Value of: Jets Cap Crunch (Myers to Toronto) (Mason, Perreault + Others?)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Jets are pretty close to the brink of facing a cap crunch next season. With extensions needed for Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Lowry, Armia, Tanev, Comrie, Dano, Petan and Morrow. The last four are likely to get QO's. But the previous 6 are likely to put us right to the brink of the cap.

If the cap goes up to $80mil, which is between the projected 78-82 figures the NHL released. We are going to be pushing $79,784,150 by the time we lock those guys up.

Note: The above figures are with Enstrom, Matthias and Hendricks all being let go to FA.

So most Jets fans are in agreement that we need to move on from two of Myers, Perreault and Mason this off season at the very least just one. We also need to make a little bit of room on the roster and may move on from one of Petan and Dano as well.

So here is my offer to Toronto.

To Toronto
Tyler Myers

To Winnipeg
Toronto 2018 1st Round Pick
Andrew Nielsen or Connor Carrick

- Not sure how prized of a prospect Nielsen is but the Jets would likely need someone to give Poolman some competition on the backend for the 3RD spot and Nielsen could probably do that. Another fan suggested Carrick as a better deal for us.

As far as Perreault goes we'd like to keep him for a bit longer but realize he will be likely be a cap casualty in due time. Mason is another one that we would like to move this off season to open up cap. Not sure about our options there. Moving one of Dano or Petan is also an option to keep our PB from overcrowding.

Last edited:
Reactions: belair

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I was5hinking the same thing but with EDM 10th over all.
I was thinking something like
Myers - verbal that he signs extension
Petan
Perreault
For
EDM
10th over all

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I would do the OP trade as a Jets fan.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was5hinking the same thing but with EDM 10th over all.
I was thinking something like
Myers
Petan
Perreault
For
EDM
10th over all

Unlikely the Jets move that much for 10th OA. Would probably move Myers and Perreault in separate deals to maximize return.

I could see Perreault to Edmonton for their 2nd rounder and maybe a longer term prospect like Brind'Amour.

Reactions: Troy

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If my calculations hold water, we need to move on from one of Enstrom, Mason and Myers this offseason, and pretty much all of them by 7/2019. Trading Perreault is not a necessity, but rather an option. (this is without retaining Stastny)

I like the Leafs deal. The value seems fair, and the need is there for both sides.

Reactions: Hunter368

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If my calculations hold water, we need to move on from one of Enstrom, Mason and Myers this offseason, and pretty much all of them by 7/2019. Trading Perreault is not a necessity, but rather an option. (this is without retaining Stastny)

I like the Leafs deal. The value seems fair, and the need is there for both sides.

My guess is Enstrom retires from the NHL after this season and goes back to Sweden to be with his wife who has been diagnosed with cancer not long ago. She is a TV host in Sweden so it is pretty difficult for her to uproot and come to Canada. Myers definitely needs to be moved IMO if we resign Trouba. Mason I'm not sure what we can do with him.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Niku in for Enstrom. Cap crunch solved. Keep the team together for as long as possible

That doesn't really solve anything. The numbers above are with Enstrom, Matthias and Hendricks all gone this off season. We will be pushing the cap anyways. And with bonus' to think about as well we need to free up a couple million.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If I’m the leafs i would give you carrick instead of Nielsen that’s a favour. He doesn’t seem to have any real nhl potential. At least carrick can be a 6-7 d.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If I’m the leafs i would give you carrick instead of Nielsen that’s a favour. He doesn’t seem to have any real nhl potential. At least carrick can be a 6-7 d.

That would also likely do. We just need someone on the right side to push Poolman for the 3RD role.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
My guess is Enstrom retires from the NHL after this season and goes back to Sweden to be with his wife who has been diagnosed with cancer not long ago. She is a TV host in Sweden so it is pretty difficult for her to uproot and come to Canada. Myers definitely needs to be moved IMO if we resign Trouba. Mason I'm not sure what we can do with him.
Let's not do that. ;)

Enstrom might very well be done with NA after this playoff run, which would certainly hurt, but it is what it is. That would take care of this summer's cap crunch, though.

I'm all for ditching Myers a year early, because that way we would be able to cash in and get some futures for him rather than losing him for nothing. As for Mason, I think we could just hold on to him. In all likelihood, trading him would result in us paying someone to take on his deal, which is a no go. Moreover, there is no way he gets a thousand concussions again next year, so he should rebound a bit.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Let's not do that. ;)

Enstrom might very well be done with NA after this playoff run, which would certainly hurt, but it is what it is. That would take care of this summer's cap crunch, though.

I'm all for ditching Myers a year early, because that way we would be able to cash in and get some futures for him rather than losing him for nothing. As for Mason, I think we could just hold on to him. In all likelihood, trading him would result in us paying someone to take on his deal, which is a no go. Moreover, there is no way he gets a thousand concussions again next year, so he should rebound a bit.

Yeah true. Moving Trouba would do it. But the return would have to be good and we know how hard that is going to be.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Done and done. Though based on Myers play now and his ability to remain a top 4 defender moving forward what contract do you feel he will look at? I would give him a 6 year 5.3 million deal. Would that be an underpayment or overpayment based on his age, durability, and current level of play.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
OP is seeing the light. But unfortunately for the Jets, next season is just the tip of the iceberg. In year two they are looking at the salary inflation of the salaries of Patrik Laine, Kyle Connor and Blake Wheeler and Tyler Myers, should he still be around. So you're looking at around another $20m of inflation in 2019/20.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Done and done. Though based on Myers play now and his ability to remain a top 4 defender moving forward what contract do you feel he will look at? I would give him a 6 year 5.3 million deal. Would that be an underpayment or overpayment based on his age, durability, and current level of play.

Hard to say. He will get a raise no doubt. And is probably best suited to a 2nd pairing role. But he can QB a PP for sure.
I'd imagine he will look at something like $5.5-6 mil on his next contract. Though you might be able to lock him up for less given he doesn't have much competition yet on the right side. His durability will always be a bit of a question mark though. He seems to bounce back better from things now after his surgery.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The Jets are pretty close to the brink of facing a cap crunch next season. With extensions needed for Trouba, Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Lowry, Armia, Tanev, Comrie, Dano, Petan and Morrow. The last four are likely to get QO's. But the previous 6 are likely to put us right to the brink of the cap.

If the cap goes up to $80mil, which is between the projected 78-82 figures the NHL released. We are going to be pushing $79,784,150 by the time we lock those guys up.

Note: The above figures are with Enstrom, Matthias and Hendricks all being let go to FA.

So most Jets fans are in agreement that we need to move on from two of Myers, Perreault and Mason this off season at the very least just one. We also need to make a little bit of room on the roster and may move on from one of Petan and Dano as well.

So here is my offer to Toronto.

To Toronto
Tyler Myers

To Winnipeg
Toronto 2018 1st Round Pick
Andrew Nielsen or Connor Carrick

- Not sure how prized of a prospect Nielsen is but the Jets would likely need someone to give Poolman some competition on the backend for the 3RD spot and Nielsen could probably do that. Another fan suggested Carrick as a better deal for us.

As far as Perreault goes we'd like to keep him for a bit longer but realize he will be likely be a cap casualty in due time. Mason is another one that we would like to move this off season to open up cap. Not sure about our options there. Moving one of Dano or Petan is also an option to keep our PB from overcrowding.
As a Leafs fan, no interest in moving our 1st+ for Myers.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He is absolutely a top 4 defenseman, and his surgeries haven't seemed to slow him down. As for the contract, if you're projecting his next contract to start with a five, you're probably not far off. 6x5.3 might even be on the dot, who knows.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
OP is seeing the light. But unfortunately for the Jets, next season is just the tip of the iceberg. In year two they are looking at the salary inflation of the salaries of Patrik Laine, Kyle Connor and Blake Wheeler and Tyler Myers, should he still be around. So you're looking at around another $20m of inflation in 2019/20.

Yeah that is when we likely move Perreault for sure. If Mason and Myers are out this off season that open up $13,725,000 in cap. Kulikov will likely be moved on from just prior to or after his contract as well. We just have to hope for a decent increase in cap over the next few years to make the other pieces fit. Chevy is going to earn his paycheck over the next 3 seasons in negotiations.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
As a Leafs fan, no interest in moving our 1st+ for Myers.

Yeah I've had some mixed emotions from leafs fans. Some love it, some hate it. Probably depends on how you feel about developing talent rather then trying to take a step forward sooner.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

I’m curious to this as well. I watched a bunch of jets last year when he didn’t play. Not a ton this year but saw him live in the last game and he looked like the best player on the ice (it can be tough keeping track watching live).

Rielly Myers
Gard. Hainsey
Derm. Zaitsev

Looks good to me. I know Myers isn’t really a top pair guy. But if he is a solid top 4 that would help us a lot.

If gardiner wants out........ what about

Gardiner at 50 % for myers?
We don’t need the money. Jets would get a top 4 left D back and save 3.5 million in cap??? Would that work? Not to hijack but it’s another option?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I’m curious to this as well. I watched a bunch of jets last year when he didn’t play. Not a ton this year but saw him live in the last game and he looked like the best player on the ice (it can be tough keeping track watching live).

Rielly Myers
Gard. Hainsey
Derm. Zaitsev

Looks good to me. I know Myers isn’t really a top pair guy. But if he is a solid top 4 that would help us a lot.

We don’t need the money. Jets would get a top 4 left D back and save 3.5 million in cap??? Would that work? Not to hijack but it’s another option?

I don't think we would be looking at a LD as I think the Jets have plans to integrate Niku into the lineup next year. Plus we need the savings and that extra couple dollars would help us. That's why the futures+a 6/7 guy is ideal. But Myers could definitely thrive with a partner like Reilly who is better than any partner he has probably ever had in his career.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Hard to say. He will get a raise no doubt. And is probably best suited to a 2nd pairing role. But he can QB a PP for sure.
I'd imagine he will look at something like $5.5-6 mil on his next contract. Though you might be able to lock him up for less given he doesn't have much competition yet on the right side. His durability will always be a bit of a question mark though. He seems to bounce back better from things now after his surgery.

He is absolutely a top 4 defenseman, and his surgeries haven't seemed to slow him down. As for the contract, if you're projecting his next contract to start with a five, you're probably not far off. 6x5.3 might even be on the dot, who knows.

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully he can manage to stay healthy from here on out. He is young enough to be a key contributor for us for the next 5 years and has enough experience playing top minutes where he can be paired with someone like rielly and play 22-23 minutes a night. I really hope if the Jets are looking to deal Myers the Leafs go after him. I'm fine with our 2018 1st and carrick/Nielsen. The jets have drafted well in every 1st round with maybe the exception of the Stanley pick(remains to be seen) so the 25th pick wont be as much of a issue for you guys as you can probably find a good prospect there. The leafs would love to be able to add Myers and hopefully a free agent like cole/de haan to our right side with zaitsev. Personally I hope leafs can trade Gaddienr for a 1st+ to get a pick back and run rielly, dermott, hainsey kn oegt side and Myers, zaitsev, cole/dehaan left side.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah that is when we likely move Perreault for sure. If Mason and Myers are out this off season that open up $13,725,000 in cap. Kulikov will likely be moved on from just prior to or after his contract as well. We just have to hope for a decent increase in cap over the next few years to make the other pieces fit. Chevy is going to earn his paycheck over the next 3 seasons in negotiations.
The problem with that idea is that you need to have buyers for these players and they have to be willing to take every penny. I honestly don't see there being much of a market for a $4m Dmitry Kulikov. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it because there will ultimately be some nice pieces up for grabs for teams shrewd enough to make the deals.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Rielly Myers
Gard. Hainsey
Derm. Zaitsev

I honeslty dont want to see Hainsey kn a top 4 role next season. Let him play the left side( that's his natural side right?) Trade Gardiner (this is a absolute must if we go after Myers since we cant afford both at the same time moving forward) for a 2018/2019 1st and hopefully a B prospect. Then go after Ian Cole on a 1 year deal worth 3.5 million

Rielly-Myers
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Cole

Following year
Rielly-Myers
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman-lilijgren

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The problem with that idea is that you need to have buyers for these players and they have to be willing to take every penny. I honestly don't see there being much of a market for a $4m Dmitry Kulikov. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it because there will ultimately be some nice pieces up for grabs for teams shrewd enough to make the deals.

Yeah the other option is losing a young talented player but I'm hoping Chevy is able to avoid that. He's going to have to pinch every nickle he can from all these signings coming up.

Reactions: Devonator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad