Jersey Ads

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Oh, so as soon as they recover their losses, the ads will go away, right?
No, but I ultimately don’t care. It doesn’t affect me and brings revenue into the league.

I mean, people were just carrying on about viewership, must they’re considered about the money the league brings in. This helps.

I just think hockey fans tend to be whiny af, if there’s something to bitch about, they will. There’s an ad. Who cares? Why does it matter. Do I want to see nascar style uniforms…absolutely not. I don’t care for the ad placements, but it has zero affect on me and brings money into the league. So I’ll look at the positive for now.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
No, but I ultimately don’t care. It doesn’t affect me and brings revenue into the league.

I mean, people were just carrying on about viewership, must they’re considered about the money the league brings in. This helps.

I just think hockey fans tend to be whiny af, if there’s something to bitch about, they will. There’s an ad. Who cares? Why does it matter. Do I want to see nascar style uniforms…absolutely not. I don’t care for the ad placements, but it has zero affect on me and brings money into the league. So I’ll look at the positive for now.
The entire experience is saturated with advertisements, which absolutely negatively impacts my experience. Hard to get into the spirit of the game when every five minutes you are inundated with some sort of "in your face" advertisement to try and get you to buy X product.

It's been a slow squeeze for years, and I have certainly watched a lot less hockey as a result. Seeing ads on the jerseys is just icing on the cake for me.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
As others have mentioned, these aren't ads. That's a whole other discussion.

They are however another example of the NHL's penchant for bad design and aesthetics.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

For me when I complain about the endless ads the league implements year after year, it's not about the principle. It's about actually watching the game.

The increasing number of ads makes the game harder, uglier, and less clear to watch. Especially with the latest abomination that is the digital ads on boards, many of which are animated. The eye is drawn to movement, which is why the ads do that. To draw your eye to the advertisement and away from the hockey actually being played.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
The cup logo being there is fine.

The actual ad on the other side is too small. It needs to be bigger.
In fact, I think it's dumb to have only 1 ad on the jerseys. There's so much empty space on the jersey they could put more ads on to generate more revenue. Throw something underneath the team logo on the front. The upper-arms look bare too. Not sure why the NHL is leaving all this money on the table.

Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007

You say that you don't care about jersey ads, then say that you don't care for the ad placements. You also state that you absolutely do not want NASCAR-style uniforms. Seems like you care at least a bit.

You can be sure as long as there are people who don't care about helmet decals and a small patch on a jersey we will continue to see more ads and eventually end up with NASCAR-style uniforms.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
You say that you don't care about jersey ads, then say that you don't care for the ad placements. You also state that you absolutely do not want NASCAR-style uniforms. Seems like you care at least a bit.

You can be sure as long as there are people who don't care about helmet decals and a small patch on a jersey we will continue to see more ads and eventually end up with NASCAR-style uniforms.
I’m not a fan of them, that doesn’t then mean that I waste any energy caring about them. I’m not a fan of CNN, but I spend zero time caring about it.
And no, I don’t want to see nascar style uniforms, then I may care, but for now it is what it is.

The entire experience is saturated with advertisements, which absolutely negatively impacts my experience. Hard to get into the spirit of the game when every five minutes you are inundated with some sort of "in your face" advertisement to try and get you to buy X product.

It's been a slow squeeze for years, and I have certainly watched a lot less hockey as a result. Seeing ads on the jerseys is just icing on the cake for me.
I guess, but I don’t let it affect my enjoyment of the game. It’s still hockey.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I’m not a fan of them, that doesn’t then mean that I waste any energy caring about them. I’m not a fan of CNN, but I spend zero time caring about it.
And no, I don’t want to see nascar style uniforms, then I may care, but for now it is what it is.
You don't waste any energy caring about jersey ads, but you do waste energy typing multiple posts to let people know you don't care- gotcha! Three years ago there were no ads, then there were helmet ads and now there are jersey ads. As long as you don't care, advertising will increase until teams end up with NASCAR-style uniforms.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
You don't waste any energy caring about jersey ads, but you do waste energy typing multiple posts to let people know you don't care- gotcha! Three years ago there were no ads, then there were helmet ads and now there are jersey ads. As long as you don't care, advertising will increase until teams end up with NASCAR-style uniforms.
It used to be the jerseys were off limits, but here we are. It doesn't take a psychology major to see how they go about it either. Start with small ads that are visible but not obnoxious. Give people a few years to condition them. Add another ad. Give them a few more seasons to condition them, etc

The problem is if you give them an inch they take a mile

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Lmao, you seriously having this much trouble? You quoted my post, I replied. This is a message board, not sure what’s so hard for you to grasp here. Or the hostility. Clearly you have trouble sleeping at night because of it and want everyone to have that same energy, but I don’t.

Quick fyi, I’ll respond to your post if quoted. Kinda how a message board works.

It used to be the jerseys were off limits, but here we are. It doesn't take a psychology major to see how they go about it either. Start with small ads that are visible but not obnoxious. Give people a few years to condition them. Add another ad. Give them a few more seasons to condition them, etc

The problem is if you give them an inch they take a mile
I don’t disagree.

Reactions: BB79

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I’ll file this under “things I don’t give a crap about.” The League lost money during Covid, ads are a way to make some of it back, it’s something we have to live with. Panthers ownership paid all their employees during the lockdown, if I have to see the Cup patch hug the captain patches on 3 jerseys, I’ll live with it.

In the grand scheme, they’re in the Finals, they did right during the pandemic, and this postseason has been amazing.

Soooo, who cares.

Mmmmm. Boot flavour.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Lmao, you seriously having this much trouble? You quoted my post, I replied. This is a message board, not sure what’s so hard for you to grasp here. Or the hostility. Clearly you have trouble sleeping at night because of it and want everyone to have that same energy, but I don’t.

Quick fyi, I’ll respond to your post if quoted. Kinda how a message board works.
You posted five times in this thread before I joined. Am I not allowed to disagree with your opinion? BTW, I sleep just fine, although my wife says I snore a bit.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
You posted five times in this thread before I joined. Am I not allowed to disagree with your opinion? BTW, I sleep just fine, although my wife says I snore a bit.
Replying to others. People are pissed about it and seem to have an issue with me saying I don’t care and kinda understand…as long as it doesn’t go too far.

Glad to hear you’re sleeping well.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I'm with the haters on this one. Seems like an unappealing, pointless disruption for the sake of a small ad. Add this to the animated boards and removing "Stanley Cup Playoffs" from the ice and I'm in my bitter old man era.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I don't have a problem with the patch. The league has had Stanley Cup patches on jerseys for a long time. But, I dislike where it is. If they're bound to the actual ad on the right side, then the Cup patch should be elsewhere OR smaller so it can slide under it.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
It's a cool patch. I like the design quite a bit. That placement is absolutely terrible however. I didn't like it when Detroit had the captaincy and the patch on the other side, and I don't like it now. Those two patches should never go together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad