Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 50 22.3%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 62 27.7%
  • Trade

Votes: 112 50.0%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: nORRis8 and BMC

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
the sign linus camp is HILARIOUS

who honestly thinks hed come back here - sway is his friend and they pushed him to ottowa... am taking crazy pills lol

You ever see Lebron being a Cav again?

Of course Linus can return. The Bruins made a business choice once Linus approved it. Linus was simple the older goalie. Had he been the younger one, he was staying. If you offer Linus good money, and his kids come back to all their friends? Easy choice. You don't need to overthink it.

Linus would be thanking Sway for opening the door back up. And actually at the deadline this year if Ottawa is out....

Reactions: sarge88 and Bodit9

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Nobody knows, but I heard while reading all the conjecture that they’re at 8per and Sway is at 8.5. Ffs. Just go to 8.1 and maybe some bonuses and call it a super win for Sway and his camp of robbers.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm getting to the "go f*** yourself" stage of this now.
I am trying to not get there.

I still think Jeremy is a good kid but has been naive and is misled by his terrible agent.

Bs have spent time developing Sway. He is good. I hope he has matured enough to not hold a grudge if he signs.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I really do wonder if the Sens would accept a trade straight up for Ullmark?

The Sens get the much better deal long term, if they want to pay him, and the Bruins get their goalie for the next half decade.

• Wow
Reactions: SonnyBoy

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Nobody knows, but I heard while reading all the conjecture that they’re at 8per and Sway is at 8.5. Ffs. Just go to 8.1 and maybe some bonuses and call it a super win for Sway and his camp of robbers.

That's me, also

8.1x8

the 100k is a rounding error in a few years. It already is.

Reactions: GloveSave1

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
8 x 8 is more than fair.

Swayman's goalie brethren for whom he claims he's is fighting the good fight might be very happy with him. But my back of the envelope take on things is that Bruins fans appear to be rapidly losing patience and starting to not give a shit whether he signs or not. And that is a big swing from a week or so ago.

Fun math fact for Swayman.

8x9 (presumably what he wants) = $72M
8x8 (what Boston has put out there) - $64M

Difference? $8M. Exactly the same amount he'll lose (based on B's $64M number) if December 1 comes and goes without him signing.

And if he thinks a 25 year old goalie without a huge workload history can sit out a year and then come back and demand big dollars (from Bruins no less) he might be disappointed.

His business courses aren't serving him quite as well as he thinks they are.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I am trying to not get there.

I still think Jeremy is a good kid but has been naive and is misled by his terrible agent.

Bs have spent time developing Sway. He is good. I hope he has matured enough to not hold a grudge if he signs.
He's got to mature a little bit more and realize his agent works for him, not the other way around. If it doesn't get done soon he's going to be tanking his value in the eyes of the league and the team.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I really do wonder if the Sens would accept a trade straight up for Ullmark?

The Sens get the much better deal long term, if they want to pay him, and the Bruins get their goalie for the next half decade.

Would need to be an extended Linus.

But the Sens won't pay Sway 9.5M btw

Reactions: GloveSave1

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
If they sign him for $8 milllion, they can't call up anybody without putting the player on LTIR. Either that or go with a 22-man roster.

Swayman needs to grow up and stop pouting over last year's arbitration. Successfull negotiation is arriving at a solution for which both parties are satisfied. Demanding a win-lose negotiation rarely works.

Fingertools

May 29, 2019
If it's true that Sway was offered $6.5M for 8 years (almost $10M less over the first 7 years than what they gave Elias Lindholm), I would say that is a blatant slap in the face and reason enough to feel angry and no doubt started negotiations on the wrong foot.

$6.5M for 8 years is an insult and IMO not a very credible act of good faith.

I don't care if it was a "first offer" or not, Neely said in the presser that one of the things he likes about Sweeney is that "Donny doesn't lowball".

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
So some team is going to give up multiple picks and top 64 mill?
utah could do it easily i think ... and id look at vejmelka in the return with korpasalo

it wont happen and it'd hurt the goalie position this year but that'd be a fun partner with their young players/prospects

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Imagine being so delusional as a fan that you expect a top tier goalie in the league to sign a hometown discount deal in the $6s range when the team is paying a bottom of the roster defenseman $5 mill per?

Now imagine being the GM and thinking that wouldn’t get laughed at and rejected immediately, especially after you already traded the other goalie from last year?

Now imagine being the player who was told after last years arbitration hearing that it wasn’t personal and just business, only to see the team president doing a character assassination on you during his presser, while saying they offered you something they never did, which feels really personal?

To me this screams that the team simply wanted to move him all along, which is why they took back Korpisalo in the Ullmark trade. And Cam’s performance art at the presser was designed to gain support for the move by painting the player to be a malcontent.

And guess what? It’s working . The management ball washers have all fallen in line and taken the bait. Swayman bad. Cam and Don good. LOFL

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I want Swayman back in Boston signed to a long term deal, and I was feeling good about this getting done up to a few weeks ago. But, once regular season games are missed I think it would be difficult for the two sides to mend fences, and I think he will lose a lot of support from the fanbase that has been built up throughout his career in Boston.

I love confidence in a goalie, and Sway is certainly betting on himself now but if this is not resolved in the next few days it might be impossible to mend fences.

Not that I want to see it happen, but could he play in the KHL this season as an RFA? What kind of salary could he make there...would it be worth it?
If Swayman decides to go to the KHL based on the wisdom and business acumen gleaned from a couple of U Maine Intro to Business 101 classes, me thinks UMaine won't be fighting LSE for world rankings in B School listings. :laugh:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

To me this screams that the team simply wanted to move him all along, which is why they took back Korpisalo in the Ullmark trade. And Cam’s performance art at the presser was designed to gain support for the move by painting the player to be a malcontent.

And guess what? It’s working . The management ball washers have all fallen in line and taken the bait.
You can tell they wanted to trade him all along when they offered 64 million dollars to the guy with less than 150 games in the NHL.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
If it's true that Sway was offered $6.5M for 8 years (almost $10M less over the first 7 years than what they gave Elias Lindholm), I would say that is a blatant slap in the face and reason enough to feel angry and no doubt started negotiations on the wrong foot.

$6.5M for 8 years is an insult and IMO not a very credible act of good faith.

I don't care if it was a "first offer" or not, Neely said in the presser that one of the things he likes about Sweeney is that "Donny doesn't lowball".

6.5m is a fine offer for an rfa with Swaymans playing history imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad