Value of: Jesper Bratt (and Timo Meier)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
One year of RFA left but I doubt hes ever moved unless its in a hockey trade, aka a one for one or at least one for one based package

Also in-division is super tough. Wouldnt wanna piss him off and then send him to our biggest competitor right now
Unlikely, but the Canes aren’t afraid to offer sheet someone…

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
wouldnt shock me if nj moves bratt. apparently that last 2 rounds of negotiations didn't go well.
They seem to be dedicated to getting him signed, and are still trying, but I haven't ruled out trading him at all.

His agent for waxed last time in a negotiation that went on for too long, so I think he wants to win this big.

Wouldn’t Bratt want a decent contract with 2 more years now? Seems risky to sign for 6 years when you can get 8 years now.
I actually think it makes more sense to do something like 4 now then try to get 7 at age 29. There's no reason he should think his game is going to shit over the next 4 years playing with Jack/ Nico / mercer/ timo. It's a reasonable risk if he's willing

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
Considering Meier didnt get anything close to 4 firsts, I have no idea what that package could get you.
Idk what the offer sheet compensation is for a deal around 9aav for what probably 5-7 years

But that along with another pick and prospect can get someone nice Im sure

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
At the end of the day, even though it's bad for NJ if they can't get Bratt and Meier signed, they essentially added to their roster risk free this year. Signing Bratt was never a sure thing after the last go around, and Bratt will still have a ton of value. The assets spent on Meier can somewhat be returned by trading Bratt if needed. It looks bad on paper but they're still in a pretty good position and not really a step backwards.

Reactions: Sparkleton

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Itd require the Devils to match his number for the seventh and eighth year which is difficult given how much talent NJ has

Thats why I made the compromise of losing two years. If he wants eight he likely wants 9 and idt we can do that. Meier scores more goals and fills more of a need.

Palat will likely be gone by year 3 of his deal as well. That money then goes to Mercer
How do you plan on getting rid of him. It’s not going to be easy as you might think. Buy out is an option.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
8 mil a year for Jesper Bratt.. What a world.
He's got 131 points in 139 games over the last 2 years as a 23-24 year old- that's 12th among LWs. And only 2 of those 12 guys are younger than him (Robertson, B Tkachuk).

On top of that, he's an elite play driver. He's very easily worth $8M lol.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Neither should accept anything under 9. I suspect Timo might actually just take the QO if the offer is 7.5.

Doubt Bratt would take a lower number either when he seemed prepared to hold out last year for the high number.

Yeah, they can both hold out for $9M+ if their only goal is to get as much money possible on their next contract at all costs. Or they can realize the opportunity they have with NJ to be a highly competitive team for a long time and see that the top two players on the team are already on undervalued contracts and maybe take slightly less to be part of something that could be great.

Who knows how it will all work out, but I give Fitzgerald credit for trying to trying to follow the Tampa/Boston model of getting star players to take slightly less to build a team that can be great for a long time. Given where NJ already is and the prospect pool they have, it's hard to argue that any other team would provide Bratt and Meier a better chance of winning during the duration of their next contracts. That is surely a major selling point in these contract negotiations.

I also like that Fitzgerald is selling players on New Jersey itself. Yeah, as a lifetime NJ resident I've heard all the jokes before and don't care. Fitz has spoken about this on recent podcasts and is right to call out some of the benefits of playing in NJ - for starters, they have the easiest travel schedule in the league. Several other teams within a short bus or train trip. Practice facility in the same location as the arena, whereas teams like the Rangers and Flyers have the two rather far apart. Even Newark airport is only a 10 minute or so drive from the arena, further reducing travel time. Younger players often live in Jersey City or Hoboken which is great for those that prefer the city life or there are a ton of the most affluent suburbs in the nation nearby that are perfect for older players with families.

I'm hopeful/optimistic that Fitz will get something done with both players. I'd say maybe $8.5M on average between the two, with Meier's contract coming out slightly higher. I think Fitz will be fair, but won't just give in to their demands. I like what he's doing with this organization and the moves he's made thus far and have a lot of confidence in how he'll handle these negotiations. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the rest of this season.

Unlikely, but the Canes aren’t afraid to offer sheet someone…

To my knowledge, they've only made one and that was largely out of vengeance, right?

I'm not concerned about a Carolina offer sheet though as they are rather conservative in how they pay their players - as evidenced by letting Hamilton walk and Aho signing the offer sheet with Montreal. I can't see them doing anything ridiculous.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
To my knowledge, they've only made one and that was largely out of vengeance, right?

I'm not concerned about a Carolina offer sheet though as they are rather conservative in how they pay their players - as evidenced by letting Hamilton walk and Aho signing the offer sheet with Montreal. I can't see them doing anything ridiculous.
They've only made 1 but it was not out of vengeance at all. They tried to trade for Kotkaniemi before going the offer sheet route.

I was mainly just posting that as another way Bratt could wind up leaving NJD, whether by the Canes or someone else. If the Devils truly are hellbent on not paying anyone more than Hughes that opens up the door for other teams to offer sheet someone like Bratt. I don't think the Canes will have any interest in Bratt at all, let alone to do an offer sheet. Wasn't a super serious post either.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Bratt is interesting for sure, I expect meier negotiations to be pretty straight forward.

What is the rumored ask for Bratt? Just doesn't make total sense how they can't have one worked out for over a year now.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I like how NJD, for no good reason, have managed to price themselves out of Bratt even though they've had two golden opportunities to extend him long-term for far cheaper.

What the f***?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I like how NJD, for no good reason, have managed to price themselves out of Bratt even though they've had two golden opportunities to extend him long-term for far cheaper.

What the f***?

How, exactly, have they priced themselves out of Bratt? Even if he comes out on the higher side of the $8-$9M range, they can afford him.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
How, exactly, have they priced themselves out of Bratt? Even if he comes out on the higher side of the $8-$9M range, they can afford him.
Do you think they have the space to re-sign Meier and Bratt without running $800k guys on their defence if Severson and Graves depart?
It takes two to tango
Has Bratt been hesitant to sign long-term? I'm not a NJD fan, so my understanding is that management kept offering bridges or low balling him.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Do you think they have the space to re-sign Meier and Bratt without running $800k guys on their defence if Severson and Graves depart?

Yes, they do.

Have you actually crunched the numbers or are you just taking a wild guess?

Though, realistically they also have a pair of $900K guys in Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec that will be earning a spot on defense soon enough, regardless of the cap situation.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Has Bratt been hesitant to sign long-term? I'm not a NJD fan, so my understanding is that management kept offering bridges or low balling him.
I am an NJD fan, and I have no understanding of it. Outside fan bases getting scoops fans of the team aren't?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Fitz was on the record saying they've offered him multiple different long term deals, sounds a lot like the negotiation was one-sided though. Bratt's agent likely picked a high number and wouldn't budge off of it, Fitz again said last week, they've tabled a long term offer to him and have received zero response.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Yes, they do.

Have you actually crunched the numbers or are you just taking a wild guess?

Though, realistically they also have a pair of $900K guys in Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec that will be earning a spot on defense soon enough, regardless of the cap situation.
I've poked around capfriendly, but I'll dive in now.

Given that Fitzgerald has consistently been running a 23 man roster, I doubt he'll suddenly switch to a 20 man roster. I'll work from that.

New Jersey has $35.6m to play with next season across 11 contracts for a roster size of 23 players.

If they keep Schmid around then bring up Holtz, L Hughes and Nemec, NJD will have 14 contracts. That leaves them needing eight forwards and one defenceman.

x - J Hughes - x
Palat - Hischier - Mercer
x - x - Holtz
x - x - x
Lazar, x

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
L Hughes - Marino
x - Nemec
Smith

Vanecek
Schmid

If Meier and Bratt take up $18.5m next year while Nemec, Hughes and Holtz take ~$2.7m, then New Jersey will have ~$14.4m remaining for six forwards and one defenceman.

NJD can get Bahl around his current cap hit so that they have seven defenceman, which leaves ~$13.6m for six forwards.

The following is a stab, and yes, I know Palat has been on the third recently:
Meier - J Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Hischier - Mercer
x - x - Holtz
x - x - x
Lazar, x

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
L Hughes - Marino
Bahl - Nemec
Smith

Vanecek
Schmid

Let's say you get away with $3.8m on your fourth line and another spare. You're left with $9.8m for two impact middle-six forwards.

Alright. Turns out you guys can manage it given your high number of ELCs and surplus value contracts.

If L Hughes and Nemec aren't ready enough for a run next season, though, it'll sting as Mercer will need a raise then. You'll likely need to do what Tampa does and pay a premium to get a quality player on supervalue contracts (Coleman, Hagel, Paul, Jeannot).

Reactions: TBF1972 and HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad