Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 51 22.0%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 64 27.6%
  • Trade

Votes: 117 50.4%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
This is flat out wrong.

The Vezina winner last season was on a team that lost in the first round.

Oilers made the finals with some of the worst goaltending in the league.

Where did you get this one from lol.
They make up things to fit their argument. How many HOF goalies did not play for a cup?

More scrub goalie's won cups I would bet.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
My only hesitation in all of this is when people point to Gibson as comp and I pause, look at how that has worked out for Anaheim and then hesitate once again.
It's a risk even for the most proven goalies. Looking back 5 years how many guys have been a consistently top 10 goalie for each of the past 5 seasons? Maybe just Hellebuyck?

Gibson is probably worst case scenario here, but he's also been on a dogshit team most of the time

Edmonton had volatile goaltending. Not one of the worst. One of the worst got spanked in round one and now plays in Boston
Kuemper may have had one of the worst performances in recent cup memory and still won. We don't have the firepower of the Avalanche though

Reactions: Bodit9 and lopey

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
You can say that about any contract. That the guy could stink in a few years.

Korpisalo stinks today. And they don’t have a backup with any NHL experience whatsoever. From the catbird seat to a laughingstock at the goaltending position. The rest of the team may be okay (may not be - we’re not sure). But I promise the Bruins have no chance if Korpisalo X Bussi is the result of this nonsense. None.
So I guess the solution is hell with the Cap pay the guys ransom and hope he doesn't blow moving forward in the number one roll.

Bruin have one if not the best group of D man, they can make a trashcan look good.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Why will it be a bargain? because we will have more money to spend if and when the cap goes up? One has nothing to do with the other in my view.

A players worth is a players worth. As far as over paying for defenseman Im ok with that. The goalies don't mind either because it helps them look better than they really are.

I will go on record and predict Korpo will look underpaid this season.
Because the cap goes up making today's high dollar deals less as time goes by? That's the reason you want to lock the player into long term contracts. You pay more initially, but by the end, you're making out because its far less than market value?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Why would swayman be embarrassed by the Bruins saying they offered him 64 million if he wasn’t ever going to accept it anyways? Was embarrassed by the offer being to low?

I do know Sweeney and Cam were embarrassed a few times by Gross leaking stuff to Chiclets about the negotiation though.
Well said....

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Because the cap goes up making today's high dollar deals less as time goes by? That's the reason you want to lock the player into long term contracts. You pay more initially, but by the end, you're making out because its far less than market value?
While I agree with you on this its doesn't normally happen for goaltenders

Reactions: LSCII

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
after that stunt? I'm sure he is thinking if he even wants to play with them after their "coordinated effort" to embarrass him.

Also, the offers if true were at 7.5 per up until Neely's lie of 8 which was 2 days ago. So he shouldhave signed for 7.5?
Just hope goalie Bob is consulted and he knows one of the available guys has the goods and he can do his magic to make them repectable.

Reactions: BMC and 4ORRBRUIN

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Neither Am I but the cap and players have limitations. Does that cap hit make the Bruins a cup contending for the next 8 years if that's his ask?

Answer is nobody knows but Im willing to bet the real answer will be no. Never bet on a goalie being nothing better than good to average over an Eight year period.

That's why the Bruins need to flex their RFA rights to safeguard against this potential lemon contract that could be way worse than Backes. This kid seems like a headcase and fans will be all over him if he falters. Never seen a Bruin carry himself like he has this offseason . Don't get taken advantage of by this agent or the media pressure would be their best course of action

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That last line is a head slapper.

You're talking about hypocrisy, but before that you say, "If you don't like it, don't read it and don't respond to it."

Well...if you don't like things....then maybe you shouldn't read things...and you shouldn't respond to things. Although, that's all you do.

Otherwise, fine with counter points, yours is just extreme.

But whatever, enjoy your attention...
Thank you, I will enjoy myself because this thread is a howl. So many people suddenly became management shills acting like it's their money. The same people never complained when the front office overspent on a bottom of the roster stiff, but this is the guy that made them draw a line in the sand?

Simple question for you. Is the team better or worse without Swayman?

Yeah, your firm and factual take that "comps don't matter" was so compelling that I agree - no need to revisit that one *laughing emoji*
You didn't answer the question because we both know any comp is biased depending on who picked it, especially when there isn't an arbitrator to decide who was right. So why do that dance when everyone and their brother realizes it's inherently flawed.

:biglaugh:

Reactions: Sevendust

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
You didn't answer the question because we both know any comp is biased depending on who picked it, especially when there isn't an arbitrator to decide who was right. So why do that dance when everyone and their brother realizes it's inherently flawed.

:biglaugh:

Please dont lump me in with your logic, that's more insulting than calling me a ballwasher

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Edmonton had volatile goaltending. Not one of the worst. One of the worst got spanked in round one and now plays in Boston
200w (1).gif

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
So what's his max value according to you. 7.75-8? If its 8, then you're saying he overvalues himself 10%. So you're up in arms at 10% overpay?
Liar! If Swayman is asking $9 and they're offering 8 then it's a 12.5% overpay.

(Obviously I don't think you're a liar, I'm just drawing a parallel to Neely's "lie" that 62.4 isn't the same as 64. Draw your own conclusions.)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Please dont lump me in with your logic, that's more insulting than calling me a ballwasher
I never called anyone anything. You claiming that is on you. :biglaugh:

And again, you can continue to avoid answering the question all you want, I know exactly why. The truth is what I said and it's obvious to anyone being remotely objective. And I mean that for both sides of the comps. They are worthless.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You answer the question is a round about way. Swayman can turn out to be just like those guys. 8 years is a longtime

So we will stink wo Swayman is your position.

I don't agree.
I certainly am not speaking for MMB, but I don't think they stink without Swayman. I think the more accurate way to look at is their margin for error without Swayman is smaller, making it harder to win consistently.

Fair?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad