Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do you recall what age Tanev was when he joined the team?

I believe he was 24. I'm not sure if Tanev actually improved much. I think it was more a matter of adapting his skills to that tenacious forechecking role. I suppose Ford might be able to do that too. His small size would be a factor there. Brendan Gallagher is a similar size and managed to play that pest role for several years before cumulative injuries slowed him down. He had shown pretty high skill levels before the NHL though.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I believe he was 24. I'm not sure if Tanev actually improved much. I think it was more a matter of adapting his skills to that tenacious forechecking role. I suppose Ford might be able to do that too. His small size would be a factor there. Brendan Gallagher is a similar size and managed to play that pest role for several years before cumulative injuries slowed him down. He had shown pretty high skill levels before the NHL though.
Small tenacious pests are underrated. Every team should have one.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seems like a goal scorer, uses frame well too. All the other prospects have their own skillsets but a goal scorer to me has the highest ceiling.

Sure, goal scoring is what it is all about. But it is not like McG and Lambo don't also score a few goals. They also set up teammates to score and maybe even play a little D.

Barlow looks like being an elite goal scorer. I read that his skating is less then great and he is not a particularly good playmaker. Not sure about his 2 way play. He is a leader, as evidenced by him captaining his team for the last 2 years.

He is behind several other prospects right now, IMO. But he might have the potential to rise above all of them eventually.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
From everything I've read (I don't watch any of these kids play), Rutger lacks in skating, as well and was projected more as a really good middle six, whereas Colby is a more physical version of Laine.

Things have probably changed some over this past season, though.

edit - Barlow can PK and The Athlectic listed him as a strong skater

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
ASASASASA.png

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Could have been a quick Rutger sign and announcement next day (Friday). Wonder what the delay is?

The Jets may not be entertaining him joining the team right now - sign and head to the moose for the playoffs. He might not be wanting that.

Hopefully something gets announced soon.

Agree with the Lebrun Miami Cleveland comment. Rutger hype might be getting to his head. He’s not that good.

Starting to think he’ll be back in college next year.

Hmmmm. I’m not so sure they will make that announcement on a game day - let alone a game day where the jets need one point at home to clinch home ice.

Hope I’m wrong if we DON’T hear anything tomorrow though.

I wonder if the depth at forward and prospect and jets preference to develop slowly is being scrutinized in the mcgroarty camp. Hope I’m wrong there too!

If this was March - it’s common to take a week etc to sign the ELC once eliminated from college hockey. This late in the season - it’s usually done next day or 2 days after. The delay is unexpected. It will be April 15th tomorrow.

Nailed it! lol.

Sigh, so sad.

If that is his attitude I’m glad he’s leaving.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Jets move up 7 spots to 16th in Wheeler's Prospect Pool Rankings this year: Wheeler’s 2021 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 16 Winnipeg Jets

Here's a comparison of our last prospect poll vs. Wheeler's rankings.

RankHFJetsWheeler
1PerfettiPerfetti
2HeinolaHeinola
3SambergSamberg
4HarkinsGustafsson
5VesalainenBerdin
6GustafssonVesalainen
7ChisholmChisholm
8BerdinJohannesson
9NikuGawanke
10GawankeTorgersson
11NikkanenStanley
12TorgerssonNikkanen
13KovacevicSmith
14HolmHolm
15StanleyLundmark
16SmithN/A
17JohannessonN/A
18LundmarkN/A
19BlaisdellN/A
20LuotuN/A
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Many are close. The biggest disagreement is on Johannesson (us: 17, Wheeler: 8) - 18 year old, 5'9" defenseman from Sweden who hasn't played this year. He didn't consider Harkins and Niku prospects I reckon.
Sorry for quoting this post but it's a good synopsis of how improved the Jets are in terms of prospects in 3 years, and the failures the Jets have had in development, with only 4 players in that prospect list having graduated in the past 3 seasons: Perfetti, Samberg, Gustasson and Stanley.

If I were rating this year's prospect pool it would be

1. Lambert (AHL, 2022 Rd. 1)
2. Mc Groarty (NCAA, 2022 Rd 1)
3. Barlow (OHL, 2023 Rd 1)
4. Heinola (NHL/AHL,2020 Rd 1)
5. Salomonsson (AHL, 2022 Rd 2)
6. Chibrikov (AHL, 2021 Rd 2)
7. Frej (Swe. Jr, 2024 Rd 2)
8. Lucius (AHL, 2021 Rd 1)
9. Milic (AHL, 2023 Rd 5)
10. Lundmark (AHL, 2020 Rd 2)
11. Ford (AHL, Undrafted)
12. Julien (OHL/AHL, 2023 Rd 5)
13. He (OHL, 2024 Rd 4)
Then some order of the AHL prospects and recent picks.

I think as a whole the Jets have better prospects to work with than they did 3 years ago. And our HF voters have shown a bias for offensive defensemen in their voting.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
BTW does anyone find it absolutely hilarious in a sad way at two years ago on draft day Lambert was catching strays (esp by the Finnish contingent and the media in general) for having "character issues" while McGroarty was being anointed as the next captain? Lambert has since then spend a chunk of season in the AHL, then played in the WHL, then spent an entire season in the AHL producing good results everywhere being ever the good soldier. How the turn tables... shows how little scouts, media, fans know when certain players are hyped for "character" as 17-18 year olds.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
BTW does anyone find it absolutely hilarious in a sad way at two years ago on draft day Lambert was catching strays (esp by the Finnish contingent and the media in general) for having "character issues" while McGroarty was being anointed as the next captain? Lambert has since then spend a chunk of season in the AHL, then played in the WHL, then spent an entire season in the AHL producing good results everywhere being ever the good soldier. How the turn tables... shows how little scouts, media, fans know when certain players are hyped for "character" as 17-18 year olds.
Sometimes they get bad advise and not good people ( meaning they want what is best for themselve not for the kid) around them.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad