Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 52 21.8%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 65 27.3%
  • Trade

Votes: 121 50.8%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
IMG_9932.jpeg

Reactions: dangermike

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
And now the big one....
Do I want to be known as the goalie who set the market, or would I rather go down in history as a (hopefully) Stanley cup winning goaltender

I don't think it's Swayman.
What clout does Swayman carry to do such a thing?
He's played 140 games.
Swayman is being used by his doink-off agent.
He's the one who clearly will benefit. Agents do not look for the best interests of teams.
Their bottomline is how they can coat their own pockets.

Reactions: MoffatMan

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think he does too. I also think Korpisalo plays the first few games of the season, plays well enough to not draw any attention to himself, then Swayman enters the fray and everybody gets pissy all over again because "Boston already has a starter"

We are all destined to argue all season
No, we’re not.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
B's should have taken the two year option
I believe someone posted in one of the earlier threads it wasn't a possibility as they were up against the cap and a 2 year deal would've had a higher AAV than a one year. Then lots of debate that Sweeney screwed up the cap the year before (2022) with the bonus structure of Bergeron and another player (can't remember the name) which counted against last year's cap (2023) which caused the cap situation.

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
Regardless of if 64 was or wasn't on the table it's in the public now. If that number works then Swayman or Gross just needs to tweet "Send it over". The message is that it hasn't been on the table which is more telling to me.

Don't care about who's a liar and who said what- Neely nor Gross is being measured against the how but rather the outcome. The how only matters if this leads to a negative outcome for the team (or in Gross's scenario, his client's result).

Should the Bruins have moved Ullmark prior to signing Sway? Coin flip. Would it make the start of this season better? Yes- but we'd end up with more cash tied up in net later in the year if we couldn't move him after. Sway doesn't have enough leverage regardless of Ullmark being moved. If he wants to sit, he sits.

If we're anywhere near that 8x8 number we're in more than fair territory (granted there are other terms of importance to work out). Paying for a goalie beyond that as I think other's have shown the analytics for, doesn't make sense. Trading him anytime soon also doesn't likely make sense unless someone wants to make a wild splash. If not, I'd just hold off and wait. That sucks, but that's the name of the game.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
What does Sway has in common with Jarvis, Raymond, Seider, Guenther, Faber, Beniers? He is young and wants to paid for his prime years and like those players really hasn't won anything. These players got paid for their future services. Swayman is already one of the better goalies in the league with the potential to become one of the top 5. I don't have a problem to pay him for the value of his prime years. If this means he would be overpaid by 1-2 million in the first years of his contract, so let it be.
But is he if he’s on any other team. The bruins make everyone look good in goal. Put him on Ottawa and let’s see what people say. Also if any team can continue the trend of winning with a mid level guy it’s us.

I’ve really soured on this dude as a person. Kind of want to just ruin his career and sit him for 2 years. He can go up to Orono and get an MBA and figure out how to earn it back.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
And you're not making assumptions?

Gross said that was never offered. The Bruins front office now says no comment. Why the crickets? Guessing Neely didn't read the pages in the Loretta Lynch report about not telling the truth going forward? Hmmm

Best part is If Gross says the Bruins have 64 million reasons to have Swayman on their roster right now and they said no, they never came down to there you would be leading the Gross is a liar charge.

Big swing and a miss there.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Me, no, I would never give someone their original ask because I know they don't expect that. My number the whole time is 8.5 per. I would go 9 if I had to, not going to spite myself.
Its off the table now. 8x8 is final offer and is extremely fair. Whats your next step? Sit out?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Oh no I should have clarified.

I don’t know what to believe for dollar figures on the table.

I fully believe the multiple reports that $64 million wasn’t on the table and that Neely lied.
I wonder where those reports that $64M was not on the table before presser came from?

I don’t know myself what was offered and when. Why? Because I’m not one of the two or three people who is negotiating.

Good thing those reporters have been on all the calls so far. I’d hate for them to be simply relying on team or agent for this info.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Have they set a deadline for a response from Swayman's camp on the 64 mil? It's a little daunting trying to read back through 1900+ posts.
I don't know. Did Cam also shout out how the pay would be structured in each year? You know, there's a reason why contracts on paper and why snide flippant remarks at self-serving press conferences aren't considered binding offers.

But I'm not shocked Neely doesn't know that.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I thought old comps like Rask weren't allowed? Are we changing the rules now? Rask got max at 7 mil per 10 years ago....comes out to 9.5 per max now with the same percent

See easy.

Ok

You don't think getting the 7th biggest goalie contract in history is a big deal?

Reactions: Ladyfan

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I've often wondered what Linus thinks of this situation. I'm sure if asked he would say he's too busy prepping for the upcoming season to pay attention. However, he & Swayman were like brothers and I don't think Linus really wanted to leave Boston.

Maybe Sweeney should have figured out a way to keep both. I know a lot of people were saying it would be bad asset management to tie up so much money in 2 goaltenders but look at the shit the Bruins are in now.
I read somewhere that both Ullmark and Swayman wanted to be the starter so one of them had to go: they chose Swayman. I also remember that during one of Ullmark's interviews after being traded, he said he was looking forward to be a starter and playing in the playoffs. Granted, no guarantees with Ottawa for playoffs, but he will defintely be the starter.

But you're right, Sweeney didn't have to trade him, could've waited till the trade deadline or just let him walk next year. I guess it all depends on how much you value a 1st round pick. I also think management never saw this coming, otherwise, they might've done things differently.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Ad

Ad