Post-Game Talk: Jets 8 - Sharks 3

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I know a lot people won't be happy until this happens for some reason

Obviously the special teams can't sustain the levels we're seeing, but the more improved they are over last season, the less important the top line winning matchups 5v5 will be

If we win the special teams and goaltending matchups we will win lots of games where Schief and Connor get outchanced

It's almost like the team was designed that way
this is seems like quite the hypocritical reasoning coming from you. prior to this game you've been shitting on the 2nd line's xGF% how they were not good, but the top line getting out-chanced it's a "hey no biggie" "not important" or w/e the excuse of the day is.

still waiting to see those cup winning teams w/ marginal top-lines

Reactions: WolfHouse and hn777

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Easy game to enjoy against an easy team to beat. Lots written about the offence in an 8-3 game, but the thing that has stood out for me so far this season is our defensive structure, which hasn't missed a beat from last year. Samberg has really come into his own as a confident 2LD and that may be part of the reason Pionk looks so confident and unharried. I've been pleasantly surprised by Fleury--he is a better version of Stanley, at league minimum cost. There is really no room for a 33 yo $4M AAV Brenden Dillon on this team and they haven't missed a beat.

Now, let me just say this about Scheifele, Connor and Ehlers......JK :naughty::sarcasm::D

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
this is seems like quite the hypocritical reasoning coming from you. prior to this game you've been shitting on the 2nd line's xGF% how they were not good, but the top line getting out-chanced it's a "hey no biggie" "not important" or w/e the excuse of the day is.

still waiting to see those cup winning teams w/ marginal top-lines
I didn't shit on the 2nd line after they were 12% xGF in the first game. I just pointed it out asked how long it would be before people would start shitting on them like they do with the first line so we could establish some level of consistency from posters on what constitutes an adequate sample size

After the 2nd game I said they were better (35%) and trending in the right direction

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Samberg has really come into his own as a confident 2LD and that may be part of the reason Pionk looks so confident and unharried. I've been pleasantly surprised by Fleury--he is a better version of Stanley, at league minimum cost. There is really no room for a 33 yo $4M AAV Brenden Dillon on this team and they haven't missed a beat.

Now, let me just say this about Scheifele, Connor and Ehlers......JK :naughty::sarcasm::D
Button was praising the Jets' development program and how they set up players for success. He used Samberg as an example. He said they do it as well as anyone in the league.
He also said he believes Pitt sent McG down so he didn't have to play in Winnipeg on Sunday!

edit...it was on illegal curve today.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Easy game to enjoy against an easy team to beat. Lots written about the offence in an 8-3 game, but the thing that has stood out for me so far this season is our defensive structure, which hasn't missed a beat from last year. Samberg has really come into his own as a confident 2LD and that may be part of the reason Pionk looks so confident and unharried. I've been pleasantly surprised by Fleury--he is a better version of Stanley, at league minimum cost. There is really no room for a 33 yo $4M AAV Brenden Dillon on this team and they haven't missed a beat.

Yeah, I think getting that new assistant with experience in a strong defensive system in the Canes has really helped. The biggest change I've seen from Bones is Arniel has put more emphasis on breaking out with control. We are seeing much better puck support from our players allowing for the dmen to make the clean passes to get the puck out.

Arniel was serious when he said he wanted the team to play with more speed, and you do that by moving the puck cleanly and crisply. That is on both the passer and the receiver to create those seams to quickly move the puck.

I think the group is still working on the offensive tweaks Scott wants to employ.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
After all shit talk about how 2nd line not producing in the first few games. They come out big this game Really happy with Jets performance so far Would be nice if all lines were firing together but I’ll take this.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The one thing I will nitpick is that the top line needs to be more diligent at managing their shift lengths. No issue against a team like the Sharks last night but, not changing when you have the opportunity and then getting stuck out for long periods of time in your end after could kill us in the playoffs against a good team.

They got the same amount of shifts as the second line but played 8 minutes more. Some of that was special teams sure, but good amount of that was being out way too long at 5 on 5.

Lifted this from Garrett's recap:

Same number of shifts you say? Yikes! This is 5v5.
1729358601616.png

Agreed, we've been so much better at retrievals and breaking out due to getting the puck first with the d this year.

I really don't know what will happen. My guess is they carry 8 dmen and rotate them all in if we stay healthy.

We can use all 8. There will pretty much always be at least 1 injured. I just hope we don't need 9. :laugh:

Reactions: hn777

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It's nice to watch the Jets play an inferior team on the second of back-to-backs and crush them.

The Power Play has improved so much from last season.

Our Heritage Jerseys still look amazing.

Lots to feel good about.

b9a4938f-3b9f-4ebf-8861-2535754df887_text.gif

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

View attachment 918583

We can use all 8. There will pretty much always be at least 1 injured. I just hope we don't need 9. :laugh:
So based on that, ENP should be thanking the Schief line for playing all the hard minutes and allowing them to feast on the AHL level depth int he Sharks?

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Button was praising the Jets' development program and how they set up players for success. He used Samberg as an example. He said they do it as well as anyone in the league.
He also said he believes Pitt sent McG down so he didn't have to play in Winnipeg on Sunday!

edit...it was on illegal curve today.
LOL Can we rename him Mario?

Mario would always take the night off when the Pens would come to play the Jets in Wpg.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

View attachment 918583

There was a couple of shifts where the #1 line could not get out of the DZ but imo it was more on the D-men than the line ... they never scored right?
Who had more high danger chances?
Garrett just loves s***ing on Scheifele and Connor with his corsi.
If the Jets won the Cup and Scheifele the Conn Smythe ... he would still find a negative thing to say about Scheifele/Connor playing together.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So based on that, ENP should be thanking the Schief line for playing all the hard minutes and allowing them to feast on the AHL level depth int he Sharks?
So there’s this strawberry jam mixed with Carolina reaper peppers that I buy at a local market. It’s fantastic on omelettes and with eggs more generally. Any other ideas on what I should try it on?

Also, leave this post alone you dang dirty mods. It’s on topic. Look:

As far as hockey games go, that was a fun one.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Exactly! :naughty:

Oh, wait. Where there any hard minutes? I guess there must have been. No other way to account for Scheifele line's CF%. :laugh:

There was a couple of shifts where the #1 line could not get out of the DZ but imo it was more on the D-men than the line ... they never scored right?
If the Jets won the Cup and Scheifele the Conn Smythe ... he would still find a negative thing to say about Scheifele/Connor playing together.

And rightly so. :)

Seriously, the point about shift length stands. Maybe if they didn't stay out so long they wouldn't get hemmed in the D zone.

• Haha
Reactions: Bigfish and Buffdog

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Fancy stats are fun to talk about but one game sample sizes are just way too small. The only thing I didn’t love about Connor and Schief is blow outs bring the worst out of them because they really cheat for offense to pad. I prefer watching them play in close hard fought games.

I am taking very little from last night because San Jose let us do our thing. Their forecheck was terrible and they gave up their blue line most of the night (when I was watching at least). That is going to make any team look good.

That wasn’t a real hockey game but it was lots of fun to watch.

In the offensive zone they kept trying to make that one pass that if connected would look really good but it was always to a guy who was covered, or not in a position to accept it or got straight up intercepted. And with that line once they lose the puck it stays lost lol... not many second and third battles. tbf I think Connor has actually been better than Vilardi.

Whereas the other lines showed that all you needed to do against this Sharks team was say on top of their D, keep taking their time and space away and chances would come. Was really hoping they'd use an easier opponent to get themselves going.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

View attachment 918583

That's why you need balance throughout your lineup, so lines can pick each other up. Over the 1st 3 games the 2nd line had dismal numbers and were picked up by other lines. Game by game analytics are mostly useless unless you have an axe to grind and then they are great fodder. Far and away the team leaders in xGF% are our 4th line. Of course they don't actually score much they just expectantly score a lot :laugh:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
This is a BIG misapprehension about using stats as a method of inquiry. True professionals look at the numbers to answer questions, not prove a point. People who don't really understand the science often assume they have an axe to grind, but really that is just projection.

I can't speak for Garrett, but I would personally love to see Scheifele and Connor's numbers be as good as they could possibly be, together or apart. So long as it improves the team's chances, that's all most of us want, no malice aforethought.

Reactions: Bigfish

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Main thing is that the Jets pounded a team that they should beat - they didnt always do that

Good
- Ehlers really is the key to that powerplay so far - his zone entries do make a difference and that has been a real issue
- Samberg and Pionk look like they have real chemistry - Id still like to have Dillon over Fleury on that third pair since we basically had the capspace but the D looks solid
- Perfetti snapped his slump

Less Good
- Connor-Scheif shift length - this is an annual issue that gets ugly by mid-season... hopefully its addressed
- Perfetti-Ehlers chemistry - I dont see it... I think both players benefit more from a net front forechecker like Nino, Iafallo or Barron than from each other - but then you have line politics in play... the 2nd PP line of Nino-Perfetti-Iafallo looked really comfortable together

CSV
Barron-Lowry-Apples
Nino-Perfetti-Iafallo
Ehlers-Names-Kupari

Reactions: Inanna

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Just shows what a load of malarkey those stats are

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Exactly! :naughty:

Oh, wait. Where there any hard minutes? I guess there must have been. No other way to account for Scheifele line's CF%. :laugh:

And rightly so. :)

Seriously, the point about shift length stands. Maybe if they didn't stay out so long they wouldn't get hemmed in the D zone.
I've watched the Schief line more closely just to see what it is that they're specifically doing to end up getting outchanced most games and failed zone exits leading to follow up chances by the opposition is really the one thing that jumps off the page at me

I also took a peek at the xGF and xGA numbers and I wasn't surprised by the elevated xGA but I was very surprised by how low the xGF is. Again, I think that the reason they could be better at generating chances is because you can't do it when you're in your own zone

But I think the "Connor and Schief are bad defensively" narrative should be replaced with "Connor and Schief are bad at zone exits together", and it would also explain why Schief does so much better with Ehlers since he's a zone exit/entry wizard

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Main thing is that the Jets pounded a team that they should beat - they didnt always do that

Good
- Ehlers really is the key to that powerplay so far - his zone entries do make a difference and that has been a real issue
- Samberg and Pionk look like they have real chemistry - Id still like to have Dillon over Fleury on that third pair since we basically had the capspace but the D looks solid
- Perfetti snapped his slump

Less Good
- Connor-Scheif shift length - this is an annual issue that gets ugly by mid-season... hopefully its addressed
- Perfetti-Ehlers chemistry - I dont see it... I think both players benefit more from a net front forechecker like Nino, Iafallo or Barron than from each other - but then you have line politics in play... the 2nd PP line of Nino-Perfetti-Iafallo looked really comfortable together

CSV
Barron-Lowry-Apples
Nino-Perfetti-Iafallo
Ehlers-Names-Kupari
scheifele and connor starting their abysmal defensive play early.
dont worry though, the lesser paid, lesser depth charted players will pick up their slack as they did tremendously last year to little to no credit from this forum. and when that dries up the usual crew will shit on them.
who cares about our 2 of our leaders at fwd and highest paid players actually putting in a 2-way effort as long as they get their PP time and EN time it's all good.

Reactions: Bigfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad