OT: Jets Lounge: Winds of Winter (no Star Wars spoilers!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Hey guys, let's see what:

1. book you're reading

2. album you're listening to

3. game you're playing

Just finished star wars rogue one lead in book. Cant remember name of the top of my head. It was ok not great. First half was pretty dull, 2nd half was good. Problem was it didnt feel like its own story but rather felt like backstory for Rogue 1. So i wont judge it fully until i see Rogue 1.

No particular album. Ive lost alot of my interest in music. I just normally put on siriusxm octane or spotify with that type of music.

Im currently rotating between a few games. Have Civ VI but havent had time to sit down and really get into a game yet. Working on an XCOM2 game mostly. Love love love that game but crashing issues keep pissing me off. Intermittently working on a replay of KOTOR and Mass Effect series. I will focus on a complete Mass Effect series playthrough shortly before andromeda comes out. Cant wait for Andromeda my most anticipated game in years. Lastly im working on an ehm save where i used 98-99 mod with jets (thrashers). My team 02-03 team is
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Naslund
Fedotenko - Vyborny - Anson Carter
Jason Blake - Cajanek - Ekman
Leclerc - Halpern - Donovan
Laperierre

Visnovsky - Brisebois
Rafalski - Berard
Lydman - Zidlicky
Kenny Johnsson - Streit

Luongo
Bryzgalov

I am in first by a mile in eadt at 02-03 trade deadline. Colorado is ahead of me for presidents trophy. Cajanek is maybe the only weakness by ratings but he had a 3rd in league 90 point rookie year 3 years ago and has had 65 and 63 point years last two.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Any car guys on here? If so, what are you rolling on? What kind of mods past and future you have planned?

'13 Mustang GT premium, grabber blue with a 6 speed manual, 3.55 gears and Recarro's (from the factory).

Aftermarket mods: Ford Racing Cobra Jet intake manifold, Ford Racing Cobra Jet twin 65mm throttle body, COMP cams stage 3 cams, JLT cold air intake, LTH long tube headers, Pypes off road cat delete 3" x pipe, Flowmasters, a John Lund tune, full suspension upgrades, 20" Niche Verona wheels and a few subtle cosmetic mods. Horsepower is in and around 570 at the crank (490 wheel). I'm hoping for low 11's in the quarter mile this year. Ideally, I would like to be in the 10's N/A within the next 2 years.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Book: John Dies at the End. It's kind of Lovecraftian horror with humor. Fun read.
Album: The Best of Ray Charles. Heard "What'd I Say" playing at a restaurant the other night and it reminded me how good this stuff is.
Video Game: NHL 16 on the XB1 still. My kids usually get me the new year version for Xmas.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That's great, but it's also anecdotal. I drove for far more than 10 years trouble free on all-seasons before switching to winter tires, and will never, ever go back. The safety margin between the two is huge.

"All-seasons" are a misnomer. The rubber compound and tread pattern of true winter tires are simply superior for the intended conditions, and it's not an arguable thing.

I have to say, if it weren't for my hopefully imminent relo to Florida, I'd definitely be getting steelies and winter tires for the Subie.

After the plowing and sand are on the roads I'm golden, but even with AWD, when snow accumulates it gets sketchy. A real waste of the car's talents to be running summer performance slanted all seasons.

Drifting is fun, but not when a bus is stopped in front of you :laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

1. book you're reading

3. game you're playing

1. Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman - a real page turner so far (I'm about halfway through). It's set in France during the plague (1300s), and is a bit of a dialogue on people's perspective about God and the Devil (the idea that God essentially left the people of the world to fend for themselves against the Black Death). Very interesting.

2. If I Was by The Staves - I've been on a major Bon Iver kick lately, and The Staves were a part of his backing band recently. 3 Watford sisters with incredible harmonies.

3. The Last Guardian - finally! Been waiting for this for how long? Just like Shadow of the Colossus, the controls and camera take a bit of getting used to, but the world is amazing, and Trico becomes a good pal very quickly.

What about you?

1. I don't read books. I know, I'm the worst :)

2. I'm weird when it comes to music. I don't really pop in an album per se and listen to it over and over. I just like music across all genres. If something speaks to me, I'll add it to my 'new music' playlist. There are a few albums that are older I will pop in and listen to: Roger Waters "Radio KAOS", K-Os Atlantis, and Billy Talent II amongst them.

3. Getting back into GTAV onine as, after what 2 years on XBONE it FINALLY allows me and my friends to play together with some stability. Started playing The Division online again after they rebuilt the core engine of the game (MUCH BETTER), and playing Battlefield 1, which is probably one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. The campaign, whilst short, tells some amazing stories. The graphics are fantastic, and the maps are good (though the modes are not reinventing the wheel by any stretch of the imagination)

Any car guys on here? If so, what are you rolling on? What kind of mods past and future you have planned?

'13 Mustang GT premium, grabber blue with a 6 speed manual, 3.55 gears and Recarro's (from the factory).

Aftermarket mods: Ford Racing Cobra Jet intake manifold, Ford Racing Cobra Jet twin 65mm throttle body, COMP cams stage 3 cams, JLT cold air intake, LTH long tube headers, Pypes off road cat delete 3" x pipe, Flowmasters, a John Lund tune, full suspension upgrades, 20" Niche Verona wheels and a few subtle cosmetic mods. Horsepower is in and around 570 at the crank (490 wheel). I'm hoping for low 11's in the quarter mile this year. Ideally, I would like to be in the 10's N/A within the next 2 years.

Nice car! I've had 3 Mustangs in my past: A 1986 Cobra, a 2003 Pony and a 2006 GT pushing 329 RWHP. Cat delete, cold air intake, tuned. I also had an 86 Capri GS, which was my winter beater when I had the Cobra haha.

Right now I have a 15 STi SportTech. LOVE this car. Performance, handling, quality. Just a beautiful machine.

So far I've swapped out the exhaust with a Invidia N1 catback with titanium tips. Sounds and looks amazing. Also put Perrin 20mm spacers to push the wheels out to the fenders, and got the windows tinted.

Can't do performance mods as it will invalidate my warranty. I do plan on getting some new wheels and rubber, going all LED for my lighting inside and out. Going to get Winnipeg HID to put color changing halos in my headlights and black out the lenses, and there are some really sick blacked out taillights with sequential turn signals I am going to buy.

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
TL;DR version: I've had some cool cars, some weird cars, and some boring cars in my life.

• First car: Volkswagen Beetle. That was interesting in the winter, especially with the crappy heat. :laugh: Ran me back and forth to University
  • Second car: 78 Celica. Another University car. Basically the only cars I could afford while putting myself through University.
  • Third car: '67 Mustang Coupe, with a manual transmission and a 289. Fun car.
  • During this time: 78 Kawasaki 650. Rebuilt the engine from the ground up, and essentially turned it into a KZ750 (731cc, to be exact). A few other performance mods. Rode this from 16 until I left for Toronto when I was 23.
  • Fourth car: '92 Miata. Still have this - more on it in a bit.
  • Fifth car: 626 V6 with a 5spd. Loved this car. Really practical, reasonably quick, and handled well. Not sure why I got rid of it, really.
  • Sixth car: not a car - two Chrysler van / barges. Got these when were renovating our first house, and used to cart crap back and forth from HD, etc.
  • Seventh car: RX8. Always wanted a rotary. Very fun to drive, but worse gas mileage than the vans or the truck I currently have. Probably going to sell this this summer - don't use it often enough anymore.
  • Eighth car: not a car, a 2001 Mazda B4000 with a 5spd. Renovating the house we got a few years back, so this does dump runs and construction stuff, as well as acts as my daily.

The Miata is the fun car. I run this one in Solo I and II time trials, though I haven't had the time to do this in the last few years. Not much left that's stock on this thing, but it's a bit of a sleeper - you can't tell I've done much of anything to it, though the rollbar gives it away. Built my own turbo setup based on a Greddy system - welded up my own downpipe, intercooler piping, and intake piping. Replaced the ECU with a completely tunable standalone. TEIN coilovers, installed a Torsen LSD, stiff clutch, larger rotors/calipers from a newer Miata, installed a rollbar, etc. Large exhaust from downpipe to tailpipe. ECU runs with a MAP sensor and a WB02 to allow me to tune properly.

I run it at 12psi of boost, which dyno'ed at 225 at the rear wheels (240 at the crank, I guess?), though I did a couple of runs at 14psi, which produced 240 at the rear wheels. I've stripped a bunch of crap off the car, so even with the extra turbo stuff, it comes in at just over 2200 pounds. It's like a street legal go-kart. I've never drag raced it, but people with similar setups have run the 1/4 in the mid 12's. I get a 0-60 time of under 5s whenever I've tested it, if I can get traction.

I can't justify any other cars right now, but if I could, I'd be looking at a Subaru or a Boss 302 (absolutely LOVE the sound of the new flat-plane V8). Next year, I'm planning on stripping the Miata down, and swapping a different engine in it. It'll either be an LS V8 (yes, it actually fits in the Miata), or an Ecotec, which makes just a bit less power than my turbo setup, with more torque, better gas mileage, and is way less twitchy and difficult to maintain.

Told ya it was TL;DR. I warned you. ;)

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
1. I don't read books. I know, I'm the worst :)

2. I'm weird when it comes to music. I don't really pop in an album per se and listen to it over and over. I just like music across all genres. If something speaks to me, I'll add it to my 'new music' playlist. There are a few albums that are older I will pop in and listen to: Roger Waters "Radio KAOS", K-Os Atlantis, and Billy Talent II amongst them.

3. Getting back into GTAV onine as, after what 2 years on XBONE it FINALLY allows me and my friends to play together with some stability. Started playing The Division online again after they rebuilt the core engine of the game (MUCH BETTER), and playing Battlefield 1, which is probably one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. The campaign, whilst short, tells some amazing stories. The graphics are fantastic, and the maps are good (though the modes are not reinventing the wheel by any stretch of the imagination)

Nice car! I've had 3 Mustangs in my past: A 1986 Cobra, a 2003 Pony and a 2006 GT pushing 329 RWHP. Cat delete, cold air intake, tuned. I also had an 86 Capri GS, which was my winter beater when I had the Cobra haha.

Right now I have a 15 STi SportTech. LOVE this car. Performance, handling, quality. Just a beautiful machine.

So far I've swapped out the exhaust with a Invidia N1 catback with titanium tips. Sounds and looks amazing. Also put Perrin 20mm spacers to push the wheels out to the fenders, and got the windows tinted.

Can't do performance mods as it will invalidate my warranty. I do plan on getting some new wheels and rubber, going all LED for my lighting inside and out. Going to get Winnipeg HID to put color changing halos in my headlights and black out the lenses, and there are some really sick blacked out taillights with sequential turn signals I am going to buy.

Great taste in cars! Love STI's. Such a blast to drive. An '86 mustang GT is in my future as a restoration project. My favorite Fox body. This is my 9th mustang is 23 year's. This one's a keeper.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
TL;DR version: I've had some cool cars, some weird cars, and some boring cars in my life.

• First car: Volkswagen Beetle. That was interesting in the winter, especially with the crappy heat. :laugh: Ran me back and forth to University
  • Second car: 78 Celica. Another University car. Basically the only cars I could afford while putting myself through University.
  • Third car: '67 Mustang Coupe, with a manual transmission and a 289. Fun car.
  • During this time: 78 Kawasaki 650. Rebuilt the engine from the ground up, and essentially turned it into a KZ750 (731cc, to be exact). A few other performance mods. Rode this from 16 until I left for Toronto when I was 23.
  • Fourth car: '92 Miata. Still have this - more on it in a bit.
  • Fifth car: 626 V6 with a 5spd. Loved this car. Really practical, reasonably quick, and handled well. Not sure why I got rid of it, really.
  • Sixth car: not a car - two Chrysler van / barges. Got these when were renovating our first house, and used to cart crap back and forth from HD, etc.
  • Seventh car: RX8. Always wanted a rotary. Very fun to drive, but worse gas mileage than the vans or the truck I currently have. Probably going to sell this this summer - don't use it often enough anymore.
  • Eighth car: not a car, a 2001 Mazda B4000 with a 5spd. Renovating the house we got a few years back, so this does dump runs and construction stuff, as well as acts as my daily.

The Miata is the fun car. I run this one in Solo I and II time trials, though I haven't had the time to do this in the last few years. Not much left that's stock on this thing, but it's a bit of a sleeper - you can't tell I've done much of anything to it, though the rollbar gives it away. Built my own turbo setup based on a Greddy system - welded up my own downpipe, intercooler piping, and intake piping. Replaced the ECU with a completely tunable standalone. TEIN coilovers, installed a Torsen LSD, stiff clutch, larger rotors/calipers from a newer Miata, installed a rollbar, etc. Large exhaust from downpipe to tailpipe. ECU runs with a MAP sensor and a WB02 to allow me to tune properly.

I run it at 12psi of boost, which dyno'ed at 225 at the rear wheels (240 at the crank, I guess?), though I did a couple of runs at 14psi, which produced 240 at the rear wheels. I've stripped a bunch of crap off the car, so even with the extra turbo stuff, it comes in at just over 2200 pounds. It's like a street legal go-kart. I've never drag raced it, but people with similar setups have run the 1/4 in the mid 12's. I get a 0-60 time of under 5s whenever I've tested it, if I can get traction.

I can't justify any other cars right now, but if I could, I'd be looking at a Subaru or a Boss 302 (absolutely LOVE the sound of the new flat-plane V8). Next year, I'm planning on stripping the Miata down, and swapping a different engine in it. It'll either be an LS V8 (yes, it actually fits in the Miata), or an Ecotec, which makes just a bit less power than my turbo setup, with more torque, better gas mileage, and is way less twitchy and difficult to maintain.

Told ya it was TL;DR. I warned you. ;)

The Boss has the Coyote 5.0. The new Shelby 350 has the 5.2 Voodoo with the flat plane crank. Fords best motor ever. It sounds like a Ferrari but meaner.

Mid 12's is crazy respectable with that setup. Amazing what a car can do with turbos. I will eventually add some twin turbos to my set up, but I will have to upgrade the internals first. Stock block can handle about 750 hp. The turbos I want, with the top end mods i have should push me 900+, depending on the amount of boost i choose.

A miata with an 8 would just be silly fast. Not a GM guy but mad respect for an LS1. Good ol' push rod engine. Crazy that Chevy nor Dodge has developed a modular motor (overhead cams) for their muscle cars yet.

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The Boss has the Coyote 5.0. The new Shelby 350 has the 5.2 Voodoo with the flat plane crank. Fords best motor ever. It sounds like a Ferrari but meaner.

Ah yes: thanks! Yes, that engine is ridiculous. There's a video on Youtube of someone testing it on a mountain road in Cali, and they're laughing like a madman when they run it to the redline. The engine sounds even better when you flick the 'exhaust dump' switch. I'd kill for that car. :nod:

Mid 12's is crazy respectable with that setup. Amazing what a car can do with turbos. I will eventually add some twin turbos to my set up, but I will have to upgrade the internals first. Stock block can handle about 750 hp. The turbos I want, with the top end mods i have should push me 900+, depending on the amount of boost i choose.

That would be crazy - 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the freeway would be very, very interesting once boost kicks in. :D The Miata is quick mainly due to the lack of weight - 225hp isn't a bunch, but when you consider the stock engine puts out about 100 to the wheels, it's a fair upgrade when the car only weighs 2200lbs.

A miata with an 8 would just be silly fast. Not a GM guy but mad respect for an LS1. Good ol' push rod engine. Crazy that Chevy nor Dodge has developed a modular motor (overhead cams) for their muscle cars yet.

I've driven one. I think I peed a little bit during the drive. :laugh: The LSx engines weigh about the same as the heavy iron block stock Miata engine if you can believe it, as they're aluminum blocks. The transmission is heavier than the Miata transmission, but the car ends up weighing about 2400lbs once the swap is done (which includes a Caddy independent rear/differential). 400+ horses with only 2400lbs to carry around gets your attention.

I pretty much love all cars - I for sure love modified cars of all kinds. I'm sure your 'Stang would be incredibly fun with a turbo. Ever thought of a supercharger instead? Torque-torque-torque. Might be difficult to get it to hook up though. ;)

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Ah yes: thanks! Yes, that engine is ridiculous. There's a video on Youtube of someone testing it on a mountain road in Cali, and they're laughing like a madman when they run it to the redline. The engine sounds even better when you flick the 'exhaust dump' switch. I'd kill for that car. :nod:

That would be crazy - 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the freeway would be very, very interesting once boost kicks in. :D The Miata is quick mainly due to the lack of weight - 225hp isn't a bunch, but when you consider the stock engine puts out about 100 to the wheels, it's a fair upgrade when the car only weighs 2200lbs.

I've driven one. I think I peed a little bit during the drive. :laugh: The LSx engines weigh about the same as the heavy iron block stock Miata engine if you can believe it, as they're aluminum blocks. The transmission is heavier than the Miata transmission, but the car ends up weighing about 2400lbs once the swap is done (which includes a Caddy independent rear/differential). 400+ horses with only 2400lbs to carry around gets your attention.

I pretty much love all cars - I for sure love modified cars of all kinds. I'm sure your 'Stang would be incredibly fun with a turbo. Ever thought of a supercharger instead? Torque-torque-torque. Might be difficult to get it to hook up though. ;)

That's a crazy power to weight ratio. For example, my mustang is roughly 3600 lbs. A Dodge Challenger is a pig with lipstick. 4500 lbs stock. One has to get the 700 hp Hellcat just to get that piggy moving lol.

I almost pulled the pin on a VMP 10 pound blower with 92lb injectors. 785 crank horse with this setup. A superchargers power is instant where as a turbo needs to spool before the power kicks in. Typically I would go blower over turbos, but these Coyotes are high reving and respond well to turbos. I've seen Coyote mustangs hit 8's in the quarter on boost and able to drive home from the track with the AC and tunes blaring. Awesome.

If you're looking for an 8 swap for your Miata, I would highly recommend an '15-'17 Coyote 5.0. Forged internals and 435 bhp. You can pick one up for $10ish. Revs to 7200 rpm stock. With my top end mods, the engine pulls past 8000 rpm. Only replacement for displacement, is revs!

PS, It's already ridiculously hard to hook up. I have a set of Mickey Thompson street slicks. This helps a ton!

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
@Itchy: the LS swaps for the Miata are dead simple in comparison to a Ford V8 swap - there are bolt in front and rear subframes that make it literally a bolt on and go swap. The Ford stuff has fallen out of favour because the support for putting an LS into a Miata is so strong. The other complication: the LS's work well as they're pushrod engines, and have a very low overall height - OHC engines just won't fit under the hood of a Miata, no way, no how. The older 302's will, but again - the support isn't as strong for these swaps anymore.

Your car should be ridiculous if you boost it. :laugh:

PS: looks like it was made for the Miata, yes? :D

1061d1411872941-sold-fully-sorted-1995-ls1-miata-sale-sold-dscn0299.jpg

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
@Itchy: the LS swaps for the Miata are dead simple in comparison to a Ford V8 swap - there are bolt in front and rear subframes that make it literally a bolt on and go swap. The Ford stuff has fallen out of favour because the support for putting an LS into a Miata is so strong. The other complication: the LS's work well as they're pushrod engines, and have a very low overall height - OHC engines just won't fit under the hood of a Miata, no way, no how. The older 302's will, but again - the support isn't as strong for these swaps anymore.

Your car should be ridiculous if you boost it. :laugh:

PS: looks like it was made for the Miata, yes? :D

1061d1411872941-sold-fully-sorted-1995-ls1-miata-sale-sold-dscn0299.jpg

Dude, that's gorgeous. Great fit for that engine bay. Gotta go with the easier swap for sure. Especially if there's already a kit for it. I want to take that thing for a spin!

Last edited:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB

1. book you're reading

3. game you're playing

1. Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman - a real page turner so far (I'm about halfway through). It's set in France during the plague (1300s), and is a bit of a dialogue on people's perspective about God and the Devil (the idea that God essentially left the people of the world to fend for themselves against the Black Death). Very interesting.

2. If I Was by The Staves - I've been on a major Bon Iver kick lately, and The Staves were a part of his backing band recently. 3 Watford sisters with incredible harmonies.

3. The Last Guardian - finally! Been waiting for this for how long? Just like Shadow of the Colossus, the controls and camera take a bit of getting used to, but the world is amazing, and Trico becomes a good pal very quickly.

What about you?

1. The Hammer of Thor - preteen teen book. Its okay. Needed a dumbed down book after finishing the 2nd book of the outlander series.
2. Listening to a lot of Christmas music and general rock. No album.
3. Sims 3. Only game I own. I did finally download steam. Haven't made a purchase yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad