Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 52 21.8%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 65 27.3%
  • Trade

Votes: 121 50.8%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Again, how did he lie? You're making assumptions that

1. The reports that the offer before the conference was 7.8 and not 8 were true

2. Neely was speaking in past tense and not current

Of course it matters what the current offer is, are you kidding me? That's what they're looking at and currently refusing. If you're so butt-hurt over people calling Gross a liar because that's what your real focus is, that's on you - maybe you can start a legal defense fund for Gross and go after some people for emotionally giving their opinions.
And you're not making assumptions?

Gross said that was never offered. The Bruins front office now says no comment. Why the crickets? Guessing Neely didn't read the pages in the Loretta Lynch report about not telling the truth going forward? Hmmm

Best part is If Gross says the Bruins have 64 million reasons to have Swayman on their roster right now and they said no, they never came down to there you would be leading the Gross is a liar charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Quincy

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I will be shocked if the Bruins sign him for more than that 8x8. That line has been drawn and I think it only goes down from here not up.
For a team that has had 7.3 million in overage charges or whatever the past two years you would think they would be smart enough to maybe go to 9 if that's what he wants. They have no issue paying money to ghosts, so lets hold the line here and **** our season up.

Vstorm07

Oct 2, 2024
What I think is something that should be a point of order is the Swayman position.

The Bruins are trying to sign a player at a fair market rate.

Swayman values himself at X then says he’s going to reset the goalie market thereby effectively admitting that he is over valuating himself X+a bump everyone else can slot in.

Why should the bruins pay for that? They have a cup contender right up against the cap trying to win. They are going to have to cut a solid player to pay this extra amount. Let the Sabres Ducks or Utah hockey club do the leagues goalies a solid.

Until I hear Swayman relent on his stated intention of getting everyone else paid. I’m not buying he is negotiating in good faith with a true valuation of himself.

I’d move on if he doesn’t sign 8x8. It’s fair. However, I have more faith in Goalie Bob than Swayman. I’m not sure he will handle the inevitable adversity when it comes based on his statements so far.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Ridiculous. Even Friedman said 8x8 is on the table. This $7.8 or $8 offer and when was it offered are just playing internet lawyer games. Totally irrelevant. Why do the Bruins need to say more? They made their point, and it sounds like it's their final offer. Swayman is also getting roasted right now in the local media, so seems to help the Bruins in the PR battle as well. Now Gross can use all this leverage I've been told Swayman has to make his next step. But sure, Neely is a liar and Bruins look bad.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm not assuming that. I'm going with what we know is fact - there's a 64 million dollar offer RIGHT NOW. How long it's been there for is anyone's guess and I honesty don't care. What's important is that it's there and still not enough.
That's not an offer, c'mon.

How is the yearly pay structured? What is the NTC situation? Is there lockout protection. You can't just say what Cam did and have that be an "offer".

There's a reason why you don't negotiate in the press or in public. At least that's what people were saying a week ago. Funny how that changes.

Thinking more like Kent Johnson

Columbus needs G & cap compliance

Gross gets revenge on Donny & gets his guy paid

If only there was this thing where you could search for information really easily, and get results in one second

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Ridiculous. Even Friedman said 8x8 is on the table. This $7.8 or $8 offer and when was it offered are just playing internet lawyer games. Totally irrelevant. Why do the Bruins need to say more? They made their point, and it sounds like it's their final offer. Swayman is also getting roasted right now in the local media, so seems to help the Bruins in the PR battle as well. Now Gross can use all this leverage I've been told Swayman has to make his next step. But sure, Neely is a liar and Bruins look bad.
It was 7.5 Not sure why people keep saying 7.8... So yes you are correct about Neely being a liar, 7.5 x 8 is 60 million, not 64 million.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
What I think is something that should be a point of order is the Swayman position.

The Bruins are trying to sign a player at a fair market rate.

Swayman values himself at X then says he’s going to reset the goalie market thereby effectively admitting that he is over valuating himself X+a bump everyone else can slot in.

Why should the bruins pay for that? They have a cup contender right up against the cap trying to win. They are going to have to cut a solid player to pay this extra amount. Let the Sabres Ducks or Utah hockey club do the leagues goalies a solid.

Until I hear Swayman relent on his stated intention of getting everyone else paid. I’m not buying he is negotiating in good faith with a true valuation of himself.

I’d move on if he doesn’t sign 8x8. It’s fair. However, I have more faith in Goalie Bob than Swayman. I’m not sure he will handle the inevitable adversity when it comes based on his statements so far.
That's what you translated "I can't ruin the goalie market" as? Interesting

Lol these posters so hung up on Neely being a liar kill me. Who cares. Offer is now 64 million. The rest is noise. Take it Sway or leave it. Seems like thats the line bruins are at. Fair offer imo
Well I don't like my team President lying about offers to my star players.

Also the 64 million has been there for two days. Maybe give them a chance to read it since they were the last people to find out?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
That's what you translated "I can't ruin the goalie market" as? Interesting

Well I don't like my team President lying about offers to my star players.

Also the 64 million has been there for two days. Maybe give them a chance to read it since they were the last people to find out?
Fair enough. But Sways agent is no saint in these negotiations. He has used the media as well

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
The fact that all of us know these numbers is how Gross negotiates; not privately, and not in good faith.

I don't know what the numbers are and am not privy to what the exact numbers should be.

But I do know that we all know these numbers and this whole situation went public because of Swayman's agent.

I do not want to have players represented by him in the future in Boston.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Have they set a deadline for a response from Swayman's camp on the 64 mil? It's a little daunting trying to read back through 1900+ posts.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
He's an agent, and a good one I guess, scummy like Scott Boras
Good? I wouldn't say that. Regardless of where you stand, his client is being thrown through the mud and has a fractured relationship with his employer now as a result of the agents decision to go public with negotiations.

It may in fact result in getting the money higher, but time will tell at what cost.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Good? I wouldn't say that. Regardless of where you stand, his client is being thrown through the mud and has a fractured relationship with his employer now as a result of the agents decision to go public with negotiations.

It may in fact result in getting the money higher, but time will tell at what cost.
Yeah his wmployer is acting like the greasy agent too

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Can you guarantee that if he eclipses Shersterkin's performance who signed for much higher than $9M that you'll then readjust his salary in a few years? Or it's ok if he does better but not worse? It's a risk both ways and that's the conundrum.
No, but thats why both sides have to share the risk.

If he wants more than 8x8, then to me it seems he expects the Bruins to take pretty much all of the risk.

If so, why not just pay him $11M. After all he might be Patrick Roy part deux.

Reactions: BTO

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Yeah his wmployer is acting like the greasy agent too
Once one side goes public, both get out the mud.

Let's not lose focus on how they all got here in the trenches. This was the plan of the agent to bring it public and to this position.

Now both look bad and the relationship could be beyond repair...

...and this is where Gross wanted to take it.

Ad

Ad

Ad