Jersey Ads

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Screen Shot 2023-10-05 at 2.20.06 PM.png

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Walking away isn't the answer. People need to boo their GM, Owner and bring signs to the arena that call out this travesty. Even in public, Owners should be made to feel uncomfortable.
Why aren't the players in this group too? More ad revenue equals more money in their banks.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
It used to be the jerseys were off limits, but here we are. It doesn't take a psychology major to see how they go about it either. Start with small ads that are visible but not obnoxious. Give people a few years to condition them. Add another ad. Give them a few more seasons to condition them, etc

The problem is if you give them an inch they take a mile
“Give them”? They own the teams and they play on the teams.
You didn’t give an inch. You didn’t have one to give.

Not just sports … I’m always amazed when people think they have the right to tell others how to earn/spend money.
Teams should bring in 5-10 million less because you don’t like how they legally procure it? The players salary cap should be 3 to 4 million less per team (real money players wouldn’t earn) because you don’t like a 2.5 x 3.5 inch patch on a jersey and an 2 x 1.5 sticker on a helmet?
Get over yourself.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Not just sports … I’m always amazed when people think they have the right to tell others how to earn/spend money.
Teams should bring in 5-10 million less because you don’t like how they legally procure it? The players salary cap should be 3 to 4 million less per team (real money players wouldn’t earn) because you don’t like a 2.5 x 3.5 inch patch on a jersey and an 2 x 1.5 sticker on a helmet?
Get over yourself.

Why do we give a shit how much money they make? I don’t give a shit. Just like the league doesn’t give a shit about the fans. I have never seen a league shitting on their fans in so many ways like the NHL. They expect fans to buy these jerseys with the dumb ads on them? Why does everything has to have an ad on it? It’s pure greed. A team like the Leafs, for example, needs an ad on the jersey to generate a little money? Come on. It’s greed.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Only cheap Chinese knock-offs are lacking the Official™ team sponsor patches. You're not buying/wearing obviously fake fabrications, are you? At this point I'd be embarrassed to show up to the arena without a sponsor patch.

no, but I'm not wearing one with a shitty insurance company on it. I don't need another official one at the moment.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Only cheap Chinese knock-offs are lacking the Official™ team sponsor patches. You're not buying/wearing obviously fake fabrications, are you? At this point I'd be embarrassed to show up to the arena without a sponsor patch.
Embarrassed to show up without one, what.
I have enough to never buy a sponsor patch one now. Now finally have an excuse to not buy any.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007

Get over yourself.
There's an easy solution for fans who disapprove of ads- don't buy team merch. Ads will disappear if teams are making less than there did prior to accepting ad money. Teams will have no incentive to stop the ads if people keep buying the merch.

Reactions: luiginb

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
no, but I'm not wearing one with a shitty insurance company on it. I don't need another official one at the moment.
It's now an official mark of authenticity. You'd wear a football kit without the sponsor on the front? It's just a shirt at that point - and a cheap looking one at that.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
If it’s like all other teams then jerseys purchased anywhere online won’t have the ad.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
If there’s a line, the league executives and the consultants they pay to find revenue opportunists haven’t found it yet.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Why do we give a shit how much money they make? I don’t give a shit. Just like the league doesn’t give a shit about the fans. I have never seen a league shitting on their fans in so many ways like the NHL. They expect fans to buy these jerseys with the dumb ads on them? Why does everything has to have an ad on it? It’s pure greed. A team like the Leafs, for example, needs an ad on the jersey to generate a little money? Come on. It’s greed.
I don’t disagree. The post I responded to indicated we allowed owners to do something and they did more than what we permitted.
They can do pretty much whatever they want with their team.
Your choosing to buy a jersey (or not) is the after the fact reaction. … not “we gave an inch”.
Personally, I haven’t bought a hockey (or any sport) jersey in decades. I cheer for my favorite team but choose wiser investments over team colors.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
Fast forward 30 years to the locker room of an NHL team getting a pep talk from the coach before a huge game:

Coach: "...And remember, men, it's not the name on the back of the jersey that matters!!!"

Team: We know! It's the name on the front of the jersey!!!"

Coach: "Well, actually guys, it's the Menard's patch on the shoulder! I mean, who wouldn't want to save big, big money!! Now get out there and make our sponsors proud!!"

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If there's a significant reduction is jersey sales they'll have no choice but to sell them without the ads. Don't have them removed at a tailor, just don't buy them for now. The fans collectively have the power to put an end to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad