Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 52 21.8%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 65 27.3%
  • Trade

Votes: 121 50.8%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
Lol these posters so hung up on Neely being a liar kill me. Who cares. Offer is now 64 million. The rest is noise. Take it Sway or leave it. Seems like thats the line bruins are at. Fair offer imo
It’s a fair offer and I think Swayman should take it.

Now if we fast forward a week and he was dealt for a 2nd liner and a pick, do I think our next two years look better, worse, or same?

Worse. Likely decidedly worse.

I think if it’s a true business decision we have to consider that perspective.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
No one. The point is what can Swayman do if it is? If he is starting at $9.5, he's not in the real world of player value. No sense negotiating more. Put the final offer out and he has x amount of time to sign it. Otherwise, we give you permission to seek a trade or sit out.
I would respect your position on that. I don't think he's getting anythng with a 9 either.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
What I think is something that should be a point of order is the Swayman position.

The Bruins are trying to sign a player at a fair market rate.

Swayman values himself at X then says he’s going to reset the goalie market thereby effectively admitting that he is over valuating himself X+a bump everyone else can slot in.

Why should the bruins pay for that? They have a cup contender right up against the cap trying to win. They are going to have to cut a solid player to pay this extra amount. Let the Sabres Ducks or Utah hockey club do the leagues goalies a solid.

Until I hear Swayman relent on his stated intention of getting everyone else paid. I’m not buying he is negotiating in good faith with a true valuation of himself.

I’d move on if he doesn’t sign 8x8. It’s fair. However, I have more faith in Goalie Bob than Swayman. I’m not sure he will handle the inevitable adversity when it comes based on his statements so far.
Hey, @Vstorm07 ...Welcome to this board.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Looks somewhat simple to me. Nylander and Swayman tell or agree to have Gross
go to the mat to try to get 20-25% more than try deserve. They wait until late in the process to "step in" and become White Knights and deflect criticism.

Has any client fired Gross?
He doesn't have a lot of high-profile clients other than Nylander and Gaudreau (RIP), and even though both experienced some hiccups during their RFA contracts, neither fired him. This would seem to backup your hypothesis.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I bought the autographed picture from the pro shop.....any offers ?
I would probably try to sell it now, gut feeling is he asks for a trade. Neely went too far. Swayman isn't going to want to play for him.

No, but thats why both sides have to share the risk.

If he wants more than 8x8, then to me it seems he expects the Bruins to take pretty much all of the risk.

If so, why not just pay him $11M. After all he might be Patrick Roy part deux.
another good post.

Reactions: Number8

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I would probably try to sell it now, gut feeling is he asks for a trade. Neely went too far. Swayman isn't going to want to play for him.
If he leaves because Neely called him out and his agent he is thin skinned. Welcome to the real world Sway. Bad shit happens. Learn to live with it. Maybe business school didn’t teach him that or he skipped class

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Who are the goalies coming up for a contract soon?
There are five guys that make more than 8 now and Igor and Oettinger coming up next year. Markstrom and Demko could be extended next year as well before their walk season.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
If he leaves because Neely called him out and his agent he is thin skinned. Welcome to the real world Sway. Bad shit happens. Learn to live with it. Maybe business school didn’t teach him that or he skipped class
It could just be he doesn't have any respect for him and why should he after that. You ever have a boss lie to people on what he offered to try to embarrass you into signing a deal that wasn't even offered up until that point?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
the offer sheet compensation is pretty poor. if whatever team signed swayman for say $9.1M,
bruins would only get a 1st/2nd/3rd back. now if it's a team like columbus, it's a risky move for
them since they will probably suck considerably, even with swayman. but it's also a kick in the nuts for
boston who then needs a #1 goalie.

the timing sucks, the whole thing sucks basically. hope they figure it out.

Reactions: NeelyDan

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
It could just be he doesn't have any respect for him and why should he after that. You ever have a boss lie to people on what he offered to try to embarrass you into signing a deal that wasn't even offered up until that point?
No. A boss never lied to the media about my job salary.

Stop comparing this to the common Joe.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
the offer sheet compensation is pretty poor. if whatever team signed swayman for say $9.1M,
bruins would only get a 1st/2nd/3rd back. now if it's a team like columbus, it's a risky move for
them since they will probably suck considerably, even with swayman. but it's also a kick in the nuts for
boston who then needs a #1 goalie.

the timing sucks, the whole thing sucks basically. hope they figure it out.

Depends how many years. The AAV for compensation changes based on length. Any deal longer than 5 years is divided by 5 years. So an 8/8 would be 64/5, so comp would be 12.5 mil which is 4 firsts i think.

Reactions: neelynugs and BTO

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Did anyone hear any rumblings about Neely possibly lying? I couldn’t find anything like that posted anywhere in here

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
There are five guys that make more than 8 now and Igor and Oettinger coming up next year. Markstrom and Demko could be extended next year as well before their walk season.

Igor should and will make more than Sway.

Oettinger might depend on how he bounces back this year. Might be smarter for both sides take a bridge deal. If he ends up making more than 8 after a season of mediocrity, that's on Dallas for rolling the dice.

Demko is an interesting one. He's coming off a Vezina contention year and has taken fair market deals before going into his 4th contract. But hes coming off a major injury and there's still no time table of when hes back.

Sways current offered contract will still leave him somewhere in the top 10 of highest paid goaltenders for awhile. It's a fair deal now and moving forward for the near future.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Myself and @NeelyDan will kidnap Swayman and get him crippled drunk enough to sign a 7 year $7M contract on our way to pick up the @The don godfather as we venture our way across North America looking for ladies of the evening.

We will find Jeff Carter for The Don Godfather as well.
I won't trust it unless the Godfather gets picked up before the shenanigans begin.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I think we will only see movement in this negotiation if Shesterkin is extended before the season starts.
I believe I read somewhere that he doesn't want to deal with the distraction during the regular season so that seems unlikely unless they give him whatever he wants.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad