OT: Jets Lounge: post-Jedi edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Statistically it's nearly impossible there are no aliens. I agree that's it's really really REALLY unlikely aliens flew dozens or hundreds of light years to create weird looking lights of a random city for a fleeting moment hahaha.

To be clear there's clearly no aliens around earth but it's unlikely this is only planet to develop life in the literal trillions upon trillions upon trillions of planets in the universe. I find it kinda arrogant to think we are that special.

True. But there is only one Patrick Laine.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Statistically it's nearly impossible there are no aliens. I agree that's it's really really REALLY unlikely aliens flew dozens or hundreds of light years to create weird looking lights of a random city for a fleeting moment hahaha.

To be clear there's clearly no aliens around earth but it's unlikely this is only planet to develop life in the literal trillions upon trillions upon trillions of planets in the universe. I find it kinda arrogant to think we are that special.
Yes, I meant there were no aliens in St. James last night - or on Earth in general. But it's almost certain that there is intelligent alien life in other locations across the Universe.
True. But there is only one Patrick Laine.
Well, if the Universe is infinite, or there are infinite Universes, then there are also an infinite number of Patrick Laines.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
There was a lot of blowing snow last night - they closed HWY1 between Headingley and Portage because of poor visibility. He might have seen some weird light reflection in the blowing snow.

Yea usually these things have a pretty mundane explanation. I was inspired this evening to do some reading/listening into UFO lore and I ran into this interview of a "UFOlogist" on the Joe Rogan podcast and it was even more crazier and out-there than I expected:

If anyone is interested and has a couple of hours to kill I recommend listening to it, preferably do some 420 before listening to it, I wish I had :laugh:

Reactions: SLAYER

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sigh flying sucks. 5 hockey teams all booked on same flight to anaheim. Westjet failed to realize this despite at least 4 of them prebooking all players 2 bags, one of them oversize per player. In a shocker they tell us when we arrive not all bags fit on plane. Don't worry they'll be there tommorrow. Well today is tomorrow and we call, they say it's fine bags have cleared customs and should be arriving right away. Other teams got different info so we call back. Well there's no flight to Anaheim today so they won't arrive until tomorrow now hopefully maybe we'll see. Awesome, I have no clothes for 2 days. Westjet did offer a 250 dollar reimbursement policy, but that's and hope a prayer months from now of course. Luckily for our team all the hockey bags arrived but some teams this is not the case and they'll have players missing 2+ out of 4 games because they don't plan things properly.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

Holy cow imagine the delays had she been hit.

Staying at hostels in Australia was pretty close to the time of my life. Met a ton of great people and drank with people from all over the world.

It's fun but I'm a little over that part. They're all broke tourists on year long journeys to find themselves etc, and they stick to the dingy bar beneath the hostel. It's a lot more fun getting out exploring, meeting locals, going to gigs, sports etc. There's a ton of cool stuff out in the inner suburbs now too.

Flying to Sydney tomorrow then up to the Gold Coast to close out the trip.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Native speakers of English, could you reply to this post with one grammatically correct sentence of about 30-40 words? It does not matter what it is about, nor am I picky in terms of its structure - just a nice, long sentence will do. (NB! This is purely for gathering material for revision for an upcoming exam.)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Native speakers of English, could you reply to this post with one grammatically correct sentence of about 30-40 words? It does not matter what it is about, nor am I picky in terms of its structure - just a nice, long sentence will do.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a grammatically correct sentence of more than 30-40 words:

"Native speakers of English, could you reply to this post with one grammatically correct sentence of about 30-40 words? It does not matter what it is about, nor am I picky in terms of its structure - just a nice, long sentence will do."

;)

What fishbowl are we being placed in, if I may be so bold as to ask? :laugh:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

"Native speakers of English, could you reply to this post with one grammatically correct sentence of about 30-40 words? It does not matter what it is about, nor am I picky in terms of its structure - just a nice, long sentence will do."

;)

At times, these boards impress me. :laugh:

As for your question, I only need sentences for revision purposes, but I thought I could have some fun this way too. I somehow started having second thoughts very soon after posting.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

;)

That's actually 2 sentences (separated by a question mark).
It's very hard to think of a natural sentence that long. Good luck with your linguistics exams though!
It's not too hard to hit 30 or 40 words if you use a descriptive sentence, but we're generally taught to avoid this sort of thing for the sake of reading clarity. (That sentence was 32 words - 34 if you expand the contracted "it's" and "we're"). It's a bit padded. You could drop "too", "generally" "sort of thing" if this were pre-280 character limit Twitter, but it's not grammatically incorrect.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
That's actually 2 sentences (separated by a question mark).

It's not too hard to hit 30 or 40 words if you use a descriptive sentence, but we're generally taught to avoid this sort of thing for the sake of reading clarity. (That sentence was 32 words - 34 if you expand the contracted "it's" and "we're"). It's a bit padded. You could drop "too", "generally" "sort of thing" if this were pre-280 character limit Twitter, but it's not grammatically incorrect.

True. I guess I was thinking more in terms of speech. And in the few minutes I read that post before take-off.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I always liked his commentary but these are "interesting" times indeed.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
There is a town in north Ontario (not too far from Babcaygeon actually)

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Holy shit! That shooting in PLaP was just a couple of doors down from my in-laws. I'm surprised we didn't get a call to tell us about all the excitement. Unless they managed to sleep through it. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad