Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Kraken 3 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inanna

Cat Lady
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
North of Toronto
Just rewatched highlights and first two Seattle goals Pionk is way out of position giving up grade A scoring chances. Third goal was a nice high slot tip but also his guy. But can't really blame him on a high slot tip.
Does your highlight package show how many shots Pionk blocked or how many guys he moved out of Helle's view or how many goals he saved by clearing away loose pucks from near the net?

Didn't think so.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The way I look at being 7-0 isn't that it's a great streak ( and it is ) but as wins now mean you can have a bit of a slide later and still make the playoffs.

7-0.... 14 points

75 games left, Even if the Jets were to play just .500 for the rest of the season add those 75 points to the 14 they already have.... that's 89 points. Almost enough for the playoffs. And I think we can say the Jets will be a little better than just .500... so playoffs it is. :nod:
Making hay while the sun is shining... 2 points in. October count the same as 2 points in March

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Agreed. I made a similar comment after the last game I think. Vilardi looks to be playing the slowest IMO.
Vilardi really hasn't impressed so far, granted I couldn't watch the 2 games fully this week. The top line at 5v5 play as a whole has been underwhelming. Vilardi last year iirc started slow on the score sheet but I think was still getting alot of chances not sure how his chance/shot rates compare year over year.

Reactions: Buffdog

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
You do not seem to grasp the concept of sample size or Corsi, which is all about sample size.

You use the word Corsi, then talk about +/-.

They are 2/3 of our top line. They are supposed to do more than simply NOT cost the Jets a game.
I do know ... I'm just pointing out that they are not losing games as some posters were claiming. I just got sick of it and I am pointing it out now.
And its not 2/3 of a line ... there are 12 players on the ice. Analytics are flawed if the input is incorrected.
For example yesterday in the last minute of the second period I saw Samberg make two hits behind the net taking out a Kraken player and then in the beginning of the third Samberg made a hit right in front of the camera pressed up against the glass. That's 3 hits ... checked the scoreboard he is only credited with one hit.:huh:
I was watching NJ/Det game the other night ... Devils have 42 shots going into the last minute pressing to tied the game. The game end with the Devils having 40 shots even the announcers mention it about how often they change SOG in every game.

Moloch

Mar 15, 2024
Sadly, it likely means this team is doomed. You have to go back about 40 years to find a team that started the season with 7 or more wins and went on to win the Cup. It seems like an even bigger kiss of death than winning the President's or Vezina trophies. Which could also come this way, in which case they would have the trifecta of karmic catastrophe.

Just remember... The higher you climb, the harder the landing when you fall. :nod:
That's assuming you go on a losing streak with the same force that brought you to the top to begin with. With this team, we've seen them lose 6 in a row, but it doesn't happen frequently. I doubt we hit a ceiling and retrace our steps completely. Others have used the 'cushion' analogy, which I think is more appropriate. Do heavy lifting early on, have less heavy lifting to do later, that way you dont sputter into the postseason with a team thats exhausted

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Sorry I’m a bit late to the party. Work getting in the way of this one but thanks to ESPN+ I can watch afterwards with no spoilers.

Anyways, all I gotta say is I’m thrilled we’re maxing out the points early. I’m over that whole “Being hot going into the playoffs”. We saw how that went(and I say that also with the knowledge that there’s only so many you can win in a row or in a stretch before the odds catch up).

WE’RE establishing early that we can compete with the best and that will stick in this team’s mind all year through the ups and downs. They KNOW they are that damn good. Let’s enjoy this ride everyone.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Just rewatched highlights and first two Seattle goals Pionk is way out of position giving up grade A scoring chances. Third goal was a nice high slot tip but also his guy. But can't really blame him on a high slot tip.

Are you talking about the Eberle goal as well there? That play was a catch 22. Pionk called out the far guy, followed his guy, then realized that guy was still open because all forwards followed the puck carrier. That was a lack of communication and teamwork.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Sorry I’m a bit late to the party. Work getting in the way of this one but thanks to ESPN+ I can watch afterwards with no spoilers.

Anyways, all I gotta say is I’m thrilled we’re maxing out the points early. I’m over that whole “Being hot going into the playoffs”. We saw how that went(and I say that also with the knowledge that there’s only so many you can win in a row or in a stretch before the odds catch up).

WE’RE establishing early that we can compete with the best and that will stick in this team’s mind all year through the ups and downs. They KNOW they are that damn good. Let’s enjoy this ride everyone.

I am soooo insightful when I’m drinking :owl:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Are you talking about the Eberle goal as well there? That play was a catch 22. Pionk called out the far guy, followed his guy, then realized that guy was still open because all forwards followed the puck carrier. That was a lack of communication and teamwork.
Kupari looked worse defensively on two of their goals. Pionk has given up some chances too, but nobody I think predicted him to be leading the defense in scoring to start the year, tied for 3rd on the team. Different player this year.

Reactions: bustamente

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That's assuming you go on a losing streak with the same force that brought you to the top to begin with. With this team, we've seen them lose 6 in a row, but it doesn't happen frequently. I doubt we hit a ceiling and retrace our steps completely. Others have used the 'cushion' analogy, which I think is more appropriate. Do heavy lifting early on, have less heavy lifting to do later, that way you dont sputter into the postseason with a team thats exhausted
I was being allegorical. Or metaphorical. Or one of those stupid oracles.

It's about fans getting their hopes up based on regular season results, only to have them crushed when the playoffs arrive. Imagine how Bruins fans felt after their amazing regular season, then... Boom Boom, out go the lights. Or when the Bombers dominate the reg, then choke in the big game. That's gotta be hard on the psyche. Not to mention the pocketbook when you have to replace that smashed big screen TV. Speaking of which, rumour has it a certain Bomber power couple has Best Buy on speed dial, but you didn't hear it from me. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Eyeseeing

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Sadly, it likely means this team is doomed. You have to go back about 40 years to find a team that started the season with 7 or more wins and went on to win the Cup. It seems like an even bigger kiss of death than winning the President's or Vezina trophies. Which could also come this way, in which case they would have the trifecta of karmic catastrophe.

Just remember... The higher you climb, the harder the landing when you fall. :nod:
The team was “doomed” since the beginning enjoy the regular season and winning. No Canadian team, no small market has won for awhile, so instead of focusing on playoffs stay in the moment.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
This is a great way of looking at it. So rational and calm of an explanation. Hard for me to believe I read it on HFBoards :laugh:
I was going to make the .500 the rest of the way post and we make the playoffs but I thought the board might lose their collective sh*t insinuationg we are barely above a .500 team. I do agree that banking points now hedges our bets against the 2nd half swoons we've seen from past teams.

I would like Fleury back in, maybe against Toronto . Figure Bug Eyes gets Calgary and Hellezina gets the center of the universe on Monday.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think we have seen enough at this point to know we will be competitive. We have a pretty deep team with league best goaltending. Any adjusted odds would have the Jets in the playoffs as a pretty safe bet.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well Scheifele is scoring at a 58 goal 117 point pace and has been involved in several game tying and game winning goals when close games have been on the line. Our PP our biggest weakness last season is also 1st in the league and a big part of that is 55 and 81.

Sure. Does that affect the statement I made? I was replying to a post that stated they had not cost us any games. More than that IS expected of them.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I do know ... I'm just pointing out that they are not losing games as some posters were claiming. I just got sick of it and I am pointing it out now.
And its not 2/3 of a line ... there are 12 players on the ice. Analytics are flawed if the input is incorrected.
For example yesterday in the last minute of the second period I saw Samberg make two hits behind the net taking out a Kraken player and then in the beginning of the third Samberg made a hit right in front of the camera pressed up against the glass. That's 3 hits ... checked the scoreboard he is only credited with one hit.:huh:
I was watching NJ/Det game the other night ... Devils have 42 shots going into the last minute pressing to tied the game. The game end with the Devils having 40 shots even the announcers mention it about how often they change SOG in every game.

No one has lost us a game so far this year.
THEY are 2/3 of a line.

Tracking hits is subjective.

Yes, shot counting goes up and down too much during a game. Each shot is reviewed. Sometimes slo-mo reveals that a perceived shot was not actually on the net, for example. They correct the count.

Reactions: Jack7222
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad