this quality that should be most admired.
I really like this post and couldn't agree more. My occupation also requires long term planing with numerous incremental steps towards the final goal, often taking years to put everything into place. I'v always been a big fan of Chevy and bought into what we was doing early. More recently I've become more and more of a Maurice fan as this team starts to mature. We can debate over and over the in game X & O decisions. Let's just say he is a mid level coach in this area.

IMO where he excels and was vitally important to this young team, is relationship building. He has every vet 100% on side, with Wheeler even calling him the best coach he has ever played for. But bringing in each rookie, one after another and give them such important roles early and then guiding a steep learning curve speaks volumes. No old school coach I've seen has his tolerance for young player mistakes, but this helped us get where we are now. Also his ability to individualize every player relationship is impressive IMO. Then having the vets embrace and accept each and every rookie from day 1 and actively work to incorporate them into the team culture demonstrates the strength of the internal leadership. Each prospect represents, lost opportunity or even a job for a veteran player. I get glue players. It is not an easy task to embrace and mentor someone who is taking your job. And do it all with a smile on your face and an acceptance of any roll.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Don't know why the media is saying the Jets finally iced a fully healthy lineup, first of all many of the players on both teams are playing hurt it's the playoffs, and second they must be forgetting about Kulikov who makes Myers better and make the d on a whole even better.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Presidents Cup,Presidents Trophy. Apparently when I’m half asleep I believe they’re the same thing.

Simply a sarcastic comment on how many dozens of times we have been subjected to the statement by the broadcasters that Nashville had won the Presidents Trophy.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Watching the second period of the game last night, when the Jets were in the middle of their scoring binge, something occurred to me:

The way they cycle the puck around, the way they rotate position while they're doing it...they way they play the game when they're "on"...reminds me of nothing so much as a bigger, faster Hull-Hedberg-Nilsson style of Jets.

When this style of play is clicking, it's virtually impossible to beat, it's the most entertaining style of hockey there is on the planet, and it's immensely gratifying. As an old fan who remembers those days, I can't even describe how happy this makes me.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Apart from all the cross checking the Predators defence seem to get away with, I think for the first time in a long time the refs favoured us last night, they let a lot of stuff go and frankly it made the game better..........................well of course it did we won the game ;)

I like the fact that Scheifele was surprised he didn't earn 2mins in the sin-bin last night - I think he thought he was heading off for sure at one point, and seemed gobsmacked he wasn't.

As long as it's not dangerous, I like seeing the refs let things go, for both teams. Makes for a better flowing game.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

Your right--Maurice is to busy to look at these threads, but I'd bet Chevy, and Chipman have read thru numerous threads on here-- just my opinion though. I know if I owned the team, I'd want to get feedback from the fan base, and keep my finger on the pulse.

Do you not think Chipman, Chevy and Maurice have friends that are on HF boards --and mention some of the comments to them ?? --I do.

If I saw a bunch of comments (particularly negative ones) on a web forum about something a friend of mine was doing, I don't know if I'd be bringing it up with him. If he asked for my input, I'd give him my own opinion but I certainly wouldn't be saying "well the guys on my favorite forum think you're an idiot and should do this and that..."

I expect they are all familiar with this forum, and I imagine they peruse it once in a while. I also think if there are well-argumented ideas presented in an intelligent manner that they probably give them consideration. I mean that's what smart people do - they remain open to new information. Beyond that though, I don't think there's any specific influence coming from here. They certainly don't ever go "hmmm, this is a tricky one! Wonder what HFboards is thinking on the subject?"

Reactions: GNP

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Simply a sarcastic comment on how many dozens of times we have been subjected to the statement by the broadcasters that Nashville had won the Presidents Trophy.

ah ok, gotcha. I thought maybe you were suggesting that we need to be more scared of the Pred's than we are due to the fact that they won the PCT...

Reactions: castle

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
ah ok, gotcha. I thought maybe you were suggesting that we need to be more scared of the Pred's than we are due to the fact that they won the PCT...

Ah. I totally see how you could have read it that way. Absolutely not scared of Nashville. I think we have the most talented team in the league and it shows in spurts. If we ever get the top 3 lines going all at once it could be a night to remember!

Reactions: GNP

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Laine could learn a thing from Buff about controlling a bouncing puck. Not sure which Conner goal it was, but Buff had a bouncer coming out to him near the blue line. He went down on one knee using his body and glove to keep the bouncer from getting by him, held it in, moved it up to Wheels who found Conner and it was in the back of the net. When we had that PPlay in the second and the bouncer is coming out to 29, he needs to know that there is a 50% chance that a bouncer will get past you if you just play it with your stick. Get down and corral it - he had the time and space. Of course it got past him and they got the shorty before the 2nd ended.

Just a little detail that I wanted to point out in what was a great win for our boys.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Ok good Sunday morning laugh , had friends in from Calgary and while watching the game i had to be a smartass and say , imagine if you guys had a good team like this in Calgary ? Response i got , ya well we got the Stampeders ...... I spit my drink out laughing because they were serious . :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

How are those grey cup choke jobs feeling these days?

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Thing I really enjoyed , particularly after Game 4, was watching Nashville panic as they fell further and further behind.
Still possibly two games to go so don't want to get ahead of myself again but I don't think Nashville had prepared at all for the Jets and still can't handle it.
Important to keep in mind game 4 was a 1-goal game despite the Nashville D clinic.
Hellebuyck and defence shut it down in the third. Brilliant offence (to be expected, getting better each game) and defence. Best of Game 1 and 3 - all at a critical road game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad