Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Hawks 1 in OT

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck's had a really good start. If Comrie was in net for the first two games the Jets would be 0-2 right now.

Pionk alone has been on the ice for 57% of the Jets total xGA (all situations) so far. 54% of 5v5 xGA on the top 3 pairs has been while 4-54 were on the ice (in just 34% of the 5v5 TOI).

If the Jets didn't have elite goaltending, Pionk would be hated more than Brad Lauer around here.
While what you say may be true , we DO have a elite goalie. Why do people constantly say this? We are paying Helly alot of money to stop the puck, if the Oilers didn't have McDavid they wouldn't be near as good but they have McDavid.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
While what you say may be true , we DO have a elite goalie. Why do people constantly say this? We are paying Helly alot of money to stop the puck, if the Oilers didn't have McDavid they wouldn't be near as good but they have McDavid.
Yeah, people can't grasp that teams rely on their best players to play well in order for the team to be successful

Why are goalies excluded from that?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Yeah it's easy to blame Neal but he actually did what he was supposed to, there.

My question is where was the F that was supposed to be covering back?
Well let’s examine the play. Samberg shoots the puck around the boards.
Who is close to the puck Maroon or Pionk? (second picture)
It was Samberg’s job to get back …. Donato was right at the blue line. But hey blame Connor and Scheifele.
IMG_7544.png

Last edited:

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I have one bottom line when watching did we win or lose, don't care about advanced stats, metrics or any analytics. It's nice that there are people providing this information but I'm not in the least interested.

Reactions: ekotyluk

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, people can't grasp that teams rely on their best players to play well in order for the team to be successful

Why are goalies excluded from that?
Just my opinion but if you don't have goaltending you don't have much hope of winning. To me a goalie is right up there with a number 1 center and a number 1 defenseman as team needs to be successful.

Reactions: GNP

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Who is closer to the puck Maroon or Pionk?
Bad read by Pionk but Samberg should have back him up. I'm not knocking Pionk he took a chance but the blame on Connor and Scheifele is getting sickening. The Jets are 2-0 for **** sakes.
IMG_7543.png

Last edited:
Reactions: voyageur

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Just my opinion but if you don't have goaltending you don't have much hope of winning. To me a goalie is right up there with a number 1 center and a number 1 defenseman as team needs to be successful.
I think it depends

Teams like the Hawks, Penguins, etc who wom cups only needed someone who was good enough to not f*** it up. Same with the Wngs and Osgood

Flip side of that are teams like ours who don't have the elite top end talent that those teams had. We need elite goaltending to have a chance

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well let’s examine the play. Samberg shoots the puck around the boards.
Who is close to the puck Maroon or Pionk? (second picture)
It was Samberg’s job to get back …. Donato was right at the blue line. But hey blame Connor and Scheifele.
View attachment 915707
While its not optimal to assess a play from 2 still pics, Pionk did make the correct play to push down the boards. He wasn't likely winning possession there but his job is to force Fat Balloon into a bad play, maybe a chip out to lost possession.

If you look at the Jets high F (Connor?) He needs to recognize that Pionk is going for it and fall back but I bet if you let the video play instead I'm sure he stayed in the zone hoping to pick off the puck for a grade A chance.

I'm not really mad at Connor for that, the thing that makes him a great scorer is that instinct. However, he didn't make the prudent play, there.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Hellebuyck's had a really good start. If Comrie was in net for the first two games the Jets would be 0-2 right now.

Pionk alone has been on the ice for 57% of the Jets total xGA (all situations) so far. 54% of 5v5 xGA on the top 3 pairs has been while 4-54 were on the ice (in just 34% of the 5v5 TOI).

If the Jets didn't have elite goaltending, Pionk would be hated more than Brad Lauer around here.
Wait a second Jets have one goal against so far this season in 2 games and Pionk is +2 in actual goal differential. That's a slanted argument. Like it or not Samberg and Pionk get most assignments with Lowry's shutdown line. Which has a lot of d-zone starts. So I'd expect them to give up the most scoring chances. At least we can agree on the elite goaltending...

I liked Neal's post game interview. Always stays humble. Credits his teammates.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad