Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Coilers 0

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Some of the discussions on here get way off base IMO. Last night was a horrible game to try and get any kind of barring on possession numbers and even worse for something like xGF%. We had the best offensive team in the league down 5 - 0 half way through the game. Nothing after that will be a reasonable analysis of play. It will be severely tilted as we we run down the clock and they throw everything into the attack, Which we did amazingly well with mostly only allowing low percentage attempts against.
I really hope xGF is a stat used with context. Broad stats take away from individual plays. Systems. All the hockey basics. Special teams. 2-0 victory last night would feel good for the coach in his debut. Some of the "questionable" players on the roster contributed last night to a special teams victory.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Did you just start an argument just to refute it and claim people are overreacting... 😃

If you are actually going to use these fancy stats, then you havd to acknowledge that csv got absolutely caved while the game was still 2-0
My post had nothing to do with CSV

It was about ENP

Just wondering how many games we give them with results like that before we can make a judgement on them

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Look at the shift corsi/xgf on natural stat trick

For a one game sample theres no sense looking at game numbers - review shift by shift

I dont even care really - but @Buffdog created his own straw man and then got huffy against the 'other posters' so ill bite.

Look at the shifts - csv got caved after we were up 2-0
What's my strawman now? Please be specific

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
According to that Blackhawks guy, they have found that the tracking data differs from the actual position by distances in the range of 1-3 inches. So it seems pretty reliable. Of course, he would say so.

Scheifele had two games in the 2022-23 season when his xGF% was in the single digits. And not even the high ones.

View attachment 914909

The stats nerds probably overlook the single game sample for xGF% because it's not very useful.:nod:

Sometimes players get absolutely caved in in a game. What you want to avoid is that happening to them game in and game out.
Who were ENP matched up against most of the game? Was it LD'S line? Lowry and company virtually completely neutralized the McDickwad line so maybe ENP just suffered the same fate and they will be better next game. I love Names but I think with him as our de facto #2 C we aren't as strong there as other teams. NLA may well be our actual 2nd line and if all 3 could get to the 50 point plateau then they likely be the actual 2nd line, even if ENP got more ice time.

Anyone remember where the oilers were twenty games in last year?
7-12-1

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Great Game Jets....

Not a bad team, just need that 1 true superstar for the playoff.
Should be our BOY Helly, but he didn't show up last year.

Hopefully it changes this time around..

GO JETS GO!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad