Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I never claimed they did?

I was responding to Tasteless Beaver who brought up Guhle as a return, and I asked what the Jets were adding. Guhle is a proven asset on the rise, McGroarty while a great prospect, isn’t at that level. Yet.

I’m not trying to lowball Jets fans who are undoubtedly leery of Habs fans from the PLD drama. Just looking to see what the cost would be and what may interest the Jets in a return.

You’re being very reasonable

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brock Faber only scored 7 goals in three years of college hockey. He turned out ok.
He was playing as a defensive dman who didn't play on the PP, so i don't get the point of comparison with McGroarty. Are you saying you want someone back in trade who doesn't score goals? Because we've got plenty of those guys.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Not True...

Chevy can ask all he wants, but at the end of the day he is sitting on a timebomb and the longer he waits, the lower his value gets
Yes, true

Habs: "I hear McG is available. What would it take from our end?"
Chevy: "Guhle"
Habs: "we're not willing to do that"
Chevy: "OK. Bye"

That's how this works. Chevy hangs up and calls the next interested party

You'll notice it wasn't Chevy dialing up the Habs, but the other way around

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
He was playing as a defensive dman who didn't play on the PP, so i don't get the point of comparison with McGroarty. Are you saying you want someone back in trade who doesn't score goals? Because we've got plenty of those guys.

Faber was a mid second round pick who developed great and was the key piece in a trade for a 25 year old, point per game player. Then he had a great rookie season.

That’s how the Jets value McGroarty.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I never claimed they did?

I was responding to Tasteless Beaver who brought up Guhle as a return, and I asked what the Jets were adding. Guhle is a proven asset on the rise, McGroarty while a great prospect, isn’t at that level. Yet.

I’m not trying to lowball Jets fans who are undoubtedly leery of Habs fans from the PLD drama. Just looking to see what the cost would be and what may interest the Jets in a return.
The reason I don't think a deal works with the Habs is because you guys don't have a prospect/player in the same tier as Rutger

And I don't mean that in a way that says you don't have one that as good as him... but the opposite. Your high picks recently all hold more value than him, and the other assets like Barron don't hold enough

Jets fans might disagree, but I'd be maybe willing to do something around Beck and Barron, with the Jets adding an asset to balance it out

Not a sexy deal for Chevy but he adds a potential middle 6 centre and 2nd/3rd pairing RHD

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Faber was a mid second round pick who developed great and was the key piece in a trade for a 25 year old, point per game player. Then he had a great rookie season.

That’s how the Jets value McGroarty.
And you were implying that Rossi, who is playing in the NHL as a C and scored 20g. as a rookie, is not good enough for McGroarty?

Give your head a shake.

The reason I don't think a deal works with the Habs is because you guys don't have a prospect/player in the same tier as Rutger

And I don't mean that in a way that says you don't have one that as good as him... but the opposite. Your high picks recently all hold more value than him, and the other assets like Barron don't hold enough

Jets fans might disagree, but I'd be maybe willing to do something around Beck and Barron, with the Jets adding an asset to balance it out

Not a sexy deal for Chevy but he adds a potential middle 6 centre and 2nd/3rd pairing RHD
That would be a good deal. Beck is going to be a good player, i think. Just will take 2-3 years. Barron also has talent, but am less sure of him.

I think WPG wants something they can plug in next season, which is kind of ironic, as the only reason McGroarty is being traded is because they didn't want him to play next season.

Reactions: Buffdog

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
And you were implying that Rossi, who is playing in the NHL as a C and scored 20g. as a rookie, is not good enough for McGroarty?

Give your head a shake.

Not too many successful 5’9 centers out there. If Minnesota, who has really never had a top end center, wants to trade him…

Reactions: Snowman

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
After the Jets experiences with players like Kane and PLD I can't imagine that Chevy would take a flyer on Mailloux unless the Habs were virtually giving him away for nothing.
Those players aren't comparable. Unlike the others 2, Mailloux never had attitude problem and was never see as a bad teammate. Is mistake when he was a kid is behind him and if he was on the block, you can be sure all the team in the nhl would made a call to for him.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The only thing Montreal can offer is a young NHL LHD with #4 potential, a pick (Most likely Florida 1st next year) or someone like Beck if Winnipeg is looking for a good C center who is NHL ready and will play as your 3C or maybe 2C if you’re lucky for the next decade. Anything else is unrealistic.

Yes, true

Habs: "I hear McG is available. What would it take from our end?"
Chevy: "Guhle"
Habs: "we're not willing to do that"
Chevy: "OK. Bye"

That's how this works. Chevy hangs up and calls the next interested party

You'll notice it wasn't Chevy dialing up the Habs, but the other way around
What happens when Chevy go through all of the potential candidate and doesn’t get what he asked for - which seems to be a limit gross overpayment

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Among the offers, I think Rossi would be a good trade. I liked him in his draft year and I think Chevy would’ve drafted him with the next pick. I don’t think we will be better off with a pure prospect swap.

I’ll hold out for Laine (retained) + Mateychuk for Rutger + Schmidt/Pionk.

Also, gold star to Beendair Donedat for most reasonable Habs fan award.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
What happens when Chevy go through all of the potential candidate and doesn’t get what he asked for - which seems to be a limit gross overpayment
Then he waits. He's nothing if not a grinder/patient man

Can you name anyone he's traded (including guys who wanted out and had a specific destination in mind) that he hasn't extracted excellent value from?

The best attribute Chevy has (IMHO) is his ability to assess value for trade pieces and contracts

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Evergreen

Can you name anyone he's traded (including guys who wanted out and had a specific destination in mind) that he hasn't extracted excellent value from?

The best attribute Chevy has (IMHO) is his ability to assess value for trade pieces and contracts
But at a certain point McGroarty just becomes a UFA and the Jets’ leverages decreases each day as they get closer to that point.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

I can tell you he’s never going to get Guhle or a similar caliber player. That’s just being unrealistic

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
But at a certain point McGroarty just becomes a UFA and the Jets’ leverages decreases each day as they get closer to that point.
That's in two years. Lots can change

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that he's a Jet one day. How long is he gonna want to be sitting in classes for while his old USNDP teammates are cashing NHL cheques and living large?

His trade value won't change between now and this time next year. In fact, if he beasts in the NCAA it could go up

Right now any team trading for him likely signs him. If he goes to FA, then a team only has a 1/31 chance of getting him.

The only chance MTL has of signing him is paying chevy's price. A Nebraska kid doesn't grow up dreaming of playing for the Habs, and ypu can't use $ as an incentive for him like UFAs because he'll get the same offer from every team. He'll pick his desired location based on location and where his buddies are, and it ain't in PQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad