Jets in the Standings at end of '25 season.

How many points will Jets finish with this season?

• 108 points or above

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • 102 to 107 points

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • 97 to 101 points

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • 91 to 95 points

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • 90 points or fewer

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
To each his own. I find unmet expectations anything but fun. I do not enjoy disappointment and frustration. :laugh:

I think Jets are 90% of a good team. That last 10% is elusive.
So you'd rather start disappointed and be disappointed all year long?

🤣

The team is going to be what it's going to be no matter how we feel about it. I'd rather be excited and get af much enjoyment or if it as possible, especially considering this is simply entertainment.

Not saying you're wrong, it's just interesting.

Reactions: Buffdog

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Thanks Mort for doing this poll.

I will go with 97 points.

Reasoning:

The biggest differences will be:

#1) I expect our back up goalie “results” to regress to the mean. Last season we yielded 32 points from 23 games and I think we will yield 20 points from 20 games this season.

#2) The second biggest factor will be a drop off in our D core. Two parts to it, first off we turned over Dillion and Schmidt and that is going to hurt. Now Schmidt was overpaid and had to go but he and Samberg were so good on the bottom pair. Next thing is how healthy our D core was last season…..Morrissey played 81 games, DeMelo 82 games, Pionk 82 games, Dillon 77 games, and Samberg 78 games. Our top 5 were pretty much in tact all season and I don’t think I have seen that before.

#3) Our team defense and goaltending will not be able to do what they did last season. I don’t think the level of buy in from the forwards will be at the same level, I don’t think our D core will be as healthy/good, and I expect our Goaltending to drop off while still being our strength.

I think we will find our way into the playoffs.

I still think we will have a solid season but outside our putrid special teams last season, so much went right when it came to the Jets being the hardest team in the league to get a goal on.
Interesting that you mention special teams. If both of our units perform top 10 that could really mitigate some of the negative effects you list, above.

Reactions: ps241

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
92 ….with a healthy Hellebucyk
I’d rather be cautious about the regular season and hope that they actually save sumpthin’ for the playoffs.

Reactions: Heldig

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting that you mention special teams. If both of our units perform top 10 that could really mitigate some of the negative effects you list, above.

I have no idea how the special teams will shake out, it’s one of the areas that is a total mystery to me. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Reactions: Jet and Heldig

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The Central is going to be tough this year, Dallas, Colorado and i think Nashville will be better too. Having said that if we have Conner and Vilardi for most of the year i think we will be in a battle for 1st to 3rd . We just have to get our shit together come playoff time.
Colorado looks to be starting the season without Landeskog (again), Lehkonen, and Nickushkin. They are starting with guys like Nicholas Kovalenko, 19 year old Calum Ritchie, and got a goal from Ivan Ivan (the 2020's version of Duran Duran:laugh:) against Utah tonight. Their stars are going to have to do some heavy lifting early in the season.

I think Dallas and Nashville are the two best teams in the Central. Nashville might makes some moves if they get Johansen off the books too. I think Jets are probably fighting with Minny and Colorado for playoff spot, who knows maybe Utah will be good too. How Scott Arniel manages his players will be something to watch, there are no shortage of unhappy fans already with his roster decisions, and we haven't played a meaningful game yet. How the kids get integrated is what I want to see. The biggest concern for me was outlined by Ps241, the health of the defense.

I'll say 95 points, and as an aside I wonder if the Jets have a better defense than the Oilers to start the year. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

One other thing I wanted to mention. If the goal is to make the playoffs 97 points is just as effective as 110 points as far as means to an end goes. Personally in the new zen like state I am attempting to achieve I am way less concerned about if we make the playoffs or not than I have ever been. I am still looking forward to the season because I enjoy live NHL hockey.

Hopefully I am conveying my point property. I took a page out of my approach to golf. With golf I was always results driven and usually angry because I was rarely meeting my unrealistic expectations. I was never happy. Then I decided to say “f*** it” and not worry about my scoring. The moment I did that I started actually enjoying golf for the first time. Here’s the good news, on that rare occasion I shoot well I can actually enjoy it now and when I play poorly (most of the time) it doesn’t ruin my day because its more about just being out there hanging with good people. I retired in my diapers and rattle and granulated into a grown up who is actually ok to be on the course with.

You will still hear me complain about the Jets (like I do about my golf game) I just don’t want to let expectations get in the way of enjoying something I love which is a good NHL game live.

I am not being a defeatist or giving up, I am just reframing the reason I am a fan. I don’t want to live in a state of perpetual anger because of a cup or bust founding principle.

Hopefully the plan takes :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So you'd rather start disappointed and be disappointed all year long?

🤣

The team is going to be what it's going to be no matter how we feel about it. I'd rather be excited and get af much enjoyment or if it as possible, especially considering this is simply entertainment.

Not saying you're wrong, it's just interesting.

No disappointment if there are no unmet expectations.

True it is not exciting, but I can still enjoy it.

Edit: Plenty of room for excitement when/if they exceed my modest expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
One other thing I wanted to mention. If the goal is to make the playoffs 97 points is just as effective as 110 points as far as means to an end goes. Personally in the new zen like state I am attempting to achieve I am way less concerned about if we make the playoffs or not than I have ever been. I am still looking forward to the season because I enjoy live NHL hockey.

Hopefully I am conveying my point property. I took a page out of my approach to golf. With golf I was always results driven and usually angry because I was rarely meeting my unrealistic expectations. I was never happy. Then I decided to say “f*** it” and not worry about my scoring. The moment I did that I started actually enjoying golf for the first time. Here’s the good news, on that rare occasion I shoot well I can actually enjoy it now and when I play poorly (most of the time) it doesn’t ruin my day because its more about just being out there hanging with good people. I retired in my diapers and rattle and granulated into a grown up who is actually ok to be on the course with.

You will still hear me complain about the Jets (like I do about my golf game) I just don’t want to let expectations get in the way of enjoying something I love which is a good NHL game live.

I am not being a defeatist or giving up, I am just reframing the reason I am a fan. I don’t want to live in a state of perpetual anger because of a cup or bust founding principle.

Hopefully the plan takes :laugh:
That's totally fair! Everyone has to find the right balance.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well my guess is 98 points plus or minus a couple.

I doubt we get the amazing goaltending we got last year which is going to knock a bunch of points off.

I think it's realistic to expect us to get to league average special teams which should offset some of that loss.

But main issues are that it appears that we will be going into the year with the same deployment issues. The top line which hemerages chances is back and it puts a lot of pressure on the other lines and I don't think they outscore by the amounts they did last year.

I think this year comes down to how flexible Arniel is and if he is able to adapt when needed.

Reactions: Jack7222

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The Jets will drop down to 97 points this season...

giphy.gif

I think they will take a step back...

giphy.gif

but will still make the playoffs...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad