Player Discussion Jesper Boqvist

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Disagree.

Bruins dominated the regular season, as all the numbers show.

To imply they somehow were fortunate, as if they didn't earn it, just isn't right.

I wouldn't 100% disagree. There were multiple games where we won and in the post game thread the consensus was we couldn't believe they they came back to pull out the win and this team never quits. If fairness though, to set the single season record for wins and points, you're going to need some puck luck.

Reactions: Gordoff

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Yes, because their plan was to win it all last year but they choked in the playoffs, leaving them literally with their dicks in their hands because they didn't actually have a plan. Get it? What we're seeing now is full panic mode, which does not actually constitute a plan.

So did you disagree with the plan from the FO to go for it all last season and swallow the consequences this season? Given how most of last year went, I can’t say I disagreed at the time.

I’m lost as to how this is “panic mode” right now. They don’t have other options at the moment if they want to put a semi-decent lineup on the ice opening night. How is that “panic mode”? It’s just managing within an extremely constrained (and yes, largely self inflicted) situation.

We’re not disagreeing about the frustrations of the past and the fact that the FO has made numerous mistakes. But you’re criticizing what they’re doing this offseason based on an irreversible set of circumstances, some of which came about under very understandable thought processes at the time. Basically, it seems like you’d call whatever they did this off-season a failure by citing all the stuff that came before this offseason.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Beecher was never in the plans for this year. He has to become a good, top half of the roster AHL player before he becomes an NHL player. He was better in the 2nd half of the season after a disastorous 1st half. Let him build on that and earn a spot.
Beecher is just another example of them taking a guy and expecting him to be a top 6 producing forward despite him never being that guy at any level of hockey. The failure isn’t on the players, it’s on the organization for drafting or signing an apple and the team then expecting them to become an orange.

So did you disagree with the plan from the FO to go for it all last season and swallow the consequences this season? Given how most of last year went, I can’t say I disagreed at the time.

I’m lost as to how this is “panic mode” right now. They don’t have other options at the moment if they want to put a semi-decent lineup on the ice opening night. How is that “panic mode”? It’s just managing within an extremely constrained (and yes, largely self inflicted) situation.

We’re not disagreeing about the frustrations of the past and the fact that the FO has made numerous mistakes. But you’re criticizing what they’re doing this offseason based on an irreversible set of circumstances, some of which came about under very understandable thought processes at the time. Basically, it seems like you’d call whatever they did this off-season a failure by citing all the stuff that came before this offseason.
As fans we live and die by each year because that’s what we do. As the people in charge they don’t get the luxury of looking at a singular season. They have to always be planning 2 years out, 5 years out, etc. It’s the nature of the job. So them getting caught up in a short term view is an utter failure.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Cheap signing, no risk for this kind of money. I would have rather had DS sign someone like Thomas Tatar instead of JVR / Brown and Boquist. I see DS game plan this year, sign as many players you can for El Cheapo contracts, throw them on the ice and pray some of them have rebound / career seasons for us. Very risky. I would rather take quality over quantity.

TT is a consistent 18-22 goal guy and 45-50 pt guy.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Beecher is just another example of them taking a guy and expecting him to be a top 6 producing forward despite him never being that guy at any level of hockey. The failure isn’t on the players, it’s on the organization for drafting or signing an apple and the team then expecting them to become an orange.

As fans we live and die by each year because that’s what we do. As the people in charge they don’t get the luxury of looking at a singular season. They have to always be planning 2 years out, 5 years out, etc. It’s the nature of the job. So them getting caught up in a short term view is an utter failure.
Where have they expected Beecher to be a top 6 producing forward? They haven't done anything of the sort.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I wouldn't 100% disagree. There were multiple games where we won and in the post game thread the consensus was we couldn't believe they they came back to pull out the win and this team never quits. If fairness though, to set the single season record for wins and points, you're going to need some puck luck.

Good teams always win multiple games when they come from behind, let alone great teams.

They had a team goals against of 2.03. How much did they have to comeback from?

The Florida Panthers from 2021-22 were a great example of a flukey regular season because of so many multi-goal comebacks. They allowed 2.83 goals against, 13th in league, yet won the Presidents Trophy. Never recall seeing a team comeback that much over the course of a season.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I thought I remember reading somewhere that Beecher had 'top-9' potential or 3rd line center, I'd have to find it, from a couple years ago.
3rd line potential and an anchor as a hard to play against 3rd line C was his ceiling. Not a bad pick if you want a large fluid center at the end of round 1. The cost for size and speed is skill. The gamble is still in play but he seems much more like a potential 4th line difference maker then 3rd line JAG to me.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Wherever Boqvist plays, not a bad signing. Another hungry player with upside. DS had to fill out a roster. Obvious that with limited cap space he is trying to build a very tough bottom 6 to play against, plus create some good inner competition before the season starts. Pre-season is going to be a ton of fun.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Wherever Boqvist plays, not a bad signing. Another hungry player with upside. DS had to fill out a roster. Obvious that with limited cap space he is trying to build a very tough bottom 6 to play against, plus create some good inner competition before the season starts. Pre-season is going to be a ton of fun.
I don't get the pre-season doesn't matter folk...When it comes to prospects, invitees, close to retirement folk it certainly matters.

Going to be very interesting!!

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
McKeen's Yearbook 2019-20 - A stand-out skater with nice hands. You can’t miss Boqvist if you see a game where he plays. As for skating with the puck, you could almost see style similarities with high elite talents like Jack Hughes or Connor McDavid. Boqvist doesn’t have their hockey sense or skillset, though. His senses and skills aren’t bad on the other hand and he is an interesting middle six forward prospect and has strong NHL potential for that role. He put up 35 points in 51 SHL games last year. He is a strong puck carrier and with zone entries. He still needs to work on his decision-making regarding when to carry or when play or dump the puck, which makes him inconsistent. Boqvist wants to create and to make stuff happen and that is a good trait. He will have a chance to make the Devils this season and if he doesn’t, he will be back for another year in SHL. - JH

The two PIM's make me sick as does the Heinen comparison but he is a cheap gamble. Not how you build a contender but it is how you try to supplement a team with no real prospects.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Did he though? Very flukey year last year was. Pulling out games they should have lost or getting insane goaltending to hold a lead. None of that translated to playoff play though.

So even if the same squad returned I’d have expected a less impressive regular season if only for the elimination of breaks and a normalization of goaltending. Coupled with a weaker roster…. by design…I think expectations all around have to be much lower and I think FO expectations and actions reflect their anticipation/high probability of a rough year….the accepted outcome of the climb out of cap hell.
Ultimately it could be a more satisfying and dramatic year . I was actually getting kind of bored with last year’s season around February and we all had a sense impending doom was coming and it did . The Bruins will likely have to scratch and claw just to make the playoffs and the last few months it will almost be like the playoffs. Just make the dance and roll the dice .

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Speed speed speed. I love speed. I watched his highlights. He has upside for sure. Speed and hands. I bet he finds his offence a bit this year. I predict 10-15g and 30-40 apples from him.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Did he though? Very flukey year last year was. Pulling out games they should have lost or getting insane goaltending to hold a lead. None of that translated to playoff play though.

So even if the same squad returned I’d have expected a less impressive regular season if only for the elimination of breaks and a normalization of goaltending. Coupled with a weaker roster…. by design…I think expectations all around have to be much lower and I think FO expectations and actions reflect their anticipation/high probability of a rough year….the accepted outcome of the climb out of cap hell.
I agree for the second part of the year, after christmas break, they won a lot of games where goalies saved their ass, they ve been opportunistic, they were not playing good, bad turnovers, soft plays etc...sometimes it was brutal to watch

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
McKeen's Yearbook 2019-20 - A stand-out skater with nice hands. You can’t miss Boqvist if you see a game where he plays. As for skating with the puck,. Boqvist doesn’t have their hockey sense or skillset, though. His senses and skills aren’t bad on the other hand and he is an interesting middle six forward prospect and has strong NHL potential for that role. He put up 35 points in 51 SHL games last year. He is a strong puck carrier and with zone entries.. Boqvist wants to create and to make stuff happen and that is a good trait. He will have a chance to make the Devils this season and if he doesn’t, he will be back for another year in SHL. - JH
The two PIM's make me sick as does the Heinen comparison but he is a cheap gamble. Not how you build a contender but it is how you try to supplement a team with no real prospects.
Funny.

It's so you.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
McKeen's Yearbook 2019-20 - A stand-out skater with nice hands. You can’t miss Boqvist if you see a game where he plays. As for skating with the puck, you could almost see style similarities with high elite talents like Jack Hughes or Connor McDavid. Boqvist doesn’t have their hockey sense or skillset, though. His senses and skills aren’t bad on the other hand and he is an interesting middle six forward prospect and has strong NHL potential for that role. He put up 35 points in 51 SHL games last year. He is a strong puck carrier and with zone entries. He still needs to work on his decision-making regarding when to carry or when play or dump the puck, which makes him inconsistent. Boqvist wants to create and to make stuff happen and that is a good trait. He will have a chance to make the Devils this season and if he doesn’t, he will be back for another year in SHL. - JH

Received one 4th place vote for the Lady Byng.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad