Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Apparently doesn't want to spend any time in the AHL....wants a guaranteed spot on the Jets. That should endear him to everyone.

On the other hand, if teams want their guys to want to play in the AHL, maybe they should find a way to make it more appealing than the NCAA. That's not on the players. If the NCAA is more appealing to these guys than the AHL, maybe the teams have some reflection to do.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Our local athletic guy Murat is reporting that CBJ, SJS, and OTT are all in the running for Rutger.

Would love to somehow work something out with a retained Laine coming back to Winnipeg if our players are still cool with him

Reactions: SenatorsLegionary

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
If they don't get at least that or a good prospect/player they just simply won't trade him as anything less they're in no rush compared to Rutger and his camp.

If he sees going back to college as a viable option he can't be in THAT much of a rush. He could play another season, get signed to an ELC and burn a year, and be no worse off than if he spent the year in the minors. Actually better off, in all likelihood.

I think this loophole stuff is overblown. With mid to late rounds prospects you aren't likely to try and sign them early anyway so it's irrelevant.

With high picks, just treat them like you would a CHL prospect ... Don't act like you have 4 years, because then you're playing with fire. If they're not worth signing sooner than a CHL guy would be, then why are you considering them for a 1st round pick? And if he is worth it, and you wait til year 2, be prepared to use the ELC burn as a carrot. Kids at good programs have it good ... they're not gonna want to leave for a minor league gig.

On the other hand, if teams want their guys to want to play in the AHL, maybe they should find a way to make it more appealing than the NCAA. That's not on the players. If the NCAA is more appealing to these guys than the AHL, maybe the teams have some reflection to do.

Yeah let's see, earn about 60-70k but have to pay your own way (rent, food, etc.), play a ton more games, travel constantly, and it's truly a job. On the other side, you get a free education, room and board, meals, get a little stipend money, 30-40 games, and you get to live relatively carefree in a college town. For most 20 yo kids, that's a no brainer.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Our local athletic guy Murat is reporting that CBJ, SJS, and OTT are all in the running for Rutger.

Would love to somehow work something out with a retained Laine coming back to Winnipeg if our players are still cool with him

Zero interest from me in Laine, I shudder at the thought of him coming back.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Laine back in Winnipeg would be awesome.

Why didn't this kid sign 2 years ago? He'd have earned at least $500k for those 2 years plus next year and then he'd be making a few million a year after that until UFA. Sounds like he hates Winnipeg. I like him.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
So you're saying even if his rights are traded he'll stay in the NCAA for his junior and senior seasons, unless he's guaranteed a starting NHL job?

broc

Dec 20, 2010
ZERO interest in Matthew Savoie. That guy is an undersized “skill” center, not physical, no intangibles. Just “points”.

He was INVISIBLE and the by far the most disappointing player on team Canada at the WJC as a draft +1 player. He is the exact guy Jets don’t need. We have Cole Perfetti already, don’t need another one. Keep your Matthew Savoie please , no interest whatsoever

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
So you're saying even if his rights are traded he'll stay in the NCAA for his junior and senior seasons, unless he's guaranteed a starting NHL job?
Really, at this point who cares? Let him deal with whatever is going on in his circle of advisors/family. Getting the best return is all we should care about. This is just business now. He made his move and now it is Chevy’s turn.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

If you're referring to this

There's absolutely nothing that implies any of those teams are actually interested, it's pure speculation on his part.

Columbus has 0 interest in moving Jiricek and Mateychuk for anything less than a major deal and this ain't it.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Apologies for asking a question that has no doubt been answered many times, but can/will/should McGroarty play center, or is he strictly a power winger type?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

You don’t want Laine.

Anyway, Jets board seems to think they can get Jiricek for him.. I need help following the logic there..

• Haha
Reactions: HabzSauce

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Would a one for one trade work with the Rangers for Braden Schneider.
Can't see that in anyway from the nyr side. Schneider took a step and pushed trouba down to 3rd pair status at times during the playoffs. The kid is a terrific d at his age and is established in the NHL, not likely a 2nd pair rhd gets dealt at his age and with his skating.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I'd make that deal. Savoie has played in Winnipeg at least so he's familiar with the city. I would still take Savoie ahead of McG but only by a few spots. Maybe some kind of exchange of picks? I'd be fine with that, Provided Rutger will sign with Buffalo.

To WPG:
Matt Savoie
43rd overall in 2024 draft

To BUF:
Rutger McGroarty
37th overall in 2024 draft

Buffalo moves up 6 spots in the 2nd round?
Personally, I'm not a fan of the Jets giving up their best prospect for a 5'-9 player. He's good and all, but the odds of him being impactful in the NHL, especial as a center, are slim.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
This is ridiculously off the mark it’s embarrassing!!! Winnipeg has trouble keeping prospects already? We’ll wait for this so called list of prospects wanting out of Winnipeg.
Right, because I've seen so many Jets fans happy about the way other prospects and young players have been and are being developed. Guaranteed McGroarty and his team have noticed similar trends, otherwise this wouldn't have happened.

• Haha

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Right, because I've seen so many Jets fans happy about the way other prospects and young players have been and are being developed. Guaranteed McGroarty and his team have noticed similar trends, otherwise this wouldn't have happened.
That's largely bullshit. There are few HFJets posters who are largely analytics based guys who exist in a Twitter echo chamber with a couple of local reporters who say that

Mostly everyone else sees things reasonably

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Agreed
They'd try Trouba though but I bet he ends up in Utah
This. Schneider taking the next step allows them to move the Trouba deal earlier….
He’s young, cost controlled and going to get better.
Plus he already has quite a few playoff games experience for such a young age. Him/laf/fox/cuylle/etc are that next core that will combine with the young players they have coming up in the system.

Honestly, Kakko+30th (1st) is not a horrible offer….
Depends on if the jets think Kakko takes the next step offensively there with guys who are familiar to him… lambert/heinola

Reactions: Daves a mess

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

If the Sens could trade back a few spots and get another asset, I guess a deal could be worked out with Ottawa's 1st. No interest in trading 7th overall though.

Reactions: SCP Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad