Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sabres should be in on this? While McGroarty doesn't play C, he does have size and some grit, which should help them as soon as next year. Jets should be thrilled with the 11oa.

Alternatively, Sabres could send one of their skilled forward prospects who are near NHL ready, and a 2nd/3rd, or something like that.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Sabres should be in on this? While McGroarty doesn't play C, he does have size and some grit, which should help them as soon as next year. Jets should be thrilled with the 11oa.

Alternatively, Sabres could send one of their skilled forward prospects who are near NHL ready, and a 2nd/3rd, or something like that.
Straight up for Savoie would work for me.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wonder if a trade of McGroarty , Ehler's and Jet's 2025 1st rder for Blackhawk 2nd Overall this year 'would work ?

Interesting proposition. I wonder what we could do with all 3 of those separately though value wise.

McG would likely command a similar value prospect I think. Ehlers with an extension should garner a roster play back of some sort with value added from one side or another based on who it is. The 1st could be used to help the team down the line for a rental.

#2 is nice but I'm not sure if we can garner that same level of value to help our window now.

Reactions: Buffdog

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
This isn't how it works.

Winnipeg isn't trading him to be nice, or because they think he is obligated to have them trade him. They are trading him because this is the peak of his value for them. The closer he gets to free agency, the less leverage they have.

A mid 2nd two years from now is not worth very much today.

It sucks when a player doesn't want to sign with a team that rightfully drafted him, but we don't have to pretend that this scenario is something it isn't. Like Rutger is going to come back to the Jets, hat in hand, asking for a job because he flamed out in College and should have accepted their offer two years previous, now he has to go play in the SPHL for 500 a month and enjoy the amenities of living in a Birmingham motel with 4 other players in the room. That isn't going to happen.

He will go somewhere else, sign, and get what he wants because he is a top prospect and has leverage to do this. Winnipeg will be happy to trade him because playing hardball and keeping him won't help them. It just means they will get less 2 years from now when they take the compensation.
Well, we don’t actually know what’s happening. Friedman just said McGroarty has come up in trade talks. Not that Chevy is shopping him or that he is desperate to unload him this second. He has 2 years to figure it out.

We do know McGroarty decided to go back to Michigan. Most think it’s because he wanted a spot on the Jets and it wasn’t promised to him. I haven’t seen that McGroarty said he will never play for the Jets either.

We also know Chevy is trying to improve the Jets. Free agents are tough to get for the Jets so Chevy is probably asking other teams about some significant players. Obviously significant players get significant returns so of course teams will ask about McGroarty.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Sabres passed on McGroarty in the same draft, and it's not like Rutger has passed Savoie in development.

Jets would need to add something to get Savoie. Nothing huge.....but something.
I would argue that McGroarty has really raised his value over the last year or so. Re-draft 2022 and he might even go before Savoie. Having said that i'd be ok with a small add to get Savoie.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sabres passed on McGroarty in the same draft, and it's not like Rutger has passed Savoie in development.

I'd make that deal. Savoie has played in Winnipeg at least so he's familiar with the city. I would still take Savoie ahead of McG but only by a few spots. Maybe some kind of exchange of picks? I'd be fine with that, Provided Rutger will sign with Buffalo.

To WPG:
Matt Savoie
43rd overall in 2024 draft

To BUF:
Rutger McGroarty
37th overall in 2024 draft

Buffalo moves up 6 spots in the 2nd round?

10YearsAfter

Feb 11, 2014
Connecticut

not a fan of either team, but sabres would to add a lot. savoie has not lived up to his draft status which was already overblown

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Well, we don’t actually know what’s happening. Friedman just said McGroarty has come up in trade talks. Not that Chevy is shopping him or that he is desperate to unload him this second. He has 2 years to figure it out.

We do know McGroarty decided to go back to Michigan. Most think it’s because he wanted a spot on the Jets and it wasn’t promised to him. I haven’t seen that McGroarty said he will never play for the Jets either.
^ This is all accurate

FWIW, Seravelli was speculating on his podcast (last Sunday's episode) that it was the Jets who started shopping him around. The theory being they were disappointed with him deciding to return to Michigan, and can use him as an asset to either improve the roster for next year, and/or get back into the first round.

This would also fit Friedman's theory. The Jets rarely leak anything, so he would have reported what other teams were telling him.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
not a fan of either team, but sabres would to add a lot. savoie has not lived up to his draft status which was already overblown

I don't see how he didn’t. As a Warrior ST holder he was the biggest add our franchise has ever made and was a big reason we secured our first WHL Championship and first ticket to the Memorial Cup. He came up huge for us. 47 points in 23 games down the stretch. He was a monster.

Reactions: Smif

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
There is no way he is going back to Michigan after all this. Winnipeg is clearly having a hard time keeping prospects already, that would make their situation even worse.
This is ridiculously off the mark it’s embarrassing!!! Winnipeg has trouble keeping prospects already? We’ll wait for this so called list of prospects wanting out of Winnipeg.

Reactions: SCP Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad