Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Wild 1 in OT

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Honestly what irritates me about the whole thing is that Ehlers is a stats darling and Scheifele + Connor are bashed as a pair. Although I agree 55 and 81 spend far too much time in their own zone, my eye test sees them doing more positive things and Ehlers negative that are actually driving results.

A bird in the hand etc.
For me its the lost opportunity of ehlers/scheif combo... because they produce both by the eye test and adv stats

I also think connor would massively help perfetti get rolling - but im fine with winning three to start...

Its midseason where the bad habits really show up so hopefully thats not the case this year. Jets should be near top of the conference in the first half - its the second half adjustments that this team has a hard time with

Reactions: Jack7222 and Jet

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
We're not exactly talking digging deep into the libraries of arcane lore for stats that show that Scheifele and Connor doesn't work as a pairing 5v5. Year after year, the Jets have a better goal differential when Scheifele and Connor are kept apart 5v5 than they when they are put together.

Yes, their shot metrics and expected goals are consistently atrocious, but that shit is for nerds. I'm just big into them outscoring the other team, which they do when they are apart, but not together.
When we lose I'm going to be so sad. Why can't we just always win.
I would also like someone to answer this question.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Plus I look better in yoga pants than either Stumbly or Sipowicz.
1000032930.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31 and Inanna

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Heinola is always great until he actually starts playing, not so sure he even beats out Fleury who has size and speed.

Heinola’s problem is playing in his own which is kinda big for a D man!

An observation from me... I was at the game last night...

My brother went to the main souvenier shop at the arena between periods...

He was looking to replace his 20 plus year old pants with one of the pro pants the Jets had on sale, used of course...

The best condition pair were Mediums - tag on them was Heinolas... like new...

Heinola's pants were too small for my brother who is 6 ft tall and he's very fit, but skinny as a rail... 185 lbs...

He had to buy a Large....

If you saw some clown wearing around hockey pants in the concourse... that was my brother...

As for Tiny Heini... well... you got it right Sip'...

:laugh:

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
An observation from me... I was at the game last night...

My brother went to the main souvenier shop at the arena between periods...

He was looking to replace his 20 plus year old pants with one of the pro pants the Jets had on sale, used of course...

The best condition pair were Mediums - tag on them was Heinolas... like new...

Heinola's pants were too small for my brother who is 6 ft tall and he's very fit, but skinny as a rail... 185 lbs...

He had to buy a Large....

If you saw some clown wearing around pants in the concourse... that was my brother...

As for Tiny Heini... well... you got it right Sip'...

:laugh:
Maybe Ville's pants were a youth medium lol

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Question for all yall...

Moving forward, would you rather have Haydn Fleury or Declan Chisholm on the bottom pair?

Haven't seen enough of Chisholm to form an opinion. Might be close.

How about a choice between Fleury (or Chisholm) and Stanley?

I think I would not be unhappy with a 3rd pair of Chisholm - Kovacevic.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Haven't seen enough of Chisholm to form an opinion. Might be close.

How about a choice between Fleury (or Chisholm) and Stanley?

I think I would not be unhappy with a 3rd pair of Chisholm - Kovacevic.
My point is that bottom pairing/tweener dmen are a dime a dozen and not worth stressing over if we happen to lose one to waivers

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Shout out to Rasmus Kupari who has been showing why he claimed the 4C role in camp. He's become hard to play against for opponents with his size and speed, and he's protecting the puck well in the offensive zone. He's been one of the most pleasant surprises this season so far.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think you might be on to something with the lack of playing time for the second group in camp -
IMO, Ehlers needs to settle down and and play some up and down hockey with the other two - because that's the game they play.
I also think they will sort if out at some point - I wouldn't mess with them until they've had a few more reps.

As a side note, it looks to me like all three are very much out of sync - maybe they need to sit down over a beer and have a chat about what they're trying to achieve out there and how they can get on the same page.
the way that line is constructed, ehlers & perfetti need carry the bill offensively. i see ehlers doing the same carrying the puck, creating an opportunity as usual , but his linemates are sometimes a different area code.

if you want to fundamentally change the way ehlers plays and ultimately take away his strengths, you're doing a disservice since his strengths which makes him one of the top 5v5 performers on the team & the game. maybe find a better linemate mix (hmmm). or maybe perfetti for example should be the one adjusting & playing better. this is the guy who gets compared to every elite player around here yet is barely noticeable.

the trio was a positive line last year (11 GF, 6 GA in 195mins) so i am willing to give it a bit more time. as mentioned, perfetti missed some TC, pre-season etc. ehlers similarly last year missed TC and i found his timing a bit off to start, and then he started picking it up. could be the same.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Shout out to Rasmus Kupari who has been showing why he claimed the 4C role in camp. He's become hard to play against for opponents with his size and speed, and he's protecting the puck well in the offensive zone. He's been one of the most pleasant surprises this season so far.
I agree and That 4th line does not make me nervous at all.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My point is that bottom pairing/tweener dmen are a dime a dozen and not worth stressing over if we happen to lose one to waivers

Yeah, I get it.

But every little bit helps. Chisholm might actually be an increment better than Fleury. And I think Kovacevic is better than Miller.

Will Fleury be able to maintain the level of play we have seen from him? There is a reason he is on his 5th NHL team since being drafted 10 years ago and was available for a league minimum salary and a 2 way contract. OTOH, there is also a reason he was drafted 7th OA. :laugh:

Is it possible that he has finally figured something out in D+11, at age 28? Seems unlikely, but so far, so good.

Fleury has been a nice addition. I like the way that left side of the defense skates...there's always a d-man who can join the rush. Hard to see either Stanley or Heinola bumping him if he keeps it up and is steady on the PK...I think Chevy did well here in the bargain shopping department.

Still a small sample, but I think his mobility has made him clearly a step up on Stanley. Heinola remains an unknown quantity.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed.

I wonder what happens when Stan and Heinola come back?

Fleury is probably the odd man out.

Heinola gets in.

Stanley plays pressbox 7D.

and Miller stays?

Hard to say. Jets have stayed with Stan through thick and thin and he has improved. But his lack of foot speed has betrayed him, especially in the last PO. Fleury is both quicker and faster and he also has size, though obviously less than Tree.

Loyalty says Stan stays and Fleury gets waived. I don't think he makes it through. But if it goes by actual performance Stan will be the odd man out.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yeah, I get it.

But every little bit helps. Chisholm might actually be an increment better than Fleury. And I think Kovacevic is better than Miller.

Will Fleury be able to maintain the level of play we have seen from him? There is a reason he is on his 5th NHL team since being drafted 10 years ago and was available for a league minimum salary and a 2 way contract. OTOH, there is also a reason he was drafted 7th OA. :laugh:

Is it possible that he has finally figured something out in D+11, at age 28? Seems unlikely, but so far, so good.

Still a small sample, but I think his mobility has made him clearly a step up on Stanley. Heinola remains an unknown quantity.
If you did a fair amount of research, you would find that there are certain players who find their niche with certain coaches, especially among guys considered marginal. It's possible that Fleury was a good fit for the defensive system that Chynoweth wants to implement, with Arniel's oversight.

After losing to a mobile defensive core last year in the playoffs, mobility might be the biggest addition we've had this year. Miller is the slowest guy out there, but he's a lot more physical around the net than Schmidt was. If Heinola eventually replaced him, as Fleury has played a lot on his offside too, and his work on the PK has to be a factor in ice time, the Jets defense could conceivably turn up the jets another notch. But Miller might just need a few more reps to find his role. I liked seeing him out on PP2 for a minute, I think that's where he will light the lamp first.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hard to say. Jets have stayed with Stan through thick and thin and he has improved. But his lack of foot speed has betrayed him, especially in the last PO. Fleury is both quicker and faster and he also has size, though obviously less than Tree.

Loyalty says Stan stays and Fleury gets waived. I don't think he makes it through. But if it goes by actual performance Stan will be the odd man out.
I imagine Heinola is the odd man out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets will have interesting decisions to make when and if both Stanley and Heinola are good to go. Obviously Coghan will be put on waivers, but what happens to Fleury and Miller. If the Jets are playing well and there are no injuries can you justify taking them out. Can you have both Stanley and Heinola in the press box, do you try to move one of them. Or do you rotate all four depending on the game.

I don't see Miller in that conversation. He is our 3RHD and is playing adequately. It is Fleury, Stanley and Heinola fighting for 3LD and 1 press box spot. They might waive Coglan and go with 8 D, at least for a while.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wonder if swapping barron and ehlers would provide a spark? Maybe kupari and ehlers end up with some chemistry

I'd swap Names and Kupari before I did that.

And there hasn't been all that much criticism directed at the first line but they have the same number of goals at even strength as the ENP line. So swap Ehlers and Vilardi before that. Maybe kick start both lines. Easiest thing to try is just swapping Ehlers and Perfetti.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad