Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 45 23.8%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 53 28.0%
  • Trade

Votes: 91 48.1%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
You think he's all cool and ambivalent??? Dream on. He's got a huge pile of chips on the table and is nervously watching the roulette wheel spin alternating between "I'm gonna be rich" and "I shoulda quit while ahead before letting it all ride".
You're talking about a person whose job is probably the most stressful in the sport and who is counted on to win games in high pressure situations. He knows he's going to get paid eventually, sooner or later, in Boston or otherwise, at the amount he wants or less but either way a lot. He's already rich ($5.5M career earnings) and is going to get richer. I'm gonna say, he's just fine right now.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'd legit offer this guy a 1 year 6.5 million dollar contract, bonus driven, to get him up to 8-8.5 if he really delivers. If he delivers, he gets 8.5 million, he gets to negotiate one more time before UFA and likely gets his 8.5-10.5 million per year he is looking for. If he shits the bed with the increased workload, maybe we move him or sign him for a shorter term at less money.

Why would he do that? He hasn't done enough to prove he's a 8.5-10.5 million dollar goalie signed long term in the NHL. That is the knock on him right now, he was a tandem guy since he's entered the league and hasn't proven he can handle the #1 goalie workload to date. If he truly believes in himself and thinks he's a top 5 goalie, then bet on yourself. Don't think the Bruins are going to shoulder all the risk on you being this stud goalie when you haven't been "the guy".

If he's nervous about injuries or sucking, then shut your mouth, take the 8x8 and focus on stopping pucks.

He’s not eligible for bonuses. Only signing bonus which counts against aav
Performance bonuses only for 35 and over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dizzay

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
FWIW, Frank Seravalli is reporting that the Bruins' most recent offer is 8-years, $62.5 million.

Swayman is at 8-years, $68 million.
This means that Frank Seravalli is saying all this acrimony and drama is over $680K per annum ($500K per annum if you use the now public $64Million)?

I find that hard to believe. Really hard to believe.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Who provided these numbers to Seravalli and Friedman all of a sudden after the $64M offer came out? Why didn't we hear these numbers before yesterday?

Smells like Gross is trying to save his own ass. It sounds like Neely will be on 98.5 later this afternoon so hopefully we will get some clarification.

idk maybe Neely said $64m and they contacted Gross and asked what offer they had if $64m wasn’t true.

This is the first time either side has publicly said a number so it probably didn’t come out yet because they weren’t telling people until Neely said $64m

DavidK

Jun 10, 2021
On August 1, 2023, the Bruins and Swayman agreed to a one-year, $3.475 million contract in arbitration. After the hearing, Swayman expressed his discontent with the process, saying it was something he "never wants to do again".

Swayman clearly holds a grudge about the team deliberately underrating and lowballing him during last year's proceedings. Now he's determined to get every last penny. Good for him. The Bruins' front office needs to be better.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
The amount of people who think Gross would risk his Agents license and therefore his entire career by intentionally not disclosing a contract to swayman is insane.

Fandom is a hell of a drug.
Yeah, because a sports agent has never been accused of withholding offers from a client before. Unheard of. I mean Nylander situation...never happened, right?

Reactions: PlayMakers and GoBs

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I was thinking about doing a poll.

Who is single handedly doing more to alienate Bruins fans over the Swayman situation?

1) Gross
2) Swayman
3) Neely/Sweeney
4) @SwayHeyKid

I decided it wasn't even close.

You've gone from being a solid, rational supporter of a key player to some drama hound on a shitty reality tv show contest.

Come back to earth. Please.
I love your commentary Number8 but SwayHeyKid can say whatever he wants . Ignore him if it bothers you.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Who provided these numbers to Seravalli and Friedman all of a sudden after the $64M offer came out? Why didn't we hear these numbers before yesterday?

Smells like Gross is trying to save his own ass. It sounds like Neely will be on 98.5 later this afternoon so hopefully we will get some clarification.
That's a good question isn't it?

He likes to play the butt hurt card as he did again yesterday. Claiming he doesn't negotiate through the media. Where indeed did these numbers suddenly come from ?

Reactions: Bodit9

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
On August 1, 2023, the Bruins and Swayman agreed to a one-year, $3.475 million contract in arbitration. After the hearing, Swayman expressed his discontent with the process, saying it was something he "never wants to do again".

Swayman clearly holds a grudge about the team deliberately underrating and lowballing him during last year's proceedings. Now he's determined to get every last penny. Good for him. The Bruins' front office needs to be better.
They should send a dog in a track suit instead of front office personnel next time a player brings them to arbitration.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
They should send a dog in a track suit instead of front office personnel next time a player brings them to arbitration.

IMG_3747.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: BlackFrancis

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Why wouldn't both sides just agree on 8/64? Sounds like the most logical numbers all along and - if the reports are true - would actually even be the middle ground between what the Bruins are offering and what Swayman is demanding. Seems like this whole case escalated for no reason. None of the two sides are looking good in this.

And why in gods name did Sweeney trade Ullmark without having an extension with Swayman in place?

The relationship can be mended, but maybe we are at a point in which neither side wants to give in to the other.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The only person saying they did is Neely. Sweeney has not confirmed it at all. The agent said no. Now there are at least 4 reports saying it was $62-62.5 offered, which isn’t 64.

Time will tell who was full of shit, but at the moment, it sure looks like it’s Cam.
I think the answer is Neely said one thing. Gross said one thing. Then Gross has tried to multiple the impact of his one thing by telling 4 other people they could echo it.

There is no way in hell those "4 reports" didn't originate from Gross.

Neely vs. Gross. Regardless of how many times some "insider" says I heard x offered y.

Frank Servali ain't sitting at the negotiation table. Nor Dreger, Nor Biz.

I don't know for sure who is full of shit, but IMO hearing these outside sources saying what they heard doesn't add any clarity or legitimacy at all at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII and Gordoff

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I listened to NHL Network radio on the drive in, and one interesting thing that struck me is the leaguewide perception that, up until this point, Sweeney's job has been easy. Guys have made negotiations easy and taken a little less to stay due to the culture that Chara, Bergeron, and the core built. But the perception was that those days are now over and Swayman is just the first of several who will now take the Bruins to the mat and seek every dollar.

Sounds a lot like the "Patriot way", no?

Reactions: Gordoff

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Please show me a source that says Gross intentionally withheld an offer from Nylander
Not sure if an offer was explicitly withheld, but if you followed the situation at all it was clear after Nylander wasn't happy with Gross and wished he spoke directly to Dubas earlier. Seems likely something similar may be going on here, where Gross isn't being totally forthcoming with Swayman. It's either that or Swayman and him are both full of shit, because I don't buy for a second the alternative (that Neely is blowing smoke).

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad