Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman: VII- Swayman's agent basically calls Cam a liar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How does this saga end?

• Bridge deal

Votes: 45 24.2%
  • Long term deal

Votes: 51 27.4%
  • Trade

Votes: 90 48.4%

• Total voters

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Gee Wally

We have numerous deletions and more in here. We know tension and emotions are high.
But you folks must simply stop taking personal shots at each. Stay to topic.

If not we will be left with no choice other than adding thread bans.

BOSTON — Boston Bruins president Cam Neely suggested Monday that the team has made an eight-year offer to unsigned restricted free agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman at $8 million annually.

“I don’t want to get into the weeds with what his ask is,” Neely said at a news conference at TD Garden. “But I know that I have 64 million reasons why I’d be playing right now.”

Neely did not disclose what Swayman’s ask has been but said he was surprised by it.

So far, Swayman is holding firm to his demand. It aligns with his personality of not backing down, especially following his uncomfortable 2023 arbitration hearing. According to Neely, Swayman wants to set a new market for goalies, specifically ones under team control.

“What his ask is and what we believe his comp group is,” Neely said, “are two different things.”

General manager Don Sweeney said he remains in contact with Lewis Gross, Swayman’s agent. The Bruins are not interested in trading Swayman.

“Ultimately, we’re a better team, as I’ve said all along, if Jeremy is part of our hockey club,” Sweeney said. “That’s my intention. That’s my wish. I’ll continue to work to do that. I think Jeremy and the team are both hurt in this regard. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll continue to work hard to find a settling point.”

With only three preseason games left, it is likely Swayman will miss regular-season time, even if an agreement is pending. Coach Jim Montgomery designated Joonas Korpisalo as his goalie for the regular-season opener against the Florida Panthers on Oct. 8, regardless of Swayman’s situation. The Bruins have two full practices remaining in camp.

“Where we are in camp right now, with how well camp has gone and how well Korpisalo has done,” Montgomery said, “right now, he’s going to be our Game 1 starter.”

How good is the offer?​

Swayman would become the fifth-highest-paid goalie in the NHL under the Bruins’ offer, behind Sergei Bobrovsky, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Connor Hellebuyck and Ilya Sorokin. Only Vasilevskiy ($9.5 million average annual value) signed his contract as a pending restricted free agent. The others were due to become unrestricted.

It is a significant payday for Swayman, considering he has never been a regular-season No. 1 goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
There is zero proof they did or didnt offer it.
The only person saying they did is Neely. Sweeney has not confirmed it at all. The agent said no. Now there are at least 4 reports saying it was $62-62.5 offered, which isn’t 64.

Time will tell who was full of shit, but at the moment, it sure looks like it’s Cam.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I have avoided this thread but after yesterday I do not believe for one second that Cam Neely just pulled that number out of his ass. This Bruins mgmt team usually gets deals done. This is a Swayman/agent issue in my eyes. Is it possible the agent never informed Swayman of the Bruins offer? And yesterday was the agent covering his own ass by claiming they never got the offer. It's not unheard of:

I am 100% on team management with this one.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Except Neely putting his credibility, reputation, and job on the line if he lied. Which is more likely?

Even if Swayman signs with the Bruins, I doubt he lasts more than 1 season here.
Neely already publicly lied during the Mitchell Miller fiasco. He's a bit of a buffoon, and that's coming from someone who is a B's fan entirely because of Cam

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Neely already publicly lied during the Mitchell Miller fiasco. He's a bit of a buffoon, and that's coming from someone who is a B's fan entirely because of Cam
I have shit on Neely for the Miller situation and how he handled Claude Julien before firing him. Neely deserves all the shit he gets, I just don't see it in this situation.
Why would his job be on the line? Jacob’s isn’t going to fire him for this. If anything, he’d get a raise…lol
It's against the CBA to do what he did if he lied.

GalleryGod72

Oct 1, 2024
the user name already pretty much says what side they are going to take in this.

if there was no cap to worry about then fine pay him what he FEEL's he is worth but there is a cap and I want a competing team this year and in the future. If he had a Vezina trophy, a few more years history to look at and beat a few more teams in the playoffs then sure he is worth the cap hit because you know what your getting right now you don't.

and he has one playoff win against the Leafs. not even sure that is worthy of going on a resume. The Leafs are a guaranteed playoff win pretty much every year. the have made it to the second round once in the last what 19 years.
Agreed! Imagine signing a goalie LONG TERM to a big money deal who never won a playoff series. You could end up looking like MIKE MILBURY in New York! lol

Reactions: Scotto74

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Except Neely putting his credibility, reputation, and job on the line if he lied. Which is more likely?

Even if Swayman signs with the Bruins, I doubt he lasts more than 1 season here.

Frank seravelli reporting the offer was 8y/62.5m

Elliott’s Friedman saying he believes the offer was between $60m-$62m

I think the number was in the high $7s and Neely rounded up in his head thinking roughly $8m a year and did quick math.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I'd legit offer this guy a 1 year 6.5 million dollar contract, bonus driven, to get him up to 8-8.5 if he really delivers. If he delivers, he gets 8.5 million, he gets to negotiate one more time before UFA and likely gets his 8.5-10.5 million per year he is looking for. If he shits the bed with the increased workload, maybe we move him or sign him for a shorter term at less money.

Why would he do that? He hasn't done enough to prove he's a 8.5-10.5 million dollar goalie signed long term in the NHL. That is the knock on him right now, he was a tandem guy since he's entered the league and hasn't proven he can handle the #1 goalie workload to date. If he truly believes in himself and thinks he's a top 5 goalie, then bet on yourself. Don't think the Bruins are going to shoulder all the risk on you being this stud goalie when you haven't been "the guy".

If he's nervous about injuries or sucking, then shut your mouth, take the 8x8 and focus on stopping pucks.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I have shit on Neely for the Miller situation and how he handled Claude Julien before firing him. Neely deserves all the shit he gets, I just don't see it in this situation.

It's against the CBA to do what he did if he lied.
It’s an easy out for him. All he has to say is he was misinformed and had approved going to $64 mill. Nobody is going to fire him for this if he didn’t get shit canned for the Mitch Miller fiasco.,

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd legit offer this guy a 1 year 6.5 million dollar contract, bonus driven, to get him up to 8-8.5 if he really delivers. If he delivers, he gets 8.5 million, he gets to negotiate one more time before UFA and likely gets his 8.5-10.5 million per year he is looking for. If he shits the bed with the increased workload, maybe we move him or sign him for a shorter term at less money.

Why would he do that? He hasn't done enough to prove he's a 8.5-10.5 million dollar goalie signed long term in the NHL. That is the knock on him right now, he was a tandem guy since he's entered the league and hasn't proven he can handle the #1 goalie workload to date. If he truly believes in himself and thinks he's a top 5 goalie, then bet on yourself. Don't think the Bruins are going to shoulder all the risk on you being this stud goalie when you haven't been "the guy".

If he's nervous about injuries or sucking, then shut your mouth, take the 8x8 and focus on stopping pucks.
Swayman isn't eligible for bonuses. 35+ or ELC's only

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Just a few hours after team president Cam Neely seemed to suggest that the Bruins have presented Jeremy Swayman with a $64 million contract offer, the restricted free agent goaltender’s agent responded with a strongly worded statement about the state of their contract stalemate.

Swayman’s agent, Lewis Gross, posted the statement on social media on Monday night.
“Normally, I do not release statements or discuss negotiations through the media,” Gross noted. “However, in this case, I feel the need to defend my client. At today’s press conference, $64 million was referenced. This was the first time that number was discussed in our negotiations. Prior to the press conference, no offer was made reaching that level.

“We are extremely disappointed. This was not fair to Jeremy. We will take a few days to discuss where we go from here.”
Gross is a piece of work. "This was not fair to Jeremy".

He's trying to get his client the most money he can. Ergo, it's not about whether Swayman needs to be treated with respect, kindness, and a nod to fair even handed love.

He's got a shark for an agent and he picked a shark for a reason. Not "fair"?!?!?! Please. What are we on the playground????

I've been in the Swayman camp all along but 8x8 is an extremely fair deal. The bullshit of who said what when and in what mean tone of voice is just childishness.

If Swayman really thinks he deserves to be paid in the absolute upper echelon of goalies (8x8 is in pretty damn rarified air already) I think he's lost me.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Swayman isn't eligible for bonuses. 35+ or ELC's only

I did not know that! Thank you, my bad!

Reactions: Lobster57

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Who the F is Frank Seravalli and how would he know this,

Swayman is a greedy prick and his agent is a well known scum bag so lets take their side as truth lololol

Swayman said he wanted to set the goalie market months ago, Hopefully he's playing somewhere else this season not sure how he can survive this is Boston.
Never happened

Reactions: Pia8988

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Trade him to the Flyers for Konecny and a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
He moves right up to our second line.....mark him down for 30-35 goals.
Cap works for us this season and leaves us with a bit of room.
I can deal with this but would Philly do it? How high are they on Ersson and they just resigned Konecny for 8 years at 8.75 a year starting next season.

YukonCornelius

Apr 13, 2018
This is quite literally the only example of Neely/current management being disingenuous, but somehow it keeps getting rehashed like they have a lengthy history of lying.

Never happened
Well it sure seems like that’s how he’s acting, despite the semantic arguments people keep making over what was/wasn’t said.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Frank seravelli reporting the offer was 8y/62.5m

Elliott’s Friedman saying he believes the offer was between $60m-$62m

I think the number was in the high $7s and Neely rounded up in his head thinking roughly $8m a year and did quick math.
Who provided these numbers to Seravalli and Friedman all of a sudden after the $64M offer came out? Why didn't we hear these numbers before yesterday?

Smells like Gross is trying to save his own ass. It sounds like Neely will be on 98.5 later this afternoon so hopefully we will get some clarification.

Reactions: Number8 and Bodit9

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This is quite literally the only example of Neely/current management being disingenuous, but somehow it keeps getting rehashed like they have a lengthy history of lying.

Well it sure seems like that’s how he’s acting, despite the semantic arguments people keep making over what was/wasn’t said.
I’m not arguing semantics. Just stating a fact on what he did and did not say, since the lie being blasted all over these threads is vastly different from what he actually said.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Just think. While Bruins Nation has been getting all wound up, spitting out literally thousands of posts about the situation... Swayman is probably holed up in a sweet condo playing X Box games all day. Maybe occasionally calling his agent every few days to see what's new. He's probably much less bothered by all this than many fans are. It's just business.
Maybe, maybe not. Season is about to start and he is not going to be in the room and on the ice with his buddies.

He's also now going to have to confront the very real possibility of sitting out the year. Neely and Gross at loggerheads is exactly the type of scenario where people could get stubbornly entrenched and we all see December 1 come and go.

Swayman texts his buddies and says "Hey, you played a good game tonight. Playoffs coming up soon! Oh hey, I got high score on COD tonight".

"Cool, Jeremy. That's, um, really cool. Talk later."

Not to mention all that time to play COD costs him $8,000,000 minimum plus. $8,000,000.

You think he's all cool and ambivalent??? Dream on. He's got a huge pile of chips on the table and is nervously watching the roulette wheel spin alternating between "I'm gonna be rich" and "I shoulda quit while ahead before letting it all ride".

Hazelwig

Feb 24, 2023
Funniest part of the whole mess was reading Lewis Gross statement lol

I followed Nylander saga basically thru Leafs HF thread for months and he was a media whore

Give me the no nonsense standup RW arguably top 2-3 in his position all time in his prime over Gross

I feel it’s likely the Bruins players are not on his side here either ~ ‘the one for all and all for one’ seems to me not applying to this kid. What he reported wants will cause player or plsyers dealt.

Saros is the comp and he has the resume

I’d still offer
4/30
6/50
8/64

Tell him pick one or you can sit out and we will eventually trade you

To me he’s very naive, gullible whatever and getting bad advice
Why does the middle option have a larger avg than the longer term? shouldn't that middle option be ~$47m?

This is interesting and could help cool the bad blood that's out there right now, but ultimately this works against the team. If Swayman has an amazing year and Igor signs some massive NY contract, then the Bruins won't be able to afford Swayman long term. The trick for management is to get the medium or long term done now, with some cost certainty at a key position and HOPE Swayman is actual as good as his projection shows him to be. I'll say it again, goalies are weird. 8 years is a long time to carry $8m if he's just a high/middle level goalie, which we have to be fair here, he is most likely to be rather than a top 5. Top ten maybe, top 5...kind of doubt it but I'd love to wrong

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Was the 64 mil true? Mentioning it out of frustration is amateur hour. Clown shoes. I said Gross is a drama queen as well if they were offered 60mil and making it seem like a crime vs humanity. I know it's rare thinking around here but the Bruins can be idiots at times, along with the agent. Sweeney I'm sure is livid.

If Gross wants 80 and the Bruins don't want to do it deal him. No problems with them doing that even if I believe it's short sighted. Probably would have been helpful for them to know this before dealing Ullmark even though Sweeney is foolishly telling people these two things are not related.

Swayman is not signing 8 per if that's not what he wants. He will more than likely try to be dealt IMO.
I was thinking about doing a poll.

Who is single handedly doing more to alienate Bruins fans over the Swayman situation?

1) Gross
2) Swayman
3) Neely/Sweeney
4) @SwayHeyKid

I decided it wasn't even close.

You've gone from being a solid, rational supporter of a key player to some drama hound on a shitty reality tv show contest.

Come back to earth. Please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad